How many letters to assign

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duckie99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what's your guys' take? If a program only requires 2 is that the number we should send? What if it turns out that the 3rd or even 4th letter is a little stronger?

Members don't see this ad.

I would always send 3 letters at a minimum. Four is fine. The main reason not to send 4 right now is if you expect a later letter -- from a SubI or some other experience -- that you'll want to add later.

Do you count the MSPE and the "Chair Letter" in these 3?

If a programs website specifically says they want 3 letters of recommendation are they going to throw away my application/be annoyed if I send 4 letters?

If a programs website specifically says they want 3 letters of recommendation are they going to throw away my application/be annoyed if I send 4 letters?

I had a friend that did this last year. She said that some programs contacted her and said she needed to tell them which 3 to use, some send snarkier emails than others. Other programs implied they just arbitrarily picked 3.

Where do you exactly find our how many letters a program wants?