How many images on the test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the people who have taken Step 1 already, how many images was on your test?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say every block had about 3-4 images in it. In the vast majority of image-based questions, though, the images are not really necessary to answer the question.

I would say every block had about 3-4 images in it. In the vast majority of image-based questions, though, the images are not really necessary to answer the question.

yes this sounds about right. it was way fewer than i expected. I would suggest using RR and FA for images. Don't bother with anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree with other poster. images in step 1 are like a nice little bonus hint. You can almost always just answer the question without it.

As others said: not a lot, questions usually answerable without them.

That said the images can definitely sometimes be a "give away" where if you know the image you get a really quick correct answer and can move on. (a lot like the high yield association questions; translocations and the like) Two examples I can think of from my test were Auer rods and the Kayser-fleischer ring. Didn't even need to read the question.

You might wanna spend half a day or so going over CT's, MRI's, and X-rays. You could easily end up with one question per block on these. They're much harder to answer without knowing exactly what you're looking at.