How many letters of Rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEy guys so how many letters of rec do we need to ask for. How many from MDs and how many from professors? Also.. after how many hours of shadowing do you guys think its okay to ask for a letter? anddd do you do this immideately after completing shaddowing? or wait and hope they remember you when it comes time?

Members don't see this ad.

it varies, usually you are safe if you have 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 MD rec, and get the MD rec when you are done shadowing, have him send it to interfolio or something of the like so you can store it for when you need it.

6 recs will usually cover all your bases depending on your situation:

2 recs from science faculty that have taught you and awarded you a grade, one from your major
1 rec from a research supervisor (could be one of the two above)
1 non-science faculty that has taught you
1 MD rec if you can get it, especially if you've shadowed/volunteered with him/her. (could also be one of the above)
1 from a pre-medical advisor or your undergraduate advisor.

Usually you can get away with the first 4 of the 6 I've mentioned, and occasionally you'll need the last two. Although MD recs are not required, however, you should probably have one.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 science faculty who taught in courses (not research)
1 non science faculty who taught course
1 research (if you got one)
1 clinical (volunteer/shadow/etc)

premed advisor committee

When schools say you can also send 3 optional LORs from outside of class do they mean you can send UP TO 3? Like If you just send 1 or 2 extra ones youre fine right?

For most schools have don't have a specific maximum, I think you can send as many LORs as you want. However, I don't think that a high number of LORs necessarily equates to high quality of LORs. In fact, the more people you ask the higher chance you have to get a generic letter or one that doesn't really say much about you at all. Remember that adcoms have a bajillion other LORs to read. You want your LOR packet to be memorable; if you have maybe 4 good LORs and a bunch of other useless ones, that isn't going to reflect well upon you overall. I've heard that 4-6 letters is pretty standard. Mine were 2 science faculty, 1 non-science faculty, 1 committee letter, and 2 PIs (one a PhD, one an MD/MPH).

When schools say you can also send 3 optional LORs from outside of class do they mean you can send UP TO 3? Like If you just send 1 or 2 extra ones youre fine right?

Yes this means up to 3.