How many hours of Sleep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureTXDr

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that the average medstudent get between 4-6 hours of sleep at night? Just curious if I should start training. :)

Members don't see this ad.

FutureTXDr said:
Is it true that the average medstudent get between 4-6 hours of sleep at night? Just curious if I should start training. :)

Maybe on a hard clinical rotation (surgery). But I do not recommend getting any less than 6-7 hours of sleep the first 2 years. Otherwise you will have trouble learning and retaining all the info. Sleep helps memory.

On a good day, I get 5-6 hrs. During exams, about 2, though I don't recommend this (and I don't cram either... there's just a lot of material I would rather go over and over again). And don't train... savor all the hours of sleep you can get. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
most of the time you can certainly get more than that. Some exceptions may include tough exam periods during MS1/2 and rotations like surgery/OB or when you have a lot of call.

FutureTXDr said:

Getting 7-8 hours during normal coursework days is pretty normal for me. Granted, I'm not at the top of my class or anything, but it's quite feasible to sleep, do some exercise, and cook a little when you're not in exam crunch-time.

You set your own priorities once you get to med school, whether it be acing every single class or having a decent outside-of-school life and doing moderately well. Just depends on your personality, I guess. I personally need my sleep!

DocMizzle said:
Maybe on a hard clinical rotation (surgery). But I do not recommend getting any less than 6-7 hours of sleep the first 2 years. Otherwise you will have trouble learning and retaining all the info. Sleep helps memory.
Agreed

FutureTXDr said:

through trial and error i have found that i take tests best with at least 4-5 hrs of sleep. during non-test week, i normally get 6-7 hrs- it's hard for me to sleep more than 7 without waking up.

7-8 hours pretty consistantly, the week of an exam i might get a bit less but take an afternoon nap. Like ppl have said come clerkship and rotations with call, things gon change.

I spend 8 hours a night in my bed (sometimes I have trouble sleeping the night before an exam, but I still stay in bed). No less. No exceptions. I am passing so far and doing about the same as a lot of the other students. I probably spend less time socializing, but I figure it's the price I pay for being well-rested.

I probably average about 6 hrs a night, but then again I have an infant tha takes a lot of time.

I'm sleeping now more than ever.

I think high school is the real tough one with sleep. In by 8am, sports team practice in the afternoon, home by 8pm and then mandatory daily homework past midnight. I averaged like 5 hrs then. College and med school -- anything with optional classes -- you shouldn't be losing any sleep at all.

I get 8-10hrs...and when i skip class even more...

during a normal week i'll get around 7hrs of sleep each night. during exam weeks it's usually 5 or 6.

Members don't see this ad :)
stoic said:
during a normal week i'll get around 7hrs of sleep each night. during exam weeks it's usually 5 or 6.

We have 3-4 weeks between exams, so my sleep schedule changes depending on how close an exam is...the week after an exam I sleep 8-10 hours a night, then 7-8 the next week if it's a 4 week block...the two weeks right before an exam I probably sleep about 5 hours a night and then 3-5 a night, depending how stressed out I am about the material. The night before an exam I always sleep a full 8-9 hours and 7-8 the night before that, so I don't have to drink coffee that morning.

Wow, when you write it down it looks so unhealthy...

I get about 7 hours of sleep per night, including before exams. Just recently I was sick, though, and got a couple of 11-hour nights in there, which was great. I also recommend after-school naps.
Not only do I think a good night's sleep is essential (for me) for clear thinking on exam days, but I think it also helps out the ol' immune system (maybe that's an old wives' tale, though...?).

6-7 hours, and I power nap like Bill Clinton. ;)

noncesvrai

I always get 7-8 hours, even during exam week. However, there are definitely people in my class who average 3-4 hours a week. Many of them are already having problems, falling asleep during class and group work, waning health, etc. I think that any med student can afford at least 7 hours of sleep a night if they;re willing to put sleep high on the priority list. If you're the type that goes to all lectures, needs to socialize everyday, have time-consuming hobbies and want to study after class too, you're probably not going to get much sleep. Something has got to go, if you're willing to let it go. Something I miss a lot is reading non-medical books. But I still think sleep is more important for me right now; I don't function well without it. Some people function totally normally on 4-6 hours of sleep so they can cram more stuff into their day.Bottom line--how much sleep you get depends solely on you. To do well in medical school you do not need to give up any sleep.

6-8 hours on a given school night (even in clinical rotations!) + an afternoon nap whenever I can swing it.

No matter what's going on or what rotation you're on, as a med student you'll never be sooo slammed with work that you can't sleep. If you're losing sleep, it's pure bad time management and bad planning on your part (on-call as an exception of course...)

1st two years you can sleep as much as you want, given you don't waste time going to class and study at home instead. 3rd year there will be call nights where you don't sleep at all. Probably an average of 6 1/2 hrs per night 3rd year. Don't deprive yourself of sleep when its not absolutely necessary.

I usually get , on average about 7 hours a night. Some nights when I wake late(watching TV no less) I get 5-6..
I function pretty good on 5-6 hours though, I run a hella lot too...maybe that's why.

If you're studying like crazy you are going to get less..so do what I do and study during the day.

