How many international students accepted to Irish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuckman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It seems that Irish schools are really hard to get into. I'm curious, how many international students are accepted to UCC, UCD, RCSI, and Trinity? Also, do you guys know how many are interviewed? Thanks a lot.

Zuck

Members don't see this ad.

According to the ABP website up to 130 US and Canadian students are admitted each year. I have no idea what the breakdown is per school.

Hmm...130...that doesn't seem like a lot really....it seems like it's pretty hard to get an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it has become quite hard in recent years. Before i applied i had heard that you were almost guaranteed to get accepted and that your stats (gpa, MCAT) didn't even matter, but now realize that it is, in fact, very difficult to get in.

For TCD, the acceptance letter said approx 20 North American students are accepted. Not sure about the breakdown of the others though.

UCC tends to vary from year to year. IN my year there were 16 Canadians and 3 Americans to start with, but the year ahead of us only had 5 Canadians and I think about 5 Americans too. The year behind us was 8 Canadians, and 5 Americans, the next year it was 18 Canadians and 2-3 Americans. For some reason UCC tends to accept more Canadians than Americans.
I was told by the admissions officer that the acceptance rate for UCC is about 1:15 applications. It is not easy, but getting into med school is largely a matter of finding the school that is looking for what you have (at least in Canada it is). It really is a crap shoot, so trying here makes as much sense as trying to get in anywhere. The Irish schools have high standards, but as long as you meet the minimum requirements, the actual decisions about who gets in seem to be made on the same arbitrary lines as for North American med schools (again, citing the conversation in which I was told I got into med school because I "looked interesting on paper").Cheers,
M

Hmm...130...that doesn't seem like a lot really....it seems like it's pretty hard to get an acceptance.

Until recently there was only ever about 350 Irish students accepted to do medicine each year. Hard to get into eh!!! The Irish exam system allocates 100 points for each of six subjects, the lowest entry points that would allow you to study medicine last year was 575 out of 600 points. If you equate this to SAT scores just for a really roughshot comparison you'd need 1340 out of 1400. SO yeah its hard for the Atlantic Bridge applicants to get in but extremely difficult for the Irish to get in. And yes I know you guys have to pay and we don't but we'll end up paying taxes here for the rest of our lives (mostly) and the atlantic bridge applicants won't (mostly).

Until recently there was only ever about 350 Irish students accepted to do medicine each year. Hard to get into eh!!! The Irish exam system allocates 100 points for each of six subjects, the lowest entry points that would allow you to study medicine last year was 575 out of 600 points. If you equate this to SAT scores just for a really roughshot comparison you'd need 1340 out of 1400. SO yeah its hard for the Atlantic Bridge applicants to get in but extremely difficult for the Irish to get in. And yes I know you guys have to pay and we don't but we'll end up paying taxes here for the rest of our lives (mostly) and the atlantic bridge applicants won't (mostly).
That actually doesn't sound that bad, canada sucks for providing enough places. As an example up untill recently british columbia only had 120 students for a population of 4.3 million with enrollment now at about 250. Population in ireland is about 4.1 million and 350 med students isn't bad by comparison.

Yeah, Canada has the lowest number of acceptances per applicant to medical school of any country. The acceptance rate is almost 50% of the states and other places. I'd post the link to where I read that but I think it was either in the CMJ or another journal.