How many interviews = feel safe that you'll match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marianne11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone knows about how many interviews usually equals a match in IM? My delimma is do I do the DO match or wait for the MD match. I was thinking if I get 5-7 interviews out of my 15 applications to MD programs, I should be okay. Any opinions on this? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious if anyone knows about how many interviews usually equals a match in IM? My delimma is do I do the DO match or wait for the MD match. I was thinking if I get 5-7 interviews out of my 15 applications to MD programs, I should be okay. Any opinions on this? Thanks! :)

Last year, a lot of people went all the way to number 8 or 9 on their list. There is no "safe" number.

Last year, a lot of people went all the way to number 8 or 9 on their list. There is no "safe" number.

For IM? That would be the exception not the rule generally. But it does happen.

To the OP: Now, if you look at the "Charting Outcomes in the Match" from the NRMP from the last year, 2009, where we have published data, you will see on page 96 that for IM, for an AMG 4th year student the probably of matching approaches 100% for 9 ranked programs. This is UP from the 2008 data which showed the same probability for 8 ranked programs. So if you can rank 10, by the statistics, you basically have assured yourself a spot somewhere. (People that didn't match, only had an average of 4.7 places ranked)

Another neat piece of information 93% of AMG seniors match, and 53% of them get their first choice of program, and that data can be found here

Members don't see this ad :)

That's probably because the first 7 were MGH, B&W, Hopkins, UCSF, Duke, Columbia, and UPenn...

.... for an AMG 4th year student the probably of matching approaches 100% for 9 ranked programs.

But, the OP is an independent applicant thinking of maybe interviewing at 5 to 7 places. That would be somewhere between a 45 and 65% probabilityf you ranked them all. Independent applicants don't hit a 90% probability until about 13 ranked programs.

But, the OP is an independent applicant thinking of maybe interviewing at 5 to 7 places. That would be somewhere between a 45 and 65% probabilityf you ranked them all. Independent applicants don't hit a 90% probability until about 13 ranked programs.

That is a better point.

A DO student is not an AMG, but an independent applicant?

A DO student is not an AMG, but an independent applicant?

Yes. If you go to the publication from the NRMP that I linked it will tell you how they define DOs per their criteria. You can also see the raw numbers from 2010 match from the other link, where it breaks down the difference in non-4th year allopathic students. It is very difficult to predict how a DO will do in the allopathic match, there are many variables involved.

The 13 ranked programs would be for an average independent applicant, right? It lumps together US citizen IMG, FMG/noncitizem, and DO. I would think, though have no stats to back it up, that a DO with a decent/average USMLE score and pretty good grades and comments on the dean's letter, etc. would do better than the "average" independent applicant in the IM Match. If I were a DO graduating and doing the allo IM match, though, there's no way I would apply to only 15 programs. I think I'd apply to 30-40 and then I'd do at least 15 interviews if I could get them. You don't want to risk not matching because that's not a position you want to be in (scrambling).

The 13 ranked programs would be for an average independent applicant, right? It lumps together US citizen IMG, FMG/noncitizem, and DO. I would think, though have no stats to back it up, that a DO with a decent/average USMLE score and pretty good grades and comments on the dean's letter, etc. would do better than the "average" independent applicant in the IM Match. If I were a DO graduating and doing the allo IM match, though, there's no way I would apply to only 15 programs. I think I'd apply to 30-40 and then I'd do at least 15 interviews if I could get them. You don't want to risk not matching because that's not a position you want to be in (scrambling).

Thanks for the info. I just added 17 schools, so I've applied to 32 now. :)