Medical How many hours of non-clinical/clinical volunteering do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Currently a freshman finishing up my first semester. I want to look for a non-clinical volunteering opportunity at a food pantry next semester and probably clinical volunteering next year.

I know there is no set number, but how many hours should I accumulate before I apply for medical school at the food pantry, given that this will be my only non-clinical volunteering activity? I don't intend to take a gap year.

How about for clinical volunteering at a health organization? Would 200 be enough? Is it okay if my clinical volunteering only comes from one activity or do I need more? I don't intend to do paid clinical because I don't have the time commitment for it.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Minimum expectation is around 150 hours. Know you will be up against applicants who will accumulate significantly more and have a true passion for the work. Know that some service-focused schools expect thousands of hours.

Check your school's community engagement office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Minimum expectation is around 150 hours. Know you will be up against applicants who will accumulate significantly more and have a true passion for the work. Know that some service-focused schools expect thousands of hours.

Check your school's community engagement office.
Concur. And do what you love and love what you do

Reactions: 1 user
Pick 1-2 things that you find interesting (including once that is clinical) and stick with it. As said above, shoot for 150, but if you really like and have the time keep pursuing it even after reaching this time goal.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.