How many interviews will you attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many interviews will you attend?

• Atleast 5

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Atleast 10

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Atleast 20

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I'll attend as many interviews as I get

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • Till I get my first acceptance

Votes: 18 24.3%

• Total voters

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many interviews is enough before you start declining (or withdrawing from the remaining schools)?

Members don't see this ad.

i'd wait for an acceptance first... -- o this was a poll

this poll is strange and its results won't tell me much. the number of schools to which people are applying are wide-ranging. if someone's going to at least 5 interviews, this means something different if they applied to 5 rather than 30 schools. i'd rather know what strategy other folks are using.

if i get into an on-target school that i'm pretty sure i will think is better than my safeties, i will decline interviews at the safeties unless i think there is a shot at scholarship $. if i get into a reach school that i'm pretty sure i will think is better than my on-target schools, i will decline interviews at the on-target schools unless i think there is a shot at scholarship $.

so the "number" of places i will go to interviews will depend on how the acceptances come in. qualitatively, it will be something in between your two extreme, options of all or one. so i can't take your poll.

Members don't see this ad :)
this poll is strange and its results won't tell me much. the number of schools to which people are applying are wide-ranging. if someone's going to at least 5 interviews, this means something different if they applied to 5 rather than 30 schools. i'd rather know what strategy other folks are using.

if i get into an on-target school that i'm pretty sure i will think is better than my safeties, i will decline interviews at the safeties unless i think there is a shot at scholarship $. if i get into a reach school that i'm pretty sure i will think is better than my on-target schools, i will decline interviews at the on-target schools unless i think there is a shot at scholarship $.

so the "number" of places i will go to interviews will depend on how the acceptances come in. qualitatively, it will be something in between your two extreme, options of all or one. so i can't take your poll.

I thought about this before the poll. If I get into my dream school do I stop going to the other interviews? What if the next school I interview happens to blow away all the other schools I've interviewed so far even the one I thought I had my heart set on. What if the next school on the list were to throw some scholarship $$$ in the mix. What now? Sounds like a situation of "interview as many as I get"

Which is what you'd expect most SDNers to pick based on the above logic. However, it'd interesting to see which option wins.

I thought about this before the poll. If I get into my dream school do I stop going to the other interviews? What if the next school I interview happens to blow away all the other schools I've interviewed so far even the one I thought I had my heart set on. What if the next school on the list were to throw some scholarship $$$ in the mix. What now? Sounds like a situation of "interview as many as I get"

Which is what you'd expect most SDNers to pick based on the above logic. However, it'd interesting to see which option wins.

this is true, but other factors are time and money. both are not in great supply with me. so my decision on this isn't just strategy but practical constraints.

one can get an idea of how well the scholarship $ flows at schools from sdn and school websites. my first, and so far only, interview is at pitt. if things work out and i get accepted there, i will turn down an interview at rush (if offered) because i've heard scholarship money is hard to come by there, cost-of-living is lower in pittsburgh, and pitt is more focused on academic medicine. if i were applying to gwu, i would do the same for them in this scenario for the same reason. i would take my chances as to whether rush or gwu would have been my dream school (which i doubt is true for me), and save some time and money in the process.

Acceptance first, ask questions later

UMich Interviewer: What's your first choice?
Me: UMich!

Meharry Interviewer: What's your first choice?
Me: Meharry!
Interviewer: So if we accept you, you will come?
Me: Well.....

and so on....

Acceptance first, ask questions later

UMich Interviewer: What's your first choice?
Me: UMich!

Meharry Interviewer: What's your first choice?
Me: Meharry!
Interviewer: So if we accept you, you will come?
Me: Well.....

and so on....

HAH
Thats what i plan on doing as well.
I learned the hard way back in high school that you should always tell a coach you are 100% going to their school, even if you would rather go to hell :laugh:

HAH
Thats what i plan on doing as well.
I learned the hard way back in high school that you should always tell a coach you are 100% going to their school, even if you would rather go to hell :laugh:

As long as it's not in writing, I will definitely say I'm 100% sure about a school.