How many interviews to expect before MSPE is sent out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentxx8800

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friends, I have a quick question. How many interviews should we expect to get before MSPE being sent out? I'm a USMD with average stats and no major red flag but only got five invites so far and a lot of programs that I applied to have already sent out their invites but I didn't make the cut. I'm grateful for the interview that I did get but kinda bummed with the ones that I didn't. Is this an indication that I'm not a competitive applicant and not likely to get many interviews during the season?

Members don't see this ad.

Did programs send you rejections? How do you know that you didnt make the cut, I have heard most programs tend to sent interview invites in waves?

Did programs send you rejections? How do you know that you didnt make the cut, I have heard most programs tend to sent interview invites in waves?
No rejection yet but seeing that many others getting interview dates at these program well into January I’m not sure how there would still be spot left for folks like me who haven’t got invites

Members don't see this ad :)
No indication at all. Invites come in waves. I got a couple interview invites as late as late October/early November. Stop freaking out, it's been 1 week.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, everyone! It is hard for me to not be neurotic and anxious about this process since so much is riding on it but will work on not freaking out over this as much in the weeks to come

5 seems good! I've only gotten 1 interview:(

Friends, I have a quick question. How many interviews should we expect to get before MSPE being sent out? I'm a USMD with average stats and no major red flag but only got five invites so far and a lot of programs that I applied to have already sent out their invites but I didn't make the cut. I'm grateful for the interview that I did get but kinda bummed with the ones that I didn't. Is this an indication that I'm not a competitive applicant and not likely to get many interviews during the season?

29%. The 2018 PD survey shows the percentage of invites sent out before Oct 1st, in Oct, in Nov, etc. For FM, 29% of invites are sent out prior to Oct 1st (usually when MSPE comes out, unless things have changed).

Also worth noting that people drop residency interviews wayyyy more frequently than they do med school interviews. People are accepting most/all invites they get right now. As the season goes on, people's schedules will fill but they will continue to get invites. They'll drop interviews at less preferred programs to accommodate programs they like better where they were offered interviews later. Then those spots will be open to other applicants. Just because a program is scheduling interviews into January already doesn't mean that no more interviews will be available.

5 interviews is a great spot to be in 1 week in. Short of having a major red flag like a board failure or professionalism issue on your application, you're already about halfway to where you need to be to be virtually guaranteed a match. Relax, you're doing fine!

Exactly. Im at 10 (im shocked tbh) and ive only heard back from two local programs. If those come in, i’ll drop the ones further away. Obviously scheduling everything I get right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Hang in there! The wait throughout all of our pre-med, med school, and now applications for residency definitely is soooo stressful ugh!

Sad but funny story: I'm scheduled to do an away rotation at a place that's offered 2 waves of interviews but i didn't get one. So it's gonna be really awkward during the away LOL. Obviously I know doing an away doesn't guarantee and interview but still bummed.

I'm sure there are more people like us waiting for more interviews so we just have to have hope!

I only have 5 right now, applied to 30 mainly in NY, FL, TX and some sprinkled random ones. I am bummed because I have not heard from my top ones yet, and hopefully we all hear something soon, this process is so nerveracking.

Thanks friends. I have gotten 3 more in the past couple of days and now up to 8. The best thing is they all from programs that I actually want to check out. Hope everyone will hear back from their top choices soon. Best of luck

Hang in there! The wait throughout all of our pre-med, med school, and now applications for residency definitely is soooo stressful ugh!

Sad but funny story: I'm scheduled to do an away rotation at a place that's offered 2 waves of interviews but i didn't get one. So it's gonna be really awkward during the away LOL. Obviously I know doing an away doesn't guarantee and interview but still bummed.

I'm sure there are more people like us waiting for more interviews so we just have to have hope!

Same here as far as the away rotation and no invite yet. My away is scheduled in January though and I haven’t arranged flight or housing yet. I almost wonder if I should cancel it if I don’t receive an interview invitation eventually. Any thoughts?

Same here as far as the away rotation and no invite yet. My away is scheduled in January though and I haven’t arranged flight or housing yet. I almost wonder if I should cancel it if I don’t receive an interview invitation eventually. Any thoughts?

I'd let them know. Some programs have an internal soft policy about inviting all their sub-i's (we do). But it's often not the same coordinator, so sometimes we miss someone. It doesn't hurt to email the coordinator, let them know about your upcoming rotation and what, specifically you hope to learn about their program, and that, should they plan to offer you an interview, you'll be at their program x dates.

Reactions: 2 users

Mines in December so I figure I'd wait until mid October before reaching out. Luckily I'm local so I don't have to plan housing or transport, but it sounds like you have to plan a lot so better to contact them early I guess (though your guess is as good as mine). It's such a hard balance to strike between being desperate and nagging vs showing interest and just being prepared good luck!

I'd reach out starting in early October if you have an away rotation. You don't want to wait until all their invites are sent out. Mid October was when all our interviews were out.

I'd reach out starting in early October if you have an away rotation. You don't want to wait until all their invites are sent out. Mid October was when all our interviews were out.

What's the best way to not be awkward about the wording in the email? Should we just be direct and say something to the extent of "I will be rotating through your program from X to Y and would love for the opportunity to interview with the program during my time there."?