chaldobruin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys, does anyone know if there is a maximum # of LOR's that you can send schools? I've been told that for each important EC you should have a letter of rec, otherwise adcoms will not take that EC seriously. So if you had 3-4 solid EC's with LOR's, and 3 more LOR's from science classes, that would be about 6-7+ LORs. Wouldn't this bore the adcoms to read so many?

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It totally depends on the school. Some schools only want three letters (two from science professors, one from a nonscience professor), while others will let you send in "extra" letters from volunteering, research, or other ECs. The most I have sent in is 6, and the fewest is 3. Each individual school will give you a minimum and a maximum number of letters that can be mailed.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
chaldobruin said:
Hey guys, does anyone know if there is a maximum # of LOR's that you can send schools? I've been told that for each important EC you should have a letter of rec, otherwise adcoms will not take that EC seriously. So if you had 3-4 solid EC's with LOR's, and 3 more LOR's from science classes, that would be about 6-7+ LORs. Wouldn't this bore the adcoms to read so many?
I sent in 5 LORS + the cover letter from my health professions office
of the 5 letters, 2 were from science profs (who I knew very well), 1 was from the chair of the department from which i receeived my major, 1 was my employer, and 1 was from a faculty member who was familar with my ECs

I might have overdone it, but oh well...

trinitrotoluene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
If you ugrad or post-bacc school has a pre-med committee letter writing service, the pre-med committee often sets that policy. If your school(s) have a committee, then you should use that service, and many AdComs require that you use it.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
chaldobruin said:
I sent in like 7-8 and one of the interviewers said "you came highly recommended" lol... so that made my day. my philosophy is that anything that helps you helps. but i made sure that i didn't ask random ppl for my LORs. i knew all of them personally and if I didn't, i made sure we went to lunch so i could talk to them about stuff. that's just a tip! gluck.