How many letter of Recs for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adev900

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was planning on having a committee letter and a DO physician, but a lot of other people have more and for me I might add a volunteer organization and an MD that I shadowed as a possibility but I dont want to overdo my application and have "fluff"
3 letters should suffice, and Don't over do it. Quality not quantity.

Members don't see this ad :)
My pre health adviser recommended 6 letters tops (which I plan to do). Although, a friend of mine is attempting to send about 9. That's overkill.

My pre health adviser recommended 6 letters tops (which I plan to do). Although, a friend of mine is attempting to send about 9. That's overkill.
AACOMAS only accepts 6, so I hope they do the most important 6 first just in case.

I'm planning to submit the following:

2 from teachers in the hard sciences
2 from peers (1 friend, 1 classmate/lab partner)
1 from an MD who supervised some of my wilderness medical volunteer work
1 from a DO I shadowed (will be twice, totaling about 7-8 hours)

Make sure you meet any requirements from the specific schools you're applying to.

AACOMAS only accepts 6, so I hope they do the most important 6 first just in case.

Make sure you meet any requirements from the specific schools you're applying to.

You sure it is wise to get LOR's from your peers? I would think it would not be beneficial and might even hurt your app as friends are obviously extremely bias. @Goro, would be able to tell you definitively how they look at LOR's from peers.

Reactions: 1 user
You sure it is wise to get LOR's from your peers? I would think it would not be beneficial and might even hurt your app as friends are obviously extremely bias. @Goro, would be able to tell you definitively how they look at LOR's from peers.
My main weakness looking at my narrative evaluations (which I have in place of grades) is that I've had continuing issues getting along well with my peers, so I thought it might help to get their perspective on the matter. They've also been my unofficial patients for years. I'd definitely be interested in hearing other opinions on the matter though.

Well, that would be a first.

Perhaps Ahii has never heard the term "conflict of interest"?

This would lead to an auto-reject from me for outright stupidity. Sorry, Ahii, but what you're proposing is extremely foolish. Do NOT do this!

Well, that would be a first.

Perhaps Ahii has never heard the term "conflict of interest"?

This would lead to an auto-reject from me for outright stupidity. Sorry, Ahii, but what you're proposing is extremely foolish. Do NOT do this!
One is already submitted to AACOMAS, unfortunately. :(

I guess Goro already had a chance to comment on this, but it is never a good idea to have a letter from peers/friends. I am only submitting 3; 1 DO, 1 Ph. D. , 1 Committee Letter. All 3 letters are very strong and I think will suffice in that area,

Unfortunately, my school doesn't have a pre-med department, committees, or advisors of any sort to help me with this process or explain what is/isn't appropriatte.

I take it this sort of thing is purely for undergrads then?

http://www.thecollegiateblog.org/2013/01/17/how-to-write-a-great-peer-recommendation/
Dartmouth, a very wacky college both in terms of undergraduate and medical school perception. Very good college, but yes, this only applies to undergraduate applications to certain schools. You can find a list of what is acceptable for each school on the specific school website.

Dartmouth, a very wacky college both in terms of undergraduate and medical school perception. Very good college, but yes, this only applies to undergraduate applications to certain schools. You can find a list of what is acceptable for each school on the specific school website.
It only says what is required (2 from professors and one from a non-academic health professional in the case of UNECOM, with a DO LOR recommended). The only thing it specifically says to avoid is letters from family members. I figures the other 2 were therefore up to my personal discretion. Maybe my discretion just blows.

I think this is a case of not really knowing the right people to ask for guidance, as I mentioned my plan to a lot of people who seemed to think it sounded fine. All of my parents are college drop-outs, and as I said I didn't have a pre-med advisor or anything of the sort.

Despite the high angst levels here, you'll get very good advice!!

It only says what is required (2 from professors and one from a non-academic health professional in the case of UNECOM, with a DO LOR recommended). The only thing it specifically says to avoid is letters from family members. I figures the other 2 were therefore up to my personal discretion. Maybe my discretion just blows.

I think this is a case of not really knowing the right people to ask for guidance, as I mentioned my plan to a lot of people who seemed to think it sounded fine. All of my parents are college drop-outs, and as I said I didn't have a pre-med advisor or anything of the sort.

Despite the high angst levels here, you'll get very good advice!!
I don't doubt it, but there's not a hell of a lot I can do now (to my knowledge) since my friend already submitted a letter through AACOMAS.

I wonder slightly why they feel the need to state letters of rec from family are inappropriate but didn't mention friends.
I (seemingly incorrectly) assumed that the same rules applied as for job references, which is where my only prior experience is.

Honestly? We expect you to know better. These letters are to provide objective evaluation.

I don't doubt it, but there's not a hell of a lot I can do now (to my knowledge) since my friend already submitted a letter through AACOMAS.

I wonder slightly why they feel the need to state letters of rec from family are inappropriate but didn't mention friends.
I (seemingly incorrectly) assumed that the same rules applied as for job references, which is where my only prior experience is.

Honestly? We expect you to know better. These letters are to provide objective evaluation.
Who's to say a teacher or doctor is going to be objective? They got to know and like me just like my friends did.

I'm not trying to argue. I just think "you should've known" is a little patronizing and inaccurate considering I've done extensive research on finding the right sources for these letters and none specifically advised against it. Maybe my idea of common sense is just a little different.

At least I know you won't be on my admissions committee because I'm not applying to any schools west of St. Louis :p so no auto-reject hopefully *fingers crossed*

Good luck with your applications.

Who's to say a teacher or doctor is going to be objective? They got to know and like me just like my friends did.

I'm not trying to argue. I just think "you should've known" is a little patronizing and inaccurate considering I've done extensive research on finding the right sources for these letters and none specifically advised against it. Maybe my idea of common sense is just a little different.

At least I know you won't be on my admissions committee because I'm not applying to any schools west of St. Louis :p so no auto-reject hopefully *fingers crossed*

Last edited: