How many hours of volunteer work should I have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Owenstm03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am planning on applying to med school with 180 hours. 50 hours of clerical work operating a security desk in the New Life section, 100 hours of clinical work as a floor host and other duties, and 30 hours of working and teaching special needs kids how to play soccer.

Do you think this is enough hours? My GPA is very low however, at a 3.2. Haven't taken the MCAT yet, so if I do very well on the MCAT, do I have a chance to get in to med school?

Also my major is Electrical Engineering.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's some hard number you need to meet. I think what's most important is that you've had enough exposure to volunteering that you can talk about it meaningfully. However long it takes you to do that is what you should go for.

Right now I am planning on applying to med school with 180 hours. 50 hours of clerical work operating a security desk in the New Life section, 100 hours of clinical work as a floor host and other duties, and 30 hours of working and teaching special needs kids how to play soccer.

Do you think this is enough hours? My GPA is very low however, at a 3.2. Haven't taken the MCAT yet, so if I do very well on the MCAT, do I have a chance to get in to med school?

Also my major is Electrical Engineering.

i dont think the number of hours is as important as the duration- schools like to see that you are committed to it. 3 hours a week for 2 years (~300 hours) is a lot better than 10- 15 hours a week 6 months. So whatever you decide, don't stop volunteering just because you hit a certain number of hours!

Last edited: