how many hours per week do you work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imapretender

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, i'm looking to gain some valuable research on this field as I am thinking about pursuing a PhD in Clinical or School Psychology. I have some questions about the workload and I'd love input from people involved in the field. So, the questions are:

1. What is your current position(s)?
2. approximately how many hours per week do you work? if you have many positions (research, teaching etc.) how much time do you spend on each per week?
3. What is your salary (or stipend, fellowship etc.)?

I am interested in all areas, so information all the way from 1st year PhD students to 10+ years of post-internship experience would be very welcome.

thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Graduate Student, Clinical Psychology PhD (Research-focused)
2) It varies widely, but I'd say 40 on a light weak, 80-90 on a tough week. Average is probably ~60. This past semester it was ~25-30% clinical, 30% teaching, 40% research. That also varies enormously though.
3) ~20k/year

1) psychologist, licensed since 2004, VA, 100% clinical position (although I may get 20-30 percent of my time classified as research in the future, we'll see)
2) strictly 40 hours per week and no more for my VA job, and within a pretty flexible environment and nontraditional schedule besides, although maybe once a month I do a days worth of moonlighting (consulting assessment case usually)
3) 105K / year (however, I pay out about 500 bucks per month in student loans, hence the once per month moonlighting gig) - I also have two kids so I don't live like a king for sure. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Graduate student, Clinical Psych, 3rd year in a relatively balanced (leaning toward research focused) program
2. 50 hours per week on average. Maybe up to 70 in particularly busy periods, but that's rare.
3. Around 20k my first two years. I'll make around 45k this year and next, but that's because of a pretty sweet scholarship.

1. First year grad student (balanced program but I'm research oriented)
2. 40ish hours weekly (mostly because I have multiple projects going. Others spend a bit less than this).
3. Around 14k a year

Intern: VA Medical Center. 40 hrs/week. 25k

I generally come in at least 15 minutes late. I use the side door. That way Lumbergh can't see me. And, uh, and after that I sort of space out for about an hour. Yeah. I just stare at my desk. It looks like I'm working though. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too. I'd say in a givin week, I probably do about 15 minutes of real, actual work.

Last edited:

Neuropsych Fellow (almost done with second year) at an AMC

2. approximately how many hours per week do you work? if you have many positions (research, teaching etc.) how much time do you spend on each per week?

Average 55-60 for the fellowship (clinical). Add 15 for part-time teaching. Any research I do is extra.

Low 30's. The teaching bumps me to mid 40's.

Excited for the hours to go down and the salary to go up to something more manageable.

I generally come in at least 15 minutes late. I use the side door. That way Lumbergh can't see me. And, uh, and after that I sort of space out for about an hour. Yeah. I just stare at my desk. It looks like I'm working though. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too. I'd say in a givin week, I probably do about 15 minutes of real, actual work.

:laugh:

Excuse me. I believe you have my stapler...

Disclaimer: i'm from Holland

1. I've got a master's degree in clin. psych. and just started a 2y-postdoctoral trainig to become a healthcare psychologist. After this, I will have the possibility to specialize (4y) to either a "clinical psychologist" of "clinical neuropsychologist".

2. 4 days clinical practice (32h) + 1 day of education (8) + 1 day studying at home (6) = 46 hours

3. 33k in euros which is about 43k in dollars

I'm an intern in a consortium in Canada, working mostly at an AMC and a rehab hospital.

I work 40 hours per week pretty reliably for my internship. However, the past few months I've been working on my dissertation a lot on my evenings and weekends, as I have a tight deadline to finish before internship is over. As such, my hours worked is probably more like 60-70.

I make $30k.

at the risk of exposing my novice status in this field, would someone be so kind and tell me what VA stands for?

Members don't see this ad :)
United States Department of Veterans Affairs

:laugh:

Excuse me. I believe you have my stapler...

I actually did "set building on fire"my first week there. Well, burnt some stuff in microwave and caused a fire alarm to go off anyway...

Last edited:
1. Licensed Psychologist, Board Certified Behavior Analyst- Clinical Director/Sr. VP at Human Services Agency; Moonlight as an Adjunct Prof. one semester/year.
2. 40-50 hours at day job. Add another 5-10 when class is in session.
3. ~110k/year, plus benefits (80% health insurance, dental, 33 paid days off/year, CEU training paid for)

I'd be really interested to hear from some school psychs! :)

1. Current Position: Clinical Psychology Intern
2. Hours: 40-60 depending on workload
3. Salary & Benefits: $105,000 (Military Salary and Allowances), 100% Medical Coverage, 30 days paid leave plus federal holidays, CE Paid.

1. Current Position: Clinical Psychology Intern
2. Hours: 40-60 depending on workload
3. Salary & Benefits: $105,000 (Military Salary and Allowances), 100% Medical Coverage, 30 days paid leave plus federal holidays, CE Paid.

Wow, that's more than I thought folks got in military programs when you are still in training. :eek:

Here I thought I made a lot when I was on internship getting closer to 30K :rolleyes:

Wow, that's more than I thought folks got in military programs when you are still in training. :eek:

Here I thought I made a lot when I was on internship getting closer to 30K :rolleyes:

I currently have 14 years total time in service (I was enlisted in the USAF in a previous life). That affects pay significantly.

Someone brand new to the military on internship with no prior service would make about $65,000.

I currently have 14 years total time in service (I was enlisted in the USAF in a previous life). That affects pay significantly.

Someone brand new to the military on internship with no prior service would make about $65,000.

Is that officer pay? Because I thought you had to be licensed. Just curious.

Is that officer pay? Because I thought you had to be licensed. Just curious.

Officer pay. Licensure nets another $5,000/yr and there is $6,000/yr for ABPP certification. Finally if you commit to a multi-year commitment there is up to another $20,000 per year.

It starts adding up to real money eventually. For a junior officer at the 4 year point, 2 years post licensure with ABPP and a 4 year commitment would be making over $110k in Portsmouth, VA (and about $6,000/year more in DC or San Diego). Not shabby for an early career psychologist.

i wish i could *like* this post! i just laughed really hard as i read it.