How many is too many...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itslikewhoa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the MCATs in 2005 (32Q, balanced) and then took some time off after college. I retook the MCATs this summer and got an unbalanced 31R, with an 8 Verbal.

First question is, will both my scores (even the one from 2005) show up on AMCAS if I apply with the 31R?

Secondly, if I retake (because of the Verbal score), will it look bad that I had to take the MCAT THREE times? (Trust me, I hate myself for this right now. Taking the MCAT once is painful enough, but three... man.)

Members don't see this ad.

So I took the MCATs in 2005 (32Q, balanced) and then took some time off after college. I retook the MCATs this summer and got an unbalanced 31R, with an 8 Verbal.

First question is, will both my scores (even the one from 2005) show up on AMCAS if I apply with the 31R?

Secondly, if I retake (because of the Verbal score), will it look bad that I had to take the MCAT THREE times? (Trust me, I hate myself for this right now. Taking the MCAT once is painful enough, but three... man.)

Although the outdated score is available for the schools to see, it supposedly cannot be used in the application process. But, it can still help you in that when they see a 32 with a higher VR score from four years ago, then they will likely average the scores (subconsciously) and give you the benefit of the doubt in verbal reasoning.

And whether or not repeating a 31 is worthwhile comes down to where you plan to apply. That will get you into plenty of good medical schools. If your goals are top tier institutions, then maybe you should repeat the test. But in order to make the time you'll spend worthwhile, you really need to go up by 3 points. If you need a 34 for the schools you seek, then repeat. If not, then spend that time strengthening other parts of your application.

I guess what you say is true. I was sort of worried they'd see the 8 and toss my app.

Both scores will show.

Depends on the school....top schools you have a problem, most med schools welcome :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So three times isn't too many? I thought it might look wasteful of time and money. Not sure if I want top tier but don't want to exclude the possibility and not retake if I should.

So three times isn't too many? I thought it might look wasteful of time and money. Not sure if I want top tier but don't want to exclude the possibility and not retake if I should.

Your score is expired, so it won't be so bad. Three times is not too many, but you really need to make sure that you nail your target score, taking it a fourth time might not be the best thing to do. Also, since your first score is expired, it doesn't look as bad to have to take it a third time.

I recommend not retaking the exam. The verbal score is as likely to go down as it is to go up, and oftentimes it's by only one point. It's not worth the risk.

Your score is expired, so it won't be so bad. Three times is not too many, but you really need to make sure that you nail your target score, taking it a fourth time might not be the best thing to do. Also, since your first score is expired, it doesn't look as bad to have to take it a third time.

I agree. Taking a 3rd try is not going to be a problem. Should you retake is the question?

Personally, I would not, but if you "know" you can go up I would consider it.

re-taking is not necessarily bad, although you do need to nail your score and show improvement. Taking multiple is not as bad as people make it out to be. I took the test 4 times, am applying this year, and currently have 4 MD interviews and 3 DO interviews. As long as you show improvement then it should be okay considering the rest of your app is solid. Keep in mind, that 31 with an 8VR will be okay once again as long as everything else is in order. If you want a top school, retake.

Thanks all, for the advice. The first time I took it, I got an 11 on Verbal. So, I know I can do better than an 8, for sure. I'll prob retake.