How many introverts out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I will be taking the MCAT this April and plan to apply to med school in June. My grades are solid and I've already taken a practice exam and I did well. I also have volunteer work and so forth. My only concern is that I am by nature and for as long as I can remember a quiet person.

I'm just wondering if adcoms have a preference for extroverts who can talk thier heads off in the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent Question!

Hats off to you , being wanting to ask this question for a while...

BTW hands up on the who is an introvert question?
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by doctorperez (edited 01-09-2001).]

I can't speak for the introverts, as I am about as extroverted as they come. But I will say that we have both kinds of people in my med school class. I would say 75-80% are pretty extroverted.

I have to say, that having worked as a nurses aid in a hospital for quite a while, I would say that communication skills are extremely important for physicians. And I was honestly a bit concerned about how some of my classmates would fare when confronted with actually interviewing patients. One girl in particular seemed painfully shy, but in my patient interviewing small group sessions, I watched her interview real patients and actors, and she did fine. I was pleasantly surprised.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as you are able to communicate WELL with people, you'll be fine. Remember that doctor litterally means teacher, and the most important part of your job will be helping your patients and their families to understand their situation. That doesn't mean you need to be an extreem extrovert, but it means you should be comfortable speaking to people, patients, groups of family member, and groups of other students and physicians (ie at rounds).

Good Luck, and (in case you haven't heard it enough) just be yourself at your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really doubt that adcoms specifically prefer extroverts...

Instead after my interview experiences I think they prefer people who can simply comunicate effectively, are friendly, confident, and don't let there be too many awkward silences during an interview...

I REALLY think you can be, in general, an introvert and still be all of the above...

Just because you are a quiet person doesn't mean you cannot speak eloquently when needed.

Remember, a HUGE part of being a doctor is obviously communication skills.

In the end, just be yourself and be confident about your qualifications.

Just be glad that you are not like me.....great personality, but dumb as a rock!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by wooo (edited 01-09-2001).]