How many hours do you study per day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

exmissionary

I study between 19-23 hrs a week for my very light load of 12 credit hours. Sounds right. About 2 hours for every hour in class. How many hours do you study per day or week and how many credit hours are you taking?

Members don't see this ad.

About 2-3 hours a day, and if I have an exam that week, the number can jump to 5-10 hours a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I have 10 credits this semester (last semester, woo!), and I would say I do about... 20 hours of homework/studying/reading per week, sometimes more when I have an exam coming up. I guess that's about right... I remember being told at my orientation the summer before freshman year to expect to do 2-3 hours of homework/studying for each credit hour. Technically I only have 7 credits of homework, since I'm in a 3-credit seminar that has no exams and only a presentation at the end of the semester.

I study between 19-23 hrs a week for my very light load of 12 credit hours. Sounds right. About 2 hours for every hour in class. How many hours do you study per day or week and how many credit hours are you taking?

I always saw this question as the nerd equivalent of "How much do you bench?" Really, who cares?

Not including lab write ups, 0-5 per week and much more during final week.

About 5-6 hours a day, 6 days a week. During exams, more like 8 hours (like now :().

errrr .... 5-10 per week ....

if i have an exam

maybe 20 in a week at most ...

lots mroe to life than studying :) wish i had known that my freshman year

maybe an hour a day, but mostly I do not study until it is exam week.

zero technically excluding assignments. i'll study 0-10 hours per exam. Calc-based stuff very little since i pay attention in class, verging on 0 ... biochem and super memorization stuff I might push 10.

Calc 1, Human Anatomy/Lab, Genetics/Lab, Values Study=

~5-10 hours per week

Members don't see this ad :)
just like every other premed.......i studied 27 hours a day.

I always saw this question as the nerd equivalent of "How much do you bench?" Really, who cares?

Too true, also a chance for the Type A slackers to show that they are better slackers, maybe more efficient slackers.

Whoa, I never studied 2 hours for every hour in class except for organic 2. Nothing else came even close.

Whoa, I never studied 2 hours for every hour in class except for organic 2. Nothing else came even close.

I barely studied for orgo except the week before tests. I would go a week or more without opening my orgo book. I never attended class either. I'm not sure if this was the best study strategy for approaching orgo :) I wish I could do it over but oh well, live and learn.

Im actually up to 135 which may be light for some but I do not consider too bad since i used to have trouble lifting the bar alone :laugh:

On the note of the thread, I am taking 14 credits and honestly, I only study maybe an hour and a half or less a day... if a test is coming up. Ill just start 1 week before the actual test. It is pointless to study over a week in advance for a test and other than homework there is no real reason to study. My tests are usually in the same week and then there is a 3 week gap in between. During that gap, i wont really study for the first 2 weeks (although ill attend lecture religiously) and then begin studying for the tests the week before. Of course it depends on the individual but this study habit has really allowed me to do well and have a social life on top :thumbup:

it varies. some days i won't study at all, others i'll "bench" a good 5 hours. before a midterm or a big exam, basically any minute of the day thats not preoccupied.

Im actually up to 135 which may be light for some but I do not consider too bad since i used to have trouble lifting the bar alone :laugh:

On the note of the thread, I am taking 14 credits and honestly, I only study maybe an hour and a half or less a day... if a test is coming up. Ill just start 1 week before the actual test. It is pointless to study over a week in advance for a test and other than homework there is no real reason to study. My tests are usually in the same week and then there is a 3 week gap in between. During that gap, i wont really study for the first 2 weeks (although ill attend lecture religiously) and then begin studying for the tests the week before. Of course it depends on the individual but this study habit has really allowed me to do well and have a social life on top :thumbup:

thats true. i found if i study EVERYDAY, i have to review EVERYTHING again before an exam, so basically it kills more time. just doing the bare necessities and crunching down during test time works for me =]

thats true. i found if i study EVERYDAY, i have to review EVERYTHING again before an exam, so basically it kills more time. just doing the bare necessities and crunching down during test time works for me =]
Really? It's the other way for me. I was reviewing A&P, but got sick of it, and took the practice midterm after only reviewing 5 out of 8 chapters and got a 96%. So now I don't even need to bother reviewing the remaining 3 chapters.

Hey at least you can put plates on :laugh: do you rep this?

Really? It's the other way for me. I was reviewing A&P, but got sick of it, and took the practice midterm after only reviewing 5 out of 8 chapters and got a 96%. So now I don't even need to bother reviewing the remaining 3 chapters.

serious? i wish i was like that. perhaps you have a really good memory? even if i took a practice exam and did well, i would still freak out and study... its the paranoia. =/

gosh- maybe an hour a day during a typical week

then if it is a week with an orgo exam- 8 hours a day lol

any other exam week is basically max 10 hours a week if that- i study 30 mins for each gen ed class exam (A's in all of them) and about an hour or two for a physics exam (100 on every exam so far)

can you tell my weakest subject area???

True. But what's different here is that, some people are proud of having a really high number (look how hard I work!), while others are proud of having a low number verging on zero (look how hard I don't need to work!). So, the boasting doesn't even really have a scale. :laugh:

I don't know... I find that kind of amusing.

To answer the OP- I try to study at least 2 hrs for every hr spent in class... I find that that's about right in terms of covering the material, since cramming just doesn't work for me (ymmv). And I do study every day... I don't know what busy lives y'all are leading such that you don't have even half an hour during the day to study.

today about 5-6 hours because of a midterm tomorrow, but usually between 0-2

since the beginning of the school year, i have studied maybe 5 hours max for all of my test. well that didnt go too well :eek:. At least i am no more than 5% from an A in all of my classes.

For the past week and a half i have been studying 4 hours a day hoping to finish the semester very strong. :scared:

Need to bump up my Ochem grade by 4% to get an A, luckily the final and last test are worth 55% of my grade so i have the opportunity to bump my grade up.

0 until the week before an exam/final...before an exam, I'll usually study about 6 hours each day for a week or so. It's not a good habit, but it's worked so far. I should probably find a better strategy for Orgo, though, because I might end up with a B.

Too true, also a chance for the Type A slackers to show that they are better slackers, maybe more efficient slackers.

I love this description! That's what I am, a Type A slacker! I always think to myself, well I got this grade on a test after only studying X hours and just think of all the people in this class that studied X^2 hours and did just as well. Man, just think of how well I *could* have done if I'd studied that many hours.

It's a coping mechanism, what can I say.