How many hours???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curt1418

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if there is a recommended number of hours for shadowing and volunteer work? What is minimum and maximum for each????

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I was wondering if there is a recommended number of hours for shadowing and volunteer work? What is minimum and maximum for each????

Minimum: 75.23
Maximum: 50204.7

Enough for you to learn what life in medicine is really like.

i agree with Robizzle...there really is not set recommended number. Just do as much as it takes for you to get something out of it. You want to make sure you know what medicine is like (as much as you can at this stage) before you apply. As for volunteer work, showing some commitment is good. You don't want to just volunteer for a couple hours and then try to convince your interviewers that you really learned something.

Just do the stuff until you feel like it's been meaningful. Then convince adcoms that it was meaningful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the others said, there really is not set amount, but I know that shadowing a resident while they are on-call a couple of times can shoot your stats up quick,lol.

I like that, a maximum number of hours for volunteering. Eh, once you've reached 1,000, you're done with your commitment to others. :laugh:

But really, do enough so that you feel like you've made a difference (for volunteering). I don't think it matters what you do so much as you make a commitment and follow through with it.

Minimum: 75.23
Maximum: 50204.7

Enough for you to learn what life in medicine is really like.

decimals? gimme a break. the p wants a realistic answer, which is

minimum: pi
maximum: 9999

Keep it to irrational numbers,

Min: Pi
Max: 9999 e

I like to say that i have 0 hours of hospital volunteering or "shadowing".

Theres other more creative/memorable ways to get this patient care/physician observation experience. Think outside of the box

Everyday when I step into the hospital, I say...

Ready...

Set...

stopwatch-rev3.jpg

GO!!!

4 hours a week is probably standard for volunteering. Ask the program where you volunteer.

When the physician you're shadowing looks at you with a puzzled look and says "Oh, you're here again!!! or says "don't you have something else to do, like go to class!!!!" That's when you know you've done enough shadowing...

I shadowed a pediatrician once for 4 hours. This was his life: Measure the baby, weigh the baby, listen to the baby, talk to mom. Next. Measure the baby, weigh the baby, listen to the baby, talk to mom. Next. Measure the baby, weigh the baby, listen to the baby, talk to mom. Next. At the end, he asked me if I had any questions, and I didn't. I felt like I could do his job with no training.

Ironically, I'm still interested in peds, although I know a pediatrician who doesn't do any weighing, measuring, or giving shots. His assistant does all that.

I shadowed a pediatrician once for 4 hours. This was his life: Measure the baby, weigh the baby, listen to the baby, talk to mom. Next. Measure the baby, weigh the baby, listen to the baby, talk to mom. Next. Measure the baby, weigh the baby, listen to the baby, talk to mom. Next. At the end, he asked me if I had any questions, and I didn't. I felt like I could do his job with no training.

Ironically, I'm still interested in peds, although I know a pediatrician who doesn't do any weighing, measuring, or giving shots. His assistant does all that.

Was this a general pediatrician or a neonatologist???

I actually shadowed in peds some years back as part of a highschool summer program. That was almost 10 years ago and it was a really great experience. The doctor was really cool too and one of the people who's words I remember cuz he's one of two people that encouraged going to med school instead of nursing. He even let us round with him in the hospital where he had a few patients. I'm actually going to be doing some shadowing with the clinic I volunteer at here too and that is a peds clinic as well.

But my previous experience was that it was just like the peds version of FP in which gen. peds consisted of a lot of your typical ailments like ear infections, people needing flu shots or who have gotten the flu, people who have been diagnosed with those very general practice kind of cases for kids for the most part.