How many hours do you work in a week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouthwash4hobo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Teach for America = 50+ on a good week.

Members don't see this ad :)

20-24.
To compensate for less time/sleep, I just don't take showers as often... Instead, I just do the "sniff test." What's that? Gross you say? Well, it keeps me sane. I love sleep way more than smelling attractive to anyone. I just focus on 1.) keeping out of debt and 2.) making the grades.

I also multi task with my social life. I eat/talk/watch tv/etc. all at the same time whenever I can. Then I make sure I study for my subjects on my down time. Using my time wisely is definitely something I have learned. I mean, I was just a student about a year ago and thought that was a tough pre-med life. Nothing compared to having a job added on to that. You've got to be smart about your schedule.

Comparatively, pre-med mothers have it worse.... WAY worse.

My soph and junior years I worked about 20 hrs/week, but i've now cut that back to only 8. Of course, my work was in a hospital as a CNA, so that was nice to put under clinical experience
Hrs per week: 20 For how many months: 24.

I will agree with another that time management is something that is learned sink-or-swim style with a job while in school. If you keep up with it you will be better for it. I get the impression that many on here think adcoms look favorably on keeping yourself busy either by alot of credits or school +work.

For me, if I worked I could stay out of debt, so I worked.

It seems like many doctors have never had a job before they become a doctor. I'm not sure if this is healthy?

In school, about 10 hours/week.

Out of school, usually around 40 hours/week, maybe more.

It seems like many doctors have never had a job before they become a doctor. I'm not sure if this is healthy?

:thumbup: +10000 for this. People need real life job experience.

I work full time now...probably 40-50 hours a week. But that is 40-50 hours of research work, so there is a lot of downtime.

As undergrad I did up to about 25 hours/week as a senior. Man that was crazy with an heavy courseload... but so fun. I miss being that busy sometimes, but also enjoy my temporary freedom :)

40 minimum.

wheres the poll?

Members don't see this ad :)
25 a week last two years of high school.
Cut my self off from immediate biological relatives.
40 a week all though undergrad.
35-40 hours a week past ~2 years.

10 hours a week with 5 classes (15 credits)

+1 for "on campus jobs FTW"

15 hours during school
50 hours during the summer

I worked about 7-12 hours a week while in school and now that I've graduated, I work 35-40 hours a week (plus MCAT studying).

I don't do paid work, but I do study 25 - 40 hours a week, I volunteer on community outreach projects a few times a week, and am currently working with other pre-med cohort members on a project to make our premed program REALLY excellent.

I don't get paid right now, but I think it will pay off later.

A

20 hrs/week for first four years of college
40 hours/week for last year
50-76 now that I'm out :thumbdown: Love the jobs...barely any free time :(

I was working 30 at the beginning of this semester but I had neither sanity nor a life, lol. On the other hand, now work is so slow I am begging to work. Right now I'm working <10 :(

My first attempt at college I worked 40 hours, but my grades were hideous! This part time thing is working out much better. I still feel really busy now that I'm trying to make a comeback with all the extra studying.

24 hrs/wk in high school
8 hrs/wk in college
I been working in the hospital as a CNA since I was 16.

40 hours, exactly, and 2 hours commuting to and from work every day (no car is a biatch).

It varies from 35 up to 75+ depending on projects and deadlines (and critical issues), plus I'm on call 24/7. Occasionally I'll have to work 8am-5pm, and then go in and work from 1am-3am till 5pm the following day. Plus I volunteer in a hospital 5hrs/wk.

32+ hours a week...and I have 16 credits, but only having to physically go to one class makes working easier. I love online classes =)

It varies from 35 up to 75+ depending on projects and deadlines (and critical issues), plus I'm on call 24/7. Occasionally I'll have to work 8am-5pm, and then go in and work from 1am-3am till 5pm the following day. Plus I volunteer in a hospital 5hrs/wk.

Dang....what exactly do you do? Haha I thought my hours were bad!

I work 22~24 hrs a week
4hrs a week volunteering in a E.R.
and I'm a full time student taking 13 sem. hrs currently

16 hours a week during school, 30 hours a week during the summer and on winter break.

