How many hours/week does everyone study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drewsuf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many hours per week everyone spends studying for the MCAT on average??

Plus, do you think it's better to study one subject at a time or switch between subjects?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering how many hours per week everyone spends studying for the MCAT on average??

Plus, do you think it's better to study one subject at a time or switch between subjects?

If you need a clear and helpful approach, I would go to mcatpearls.com ( the grassroots version is free).

Switch between subjects!!!

I study about... 20 some old hours a week.

I used to study 8 hours a day/7 days a week over christmas break. Now I just do practice problems everyday.

ditto, but in that 20 hrs. I squeeze in regular classes study/work

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked the same question when I was starting the MCAT process (i just took it 1/27)

Many people told me that if you put in an efficient ~300total hours, you'll be fine. So I made it a goal to study ~350-400 hours.

I decided to spread the hours by studying more weeks before the test, instead of piling them on in 10 weeks or so.

So I did something like 20-odd weeks, 15-20 hrs a week.

By the last week, I felt very comfortable with what I knew and how much I studied - a great feeling!

So I should thank those ppl who gave me the good advice on this website.

Let's see... I have about 2 hours a day, 4 days a week, and one day when I pull about 5 hours. so between 10-15 hours a week. Plus, I'm taking O Chem, Physiology, and Genetics currently, so I get some extra practice when studying for those classes.

in first year...probably around 10
2nd year probably around 15
now...probably around 3 (or less)

i started studying for the mcat the day after my third birthday... had my dad read me the kaplan stuff. it was too detail-oriented so we switched to barron's and he put the equations on a mobile above my crib... i love my dad.