How many hrs of clinical experience will you have by app time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ER scribe, 1700 hours, 3500 pts seen.

Members don't see this ad.

Asleep patient contact is the best kind of patient contact! :rolleyes: I don't mean this in a mean way, but that experience will not really put you ahead in medical school since by the time you need any of those skills in 3rd year, you'll have had two years of sitting on your ass in class forgetting it all. It's great to be in the OR and hang with gas/surgeons, but there's a lot more of medicine out there and as an admissions person, I would put no more weight on that experience than handing out free condoms.

You emphasize the most common misconception about anethesia and the care provided. I also pre and post op all the patients with the physicians. I have more patient contact with them when they are awake then at any other time. The CRNA's are the ones who give the "care" while they are asleep. I help with all the before, induction, and after care. I don't know if you have done your anesthesia rotation, but my position yields the most one-on-one patient care that I could recieve without holding some other type of credentials/degree. I believe that I could not get this type of experience as an ER tech. Also, volunteers are not even allowed to touch the patient in most institutions. But thank you for your comment, It allows me to explain why that misconception is so wrong. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. And what did these zero hours get me? 4 Interviews and 2 acceptances so far.

Don't worry about the numbers.

Oh, what do you mean by 0 hours? Literally.... none?

I'm sure you had an amazing rest-of-the-application though...

Last edited:
My advice would be to find a smaller hospital somewhere and see if you can get a job as an aide (I think you city folk call them 'Techs'.)

I worked at my local hospital for somewhere along the lines of 500 hours. I was especially blessed because it is in a smaller city (around 10,000 people) so I got a taste of everything there is to do in a hospital from helping out with Physical Therapy and such to Hospice care and Newborns. Also, the ED was about 20 feet away, so I got plenty of exposure to that sort of thing as well. Its great for gaining clinical experience, plus gives you lots of insight for the 'Why not Nursing or Physical Therapy?' question in your interview.

Abt 3000 hours in a surgical clinic, in a school, in a private home, and in a speech clinic.

oh about 15-20 total hours shadowing a doctor...contrary to what most neurotic pre-meds think, the # of hours is not important. honestly, just do enough to make sure this is what you want to do, because if you aren't 100% sure this is what you want to do, you won't make it (i make that comment based on the classmates we've lost)