34-36 hours per week between ER and Fire Department while in school.

Last semester i was doing ~52 hours a week while doing 18 hours at school and driving an hour to get to school and each of my jobs........needless to say my grades suffered ( 1 c and a few B's) but i learned my lesson.

At my old job I worked about 20 hours a week, but my new job has limited hours available, so now it's about 10 hours per week (with higher pay :D). I'm also taking 17 credits right now.

Typically around 20 hours a week at Applebees, but it varies.

Does anyone think having a job sucks? I'm not sure how you guys have it, but at least for me after waiting tables for an eight hour shift the LAST thing I want to do it go to the library and study (which happens quite often, unfortunately), or do anything productive.

It's too bad adcoms don't look more favorably upon jobs because they're a complete drain of time, and it takes some juggling to make time for everything, especially during test weeks.

20-30 hrs a week for the last three years.

36-48 but usually towards the lower end. I also go to class.

I work around 18-24 hours a week, usually, friday,saturday, sunday monday, at 6 hours a piece, thank god for homework at work.

Does anyone think having a job sucks? I'm not sure how you guys have it, but at least for me after waiting tables for an eight hour shift the LAST thing I want to do it go to the library and study (which happens quite often, unfortunately), or do anything productive.

It's too bad adcoms don't look more favorably upon jobs because they're a complete drain of time, and it takes some juggling to make time for everything, especially during test weeks.

I like my job, but I'm on a shift where there is no time to study. It is draining having to be at school during the day and spend the evening at work. This is why I'm trying to get the most out of my weekends by studying and trying to wake up earlier to study before class.

My first attempt at college I worked 40 hours, but my grades were hideous! This part time thing is working out much better. I still feel really busy now that I'm trying to make a comeback with all the extra studying.

I am so going part time this fall. It is such a life sucker being overworked for too long.

Haha I totally agree. A shower a day is really not necessary. But try to tell my fiance that...

Go smelly kids!

lol!

3 12's a week research gig during my gap year. Life is pretty sweet. Living on ramen noodles but I like my 4-day weekends every week :D

I use to work 10 hours on Saturday and Sunday every single week for a total of 20 hours. I stupidly took a 9 hour shift on Fridays :( . I am now trying to cut back the hours, so far I have gotten the 9 hours down to 6. So now I work 26 hours a week. I am confident I can get back down to 20 hours by the time fall rolls around.
Edit: I make calls for deaf people and sometimes it is slow so I am often able to do homework at work. I love that part about my job :)

I use to work 10 hours on Saturday and Sunday every single week for a total of 20 hours. I stupidly took a 9 hour shift on Fridays :( . I am now trying to cut back the hours, so far I have gotten the 9 hours down to 6. So now I work 26 hours a week. I am confident I can get back down to 20 hours by the time fall rolls around.
Edit: I make calls for deaf people and sometimes it is slow so I am often able to do homework at work. I love that part about my job :)

seems like a sweet gig, why cut down?

I myself work just Saturday and Sunday at the hospital here for usually 16-20 hours. Works out cause I'm usually done bye 330 or so, so I still have time to hang out with friends and homework and such.

I'm lazy.

Working is overrated.

15 hours / week for part-time job (on campus)
16 credit hours / week for school
6 hours / week for independent lab
4 hours / week volunteer at my local hospital

As much as I love my job, there are days that I hate it, and it IS really hard to go home and study after working 8 hours because all I wanna do is nap (I have to be up at 6 to be at work at 7). But I think some adcoms DO look pretty favorably upon jobs. Most of my interviewers this cycle mentioned that they were impressed that I could work as much as I do (essentially full time) and still go to school full time and maintain a good GPA. I think it all depends on how you spin it in your apps when you mention it.

Psh, Its not overrated if it pays for med school and college. Anything to keep me out of student loans or debt.

Psh...I work and I'm still in debt and have student loans out the ass. Maybe it's just expensive to be me... :oops:

Class load: 20 credits
Lab positions (independent research not for credit): 20 h/wk
Other work+volunteer: 15 h/wk (for 1 mo/semester it's 50h/wk due to theatre....)