I usually get 7 ... sometimes 6, sometimes 8-9. I don't do well sitting in lecture after getting 6 hours. I feel very out of it. I'm okay with 5-6 hours of sleep as long as I'm actually doing something that engages me.

blkkd said:
I get 8-10hrs...and when i skip class even more...
:eek: i don't think i got that since i gave up my nap at 9 months of age

usually 6-7 hours of sleep is fine. i make sure i get 8 during exam weeks. a number of people are all about the studying late during exams but i get more out of a good night's sleep. from well-rested eyes... boy do they look stressed :).

FutureTXDr said:

I get 7-8 hours every night, and maybe more on weekends.

OSUdoc08 said:
I get 7-8 hours every night, and maybe more on weekends.
Wow, I'm actually pretty surprised about all these hours! Most of my friends in class average about between 5-7 hrs/day, and that's not during exam crunch time. That's why I thought my 5-6hrs was normal... apparently not... :(

rockdoc said:
Wow, I'm actually pretty surprised about all these hours! Most of my friends in class average about between 5-7 hrs/day, and that's not during exam crunch time. That's why I thought my 5-6hrs was normal... apparently not... :(

I study during lecture time, while most people attend lectures. This allows me free time later in the day.

DocMizzle said:

agreed.

For those people who are sleeping 7-8 hours per night, how many hours of sleep did you get in undergrad?

OddNath said:
Getting 7-8 hours during normal coursework days is pretty normal for me. Granted, I'm not at the top of my class or anything, but it's quite feasible to sleep, do some exercise, and cook a little when you're not in exam crunch-time.

You set your own priorities once you get to med school, whether it be acing every single class or having a decent outside-of-school life and doing moderately well. Just depends on your personality, I guess. I personally need my sleep!

This pretty much sums up my experience so far (M-2, done in April). Personally, I can put in 2-3 hours of lecture + eight hours of study, but I retain the info better and maintain my momentum better when I'm well rested, can grill some healthy food, and can watch a movie with my wife every now and then.

DrRobert said:
Undergrad: 10-12 hours/night

MS1 and MS2: 8-10 hours/night

MS3: 6-8 hours/night

MS4: 8-10 hours/night
that is not normal, or at least not average, but kuddos to you for managing to do that and get the work done. :thumbup:

Psycho Doctor said:
that is not normal, or at least not average, but kuddos to you for managing to do that and get the work done. :thumbup:

That's pretty close to me, and the people I study with.

OSUdoc08 said:
That's pretty close to me, and the people I study with.
wow, i don't know how you guys do it. But my time is not all spent studying either.

i'm used to sleeping 4 hours a day. 8 on the weekends.

sleep makes me forget stuff. well.. except the last thing i read before falling asleep. Everything before that disappears in thin air.

Psycho Doctor said:
:eek: i don't think i got that since i gave up my nap at 9 months of age
8-10 on regular school days
exam week i cut back to 6-8
weekends - sometimes 12 hrs
special holidays i have hit 18hrs

nothing says xmas to me like a nice long glass of sleep!

I find this discussion often acts as competition at my school -- whomever is getting the least amount of sleep is the most dedicated.... or something. One girl in my class, notorious for being annoyingly competitive, made it a habit to IM me at 3 am. "Still up studying? I am." It always ruined my morning when I woke up, so she's off my IM list now. :)

Anyway, I certainly have done my share of cramming during exam weeks and managed to function with 2 or 3 hours of sleep and lots of caffeine, but I function best on 7-8 hours every night, and if I do much less on a consistent basis, I get fuzzy and don't study as well. So I've learned that I don't need to hate myself for sleeping -- this is how I function best, and I even if I don't get a 4.0 I still do well in my classes, and I'm happy with that.

Looks like I'll be a sleepy girl in clinical years though.... :)

I've become so lazy since I started med school :p

I used to be up by 6:30 am, never slept past 8am on weekends, would do fine with 6 hours a night. Now, my body demands at least 8 hours a night. I am always exhausted.

During the preclinical years, sleep wasn't a problem, except for cram sessions right before exams. Seven hours was the average for me.

Clinical years - 6-7 hours on an easy rotation, much, much less on the tough ones. I averaged 4 hours nightly on my vascular surgery sub-I, and on medicine I pulled all-nighters every time I was on call (even though I couldn't take the day off post call).

mojojojo said:
One girl in my class, notorious for being annoyingly competitive, made it a habit to IM me at 3 am. "Still up studying? I am." QUOTE]

That's so dumb. :rolleyes: Med school is hard enough without that kind of negativity. Good for you for nixing her! :thumbup:

DieselPetrolGrl said:

so it's not abnormal that I've slept 13 hours today and still can't seem to stay awake?! School starts back on Tuesday, and I'm starting to get worried now that I still can't seem to get out of bed before noon...

closertofine said:
so it's not abnormal that I've slept 13 hours today and still can't seem to stay awake?! School starts back on Tuesday, and I'm starting to get worried now that I still can't seem to get out of bed before noon...

Not abnormal at all...you are sane. Hooray for all

I usually get about 6 hours of sleep...yet 10 hours of sleep on the holiday break definitely made me more sleepy and lazy.

i get around 7. sometimes less around exams, but i tend not to be a crammer, so the least i get is usually 5. there are plenty of people who get less sleep than me, but it all depends on how you study and choose to live your life.

DieselPetrolGrl said:

4-5 on regular school days
exam week i cut back to 0-2
weekends - sometimes 6 hrs
special holidays i have hit 7 hrs, not sure when but it sounded good :D

but then again it's not all academics, i get involved in a lot of things, including social activities and helping friends through difficult times; i seem to give up sleep for anything and anyone