How Many Interviews Do You Need...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAGuyana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in order to feel confident that you will be accepted by a school? Just an opinion question.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on at which schools you're interviewing. Statistically, many schools accept half the people they interview. But don't feel like you'll squeek in because your "chances" are good. I didn't feel confident about an acceptance until I actually got the phone call. Theoretically, you could get an interview at every U.S. school and still get no acceptance; there's a lot of anecdotal evidence around here about people who got 10 interviews and 10 waitlists, eventually no acceptances.

Many interviews =/= acceptance

However, in my mind, I was feeling pretty good once I had 5 interviews at schools where I felt like I was a strong competitor.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your personality (how paranoid, anxious, confident, arrogant, level-headed, insecure, etc you are), your qualifications, where you applied, how you interview...

There is no universal answer.

(Number of Interviews/Number of schools applied) * (100 - ( luck + chance) + 0.50 interview skills)) = chances of acceptance

I'd say about 6 or 7 interviews at some places that you feel confident about getting into--that'd be a good situation. :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Over 9000. Lol

But seriously, you need as many as get offered to you until you get an acceptance.