How many IIs before I can stop freaking out about acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATPsynthase123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
About how many is a good number to where my chances are good for acceptance? I'm sitting at 3 right now, all DO and my State schools have not started interviewing the bulk of candidates yet or sending out the many IIs at all for that matter.

I know most people are lucky to get 1-2 IIs all year, so is it a good sign to have 3 this early?

Is there any truth to the 3 II rule, or is that just a product of neurotic premed reasoning?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
About how many is a good number to where my chances are good for acceptance? I'm sitting at 3 right now, all DO and my State schools have not started interviewing the bulk of candidates yet or sending out the many IIs at all for that matter.

I know most people are lucky to get 1-2 IIs all year, so is it a good sign to have 3 this early?

Is there any truth to the 3 II rule, or is that just a product of neurotic premed reasoning?

I think it is a good sign that your app is good overall. :) you will do great in your interview and get accepted. I think the 3 II rule is just for us neurotic premed to calm ourselves.

I'm with you. It doesn't matter how many I have I still feel as if I will be rejected everywhere. :eek::blackeye:

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For me, I know I won't stop freaking out about acceptance until I manage to get one.

Reactions: 10 users
Reactions: 2 users

I had 3 interviews before my first acceptance. It was this cycle too. You'll be fine m8, especially because it's so early.

You're good man. If it offers any consolation, my stats are complete poo, and I got an acceptance with 3.

Did you attend the other interviews before you were accepted to ACOM? Also the way you phrased the bolded made me laugh freaking hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you attend the other interviews before you were accepted to ACOM? Also the way you phrased the bolded made me laugh freaking hard.
LOL glad i could make your day a bit better.

No, ACOM was my first interview, and I was accepted before either of the two. I withdrew interviews from BCOM and LUCOM after my acceptance.

I'd really like to go DO but I'm only 1/10 for DO interviews. Is it still early for the DO cycle or did I get screened out?

LOL glad i could make your day a bit better.

No, ACOM was my first interview, and I was accepted before either of the two. I withdrew interviews from BCOM and LUCOM after my acceptance.

So are you done interviewing then? I am confused how people navigate the waters after getting an acceptance with pending interviews. For example, if you get an acceptance at a desireable but not first choice school, do you not go to interviews at lessdesired schools than your acceptance yet still put a deposit down knowing you may be heading somewhere else if the opportunity arrises? I feel like that's money well-wasted but what else do you do?

Sorry that was long winded.

Last edited:
I'd really like to go DO but I'm only 1/10 for DO interviews. Is it still early for the DO cycle or did I get screened out?

Its september m8.

Members don't see this ad :)
what schools did you get an interview from? If you don't mind me asking.

So are you done interviewing then? I am confused how people navigate the waters after getting an acceptance with pending interviews. For example, if you get an acceptance at a desireable but not first choice school, do you not go to interviews at lessdesired schools than your acceptance yet still put a deposit down knowing you may be heading somewhere else if the opportunity arrises?

Sorry that was long winded.

I'm curious about similar things, not that I have an acceptance or anything yet but I'd love to hear what other's interview schedule finessing is like. Since different schools have different deposit timelines and people rank schools to their personal fit.

Similar to what you said, like I've heard people can fall in love with a school/learn a lot more about if they like it or not during the interview. So should someone with an acceptance attend all interviews just incase another school fits them better? (Obviously prior to interview you can take important things into account like rotations, board prep time, location, tuition. But if they're relatively similar in those aspects).

Edit: apologies if that's hard to interpret what I'm asking, quite the word scramble

sdn neuroticism makes me believe that September is late. I got a Marian interview.

SDN does nothing for nerves. Marian has been crickets for me so congrats!

None, because getting accepted is 100% on you.

If it makes you feel better, the "interviews three, a doctor you'll be" rule seems to apply in LizzyM's informal poll.

Reactions: 5 users

I have been blessed enough to receive quite a few early on and I am still freaking out about being rejected at all of them. Nothings guaranteed out here man.

What Goro said.

Not to be an a*****e about it, but no number of interviews implies an acceptance. An ACCEPTANCE implies an acceptance.

I had 6 interviews last cycle with only one acceptance.

A friend of mine from grad school had 4 interviews with no acceptance, and another guy I knew in high school had SEVEN with no acceptance.

None of us were bad interviewers.

Med school admissions are super finicky. It's not over until it's over.

What Goro said.

Not to be an dingus about it, but no number of interviews implies an acceptance. An ACCEPTANCE implies an acceptance.

I had 6 interviews last cycle with only one acceptance.

A friend of mine from grad school had 4 interviews with no acceptance, and another guy I knew in high school had SEVEN with no acceptance.

None of us were bad interviewers.

Med school admissions are super finicky. It's not over until it's over.

Well...... This is good for the nerves........

Reactions: 11 users

If it makes you feel better, the "interviews three, a doctor you'll be" rule seems to apply in LizzyM's informal poll.

True for me so far. 3 interviews 1 acceptance.
And lol @zerox117 You'll be fine!!! Worrying doesn't help much!!

sdn neuroticism makes me believe that September is late. I got a Marian interview.

I swear I'm not trying to troll here, and I wish I could give more re-assuring input...

I've interviewed at 7 DO schools (1 first cycle, 6 next cycle). Marian, for me, made them all look like child's play. To say it was an intense interview is an understatement. Marian's interview was vicious and brutal. It WILL test your ability to think on your feet and keep a cool head under pressure.

I swear I'm not trying to troll here, and I wish I could give more re-assuring input...

