how many letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdiddy348

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i was just wonderin if theres a magic number for the number of letters of rec that we have to send into the colleges. also, do we need a certain amount from science teachers? what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

You can look at schools' individual websites for specifics, but most require EITHER a composite letter from your pre-med committee OR 3 letters of rec, usually 2 from science and 1 from non-science. And different pre-med committees will require different numbers (mine was crazy; they recommended 3 science, 2-3 non-science, and 2 outside institution).

Hope this helps. Usually you can go to the school website and look under "admissions" to find this info.

it always helps to get one from a physician that you have shadowed and are in good with.

Members don't see this ad :)
so I have the premed committee rec which is 2 science, 1 non science, and also a non teacher character reference. i also have my former boss when i was a pharmacy technician that i could ask. should i ask her and submit it with AMCAS or should i submit that later in the process maybe if i get on some waitlists?

this will be my 3rd time applying this upcomming year. i was wondering should i even try to get my comitee letters and letters from my teachers which i had originally gotten? or just get letters from doctors which i have worked for/shadowed?