How many hours per day do you spend studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluishgreen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours a day do you put in to SN2ed's study guide? It seems though as if the chapters are really long and time consuming.

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours a day do you put in to SN2ed's study guide? It seems though as if the chapters are really long and time consuming.
3 hours on monday, 4-5 hours from tuesday to friday...Since I work on weekend, I try to study 1-2 hours on saturday and sunday if i can. On a week, I put in b/t 15-27 hours. I started a month ago and I got three months to go. It is time consuming; however, if your father or your uncle is not part of an adcom, you have to go through that.

3 hours on monday, 4-5 hours from tuesday to friday...Since I work on weekend, I try to study 1-2 hours on saturday and sunday if i can. On a week, I put in b/t 15-27 hours. I started a month ago and I got three months to go. It is time consuming; however, if your father or your uncle is not part of an adcom, you have to go through that.
:laugh: Good call

i find that 3-4 hours a day is not enough to do 1 chapter + 1/3 (from current chapter) + 1/3 from previous chapter + 2 verbal passages.

i honestly have no idea how you can do anything BUT study with the SN2ed schedule. but then again, i flew threw physics and gen chem, but i'm having more difficulty with ochem and 2nd half of bio.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have been investing at least 4 hours just to get through the content, and then however long it takes to get through the questions. Total = A LOT of time, but SO worth it.

So basically I need to dedicate the whole day to doing nothing besides studying that chapter, and doing the Q's? :-o

I think it all depends on your background and how much information you know and able to recall. I visited all the subjects after many many years of taking the classes so I had to spend three days up to a week on some chapters 4-5 hours Monday-Thursday. I spent easily 8-10 hours over the weekend.

I was unsuccessful in trying to follow the 4 month study guide. I did content review (learning the subjects) and then did passages for 8 month+. Followed by a lot of reviews and more passages as i am getting closer to the test (have not taken it yet). I know 8 month of studying is a long time but i needed it b/c all the material except bio was brand new to me.

Just figure out what works best for you and fine tune the schedule as you go.

g.luck

I'm currently putting in 4-5 hours of studying. I've only done the first chapter of TBRs so far, so I'm not sure if the chapters get longer, but my studying looks something like this:

2 hrs reviewing last nights 1/3 and verbal
1-2 hrs reading the days chapter (depends on what it's covering. I'm pretty solid in my bio and physics, chem and orgo not so much)
.75 hrs doing the days 1/3 (7min a piece)
.25 hrs doing the days verbal (have only been doing 2 a day, gotta step it up but all I have is the EK 101)(7min a piece)

Around five hrs a day for me... 1 hr reviewing last/yesterday's chapter and weaknesses from last chapter (look up in a textbook), 2 hrs reading new chapter, 2 hrs doing problems/passages.

1 hour doing verbal, 3-4 hours reading (I like to take lots of notes), and then another hour doing the passages.

LOL! I study 4 hours a day. Usually in the morning so that my brain is still fresh from accepting new information.

I'm not using SN2ed, or any other "study guide" for that matter. But I am using the Kaplan books, and I created my own studying guide -- I'm basically studying each subject thoroughly.

Kaplan's books have about 15-20 chapters per subject. Each chapter has about 20-30pgs each. I find that I'll spend about 5-6 hrs reading through one chapter, doing chapter quiz, and doing subject tests.

But I'll spend about 6-8+ hrs working on practice problems and going back to questions I got wrong in the quiz/tests.

I personally believe that your studying method totally depends on how you can handle the material. Some people can tackle a full work & school schedule while studying for the MCAT. I'm not one of those individuals lol, so I saved the MCAT studying for the summer (w/o taking summer classes or a job).

If you find the SN2ed schedule to be too much, try to see if there's another method that would fit you better (don't be afraid to mix studying methods).