I've interviewed at 7 DO schools (1 first cycle, 6 next cycle). Marian, for me, made them all look like child's play. To say it was an intense interview is an understatement. Marian's interview was vicious and brutal. It WILL test your ability to think on your feet and keep a cool head under pressure.
:eek: Now I am intrigued.

I guess Rejection at MUCOM early on is a sign...

A classmate of mine from undergrad had I think 11 II's and was accepted at each school he applied to. N=1.

I do feel like if you have Interviews the ball is in your court at that point and if you blow the interview or don't fit then see ya.

OMG I have four II's... I blew it didn't I!??! Should I cancel all the others??? ;)

Obviously we'd like some elaboration... You tossed some meat out...

Unless you're playing some sick SDN game where you're scaring us to not attend the interview thus giving you a higher but most likely negligible chance of acceptance...

I'm not crazy I swear.

Loll I was thinking if there's a mathematical way of calculating it. If each school accepts, say 50%, of the people they interview (and that's a safe estimate), then you have an 87.5% chance of getting into at least one (for 3 interviews; math is .5 * .5 * .5) From a purely mathematical perspective, assuming each interviewee has an equal chance of acceptance just based on receiving interviews alone compared to accepted students, is this accurate??

Sdn neuroticism... Check.

Edit: this is assuming an equal and random chance of each applicant being accepted, which is obviously not true because acceptance isn't a lottery. But it's just for fun.

Last edited:

Interesting, mind elaborating? Within what you're allowed to say about the interview of course

I had 5 ii last year and no acceptances It happens!

Interesting, mind elaborating? Within what you're allowed to say about the interview of course

I'm kind of struggling to tell you guys about the interview without violating the NDA (I think it was an NDA, anyway). I've spoken to a few people about it through PM (im getting a lot of PMs about it, lol). But really, in a nutshell, they'll try to break your concentration, trick you into saying something stupid, grill you on many unrelated subjects at once, and start quizzing you hard on subjects you have no business knowing anything about, and there's no easy "I'll look it up later" option.

No one comes out of their interview looking good. The trick is to be the least crappy interviewee.

Last edited:
True for me so far. 3 interviews 1 acceptance.
And lol @zerox117 You'll be fine!!! Worrying doesn't help much!!

I'll know at the end of the month when the LMU-DCOM committee emails me their decision lol. It's still very early, so I'm not panicking just yet, but an acceptance this early would do wonders for the interview season anxiety

1 Interview in and 1 acceptance so far! I think it's really important to go into interviews confidently and make sure you can articulate your thoughts in a clear and concise way. Some people are catastrophically bad at this (people who get 5+ interviews and no acceptances typically).

1 Interview in and 1 acceptance so far! I think it's really important to go into interviews confidently and make sure you can articulate your thoughts in a clear and concise way. Some people are catastrophically bad at this (people who get 5+ interviews and no acceptances typically).

Same here. Once you get an interview the ball is in your court. Just be a human being.

For those worrying about Marian's interview, I interviewed there recently and it was neither "vicious" nor "brutal".

Reactions: 6 users
I was wondering the same exact thing. 4 IIs so far. Went on 2 interviews, with me being rejected from one of those schools. Waiting to hear back from the other and also prepping for the next 2 interviews.

What makes me nervous and anxious are my stats. Good MCAT, but really low GPA. I know that an II means they're interested in you and they think you have the potential to succeed, but I'm always worried I'm just not competitive enough, ultimately. Anyone else in the same boat?

I was wondering the same exact thing. 4 IIs so far. Went on 2 interviews, with me being rejected from one of those schools. Waiting to hear back from the other and also prepping for the next 2 interviews.

What makes me nervous and anxious are my stats. Good MCAT, but really low GPA. I know that an II means they're interested in you and they think you have the potential to succeed, but I'm always worried I'm just not competitive enough, ultimately. Anyone else in the same boat?
Be confident in yourself. That's my piece of advice. I am worried abt my stats too and many things...but once you step in that room, have confident that you will make it

Would you mind sharing where your IIs were and your approx. stats? (Feel free to PM as well)

I received 4 interviews, attended 2, and was admitted to both. It's nice to have my cycle over before October, that's for sure. I will say, I did A LOT of interview prep and I think it was worth it, even if it was overkill.

Reactions: 5 users
I received 4 interviews, attended 2, and was admitted to both. It's nice to have my cycle over before October, that's for sure. I will say, I did A LOT of interview prep and I think it was worth it, even if it was overkill.

The thing that sucks is that I won't know anything from LMU until the end of the month. I did really well, but I won't find out for sure how I did until then.

Still though, I feel extremely lucky to have 5 medical school interviews when most people only get 1-2 or none at all

Got 6 interviews, attended 3. Cancelled 3. So far accepted to one. Don't know about others 2 until end of September.
Same as @femmegoblue , I did tons of interview practice too!!! Even go to my pre-health organization to practice. Before the interview day, also did tons of practice in front of mirror.

The thing that sucks is that I won't know anything from LMU until the end of the month. I did really well, but I won't find out for sure how I did until then.

Still though, I feel extremely lucky to have 5 medical school interviews when most people only get 1-2 or none at all

I was fortunate to receive IIs from LUCOM, DMU-COM and MSUCOM but have not heard anything from LMU, MWU-CCOM, OU-HCOM, LECOM or MUCOM. Every secondary was submitted within 1 week of eachother. I am wondering if those schools simply had a greater number of applications, better stats on those apps or if I was screened to a "2nd pile." MSUCOM is not too suprising having been a graduate and MI resident. Any thoughts?