How many hours a week are you in class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parscompacta56

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking to see what the norm is for actual in class time. I’m an incoming MD1 and just got a look at my schedule and it looks like it’ll be around 20+ hours a week of mandatory in class time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Average seems about right. Some weeks it's jammed packed, others very light. Also, my actual in class time was streaming at 2.5x most lectures lol, so not much.

Reactions: 1 users
Average seems about right. Some weeks it's jammed packed, others very light. Also, my actual in class time was streaming at 2.5x most lectures lol, so not much.
Unfortunately looks like mine is mandatory since it is all flipped classroom lol

Members don't see this ad :)
My school was also in the neighborhood of ~20 mandatory contact hours per week between classes, labs, etc. From a few conversations with faculty I got the impression that they were right up at the LCME's hours limit for class time.

Usually somewhere between 20 - 25 hours/week. As others have mentioned, actual time may vary depending on in-person attendance/playback speed. If it were up to me, I'd cap class at 3 hours/day - any more is covering too much ground per day imo.

My school has some of the lowest required in-person hours. It’s between 10-15 hours—give or take, depending on the week.

Mandatory in-person: 1-3 hrs/week during this past year. Probably 4-8 hrs/week Zoom+mandatory during M1/M2. I think we had around 15 hours of mandatory stuff over 3 weeks the last block when I totaled it all up. 3-4 hours of the 15 was seminar type Zoom where there is 0 chance of getting called on so you can workout/cook/clean while listening.

20 hours/week seem ridiculously inefficient for preclinical classes. We are adults, not middle schoolers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user