How many hours/day do you plan on studying step 1 during DEDICATED study time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawaiianhost1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours/day do you plan on studying step 1 during DEDICATED study time?

Just wanna get a feel for what most people are doing. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I studied from around 9 AM - 9 PM typically with a lunch/exercise break. I felt gains were minimal after that.

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess define "dedicated study time". I may log crazy hours in the week or so leading up to my exam but I think I'd be physically incapable of studying 12 hours a day every day for several weeks... thats insanity in my opinion.

You wouldn't be the first who used Goljan as a lullaby every night...

lol werd...best way to use it...but i realize i only catch half of what he says during that time frame because i fall asleep

used to study from 3am to 6pm...then call it a night...somedays my sleep schedule is so messed up (like today)...woke at up 1230pm...and calling it quits soon within a hour or so

I guess define "dedicated study time". I may log crazy hours in the week or so leading up to my exam but I think I'd be physically incapable of studying 12 hours a day every day for several weeks... thats insanity in my opinion.

"dedicated study time" = the weeks before Step 1 during which you have no classes and plan on doing nothing but study :)

lol werd...best way to use it...but i realize i only catch half of what he says during that time frame because i fall asleep

used to study from 3am to 6pm...then call it a night...somedays my sleep schedule is so messed up (like today)...woke at up 1230pm...and calling it quits soon within a hour or so

Yeah, I usually do 3am to 9pm.

8-12 hours, probably averaging about 10. The last hour is probably foggy as it is, I have no idea how people can stay sharp for 15 hours without illegal substances.

8-12 hours, probably averaging about 10. The last hour is probably foggy as it is, I have no idea how people can stay sharp for 15 hours without illegal substances.

I don't think they drug test @ the prometric centers.

Has anyone ever been drug tested? PM me if you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
My plan:
Quick breakfast smoothie + Red Bull at 6 AM
Workout at 630
Study from 8-12
Break 12-1
Study 1-5
Break/din 5-6
Study 6-830
Relax 830-10

Sleep 8 hours.
So total 10.5 / day. Quality > quantity if you ask me.

Where are you going with this? Haha

I'm sure many have before. Even I was when I worked for my county rec center.

lol wut? They don't test at prometric test centers. Is that even legal lmao

lol wut? They don't test at prometric test centers. Is that even legal lmao

No, obviously I know that. I just didn't understand if he meant in general or in the testing center. So I assumed he meant in general (as in for a job).

The former at least seems reasonable to ask. The latter makes me think he might be on something while typing that question. :laugh:

To allay his concerns, I had some Ritalin with me in the locker just in case I started to crap-out midway through the exam. Turned out the sleep got me through first 5 no issues, prophylactic Tylenol and Red Bull got me through the last 2 blocks.

No, obviously I know that. I just didn't understand if he meant in general or in the testing center. So I assumed he meant in general (as in for a job).

The former at least seems reasonable to ask. The latter makes me think he might be on something while typing that question. :laugh:

To allay his concerns, I had some Ritalin with me in the locker just in case I started to crap-out midway through the exam. Turned out the sleep got me through first 5 no issues, prophylactic Tylenol and Red Bull got me through the last 2 blocks.

Good call on the tylenol

What are you guys using the tylenol for and what administration (oral or what)?

Thx for PMs, apparently prometric doesn't do any urines or blood, basically nothing - we're all good to go.

The last few months of school I've been doing 9-5, 30 min for lunch, maybe 1-2 hours for school stuff, dinner + exercise + relax for 2-3 hours, then study 8-10/11. In the evenings I have music or TV on so it doesn't seem so bad. Weekends I'll skip the evening study but I'm usually at school for 8 hours both Sat and Sun. I imagine dedicated period will be similar.

What are you guys using the tylenol for and what administration (oral or what)?

Thx for PMs, apparently prometric doesn't do any urines or blood, basically nothing - we're all good to go.

What are we using it for? For the arthritis in my index finger after clicking 322 times.

Or for the inevitable headache, neckache, and backache of sitting/staring at a computer screen for 8 hours...

Popped a Tylenol 500 mg after 4th block and then one more after 5th and got through the exam in one piece. Red Bull just kept me going a bit longer + vasoconstriction effect countered any headache.

The last few months of school I've been doing 9-5, 30 min for lunch, maybe 1-2 hours for school stuff, dinner + exercise + relax for 2-3 hours, then study 8-10/11. In the evenings I have music or TV on so it doesn't seem so bad. Weekends I'll skip the evening study but I'm usually at school for 8 hours both Sat and Sun. I imagine dedicated period will be similar.

1-2 hours a day for school fills me with envy

at least 10 hours dedicated to step from last week to may 30 when I take it. I still have 2 and a half weeks of school last block tests and finals, but as far as im concerned its all step studying for here on out. If my school decides to throw in questions over the scope of step, ill gladly miss them, but most of my finals are board exams anyways which correlate reasonably well with step studying.

at least 10 hours dedicated to step from last week to may 30 when I take it. I still have 2 and a half weeks of school last block tests and finals, but as far as im concerned its all step studying for here on out. If my school decides to throw in questions over the scope of step, ill gladly miss them, but most of my finals are board exams anyways which correlate reasonably well with step studying.

Same here! Going hard with step studying bumped my class exam scores to well above average. I haven't gone to lectures all year. I feel lucky.

When we say 10 hours a day does that include weekends? Anyone take any time off during the week?

Same here! Going hard with step studying bumped my class exam scores to well above average. I haven't gone to lectures all year. I feel lucky.

When we say 10 hours a day does that include weekends? Anyone take any time off during the week?

I took Sundays off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

I haven't decided yet. I'll probably take sunday or saturdays off.