How many letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamier2

SDN Hillbilly Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school puts together a composite letter of evaluation written by a panel of professors for each applicant. I also have at least two additional letters for my application.

My question is this: How many letters is too many? I asked my advisor who said that I should avoid sending more than one additional letter. He said the adcoms don't want to read all day...

I feel like omitting letters would hurt my application more than having too many. What do you think? I must decide soon, so any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to remember what schools asked for -- it was usually between 3-5 letters -- generally, one from a premedical committee if your school has one, 2 from science profs., 1 from a non-science prof., and then many schools left it open for additional profs, coaches, or work/volunteering supervisors. I had five letters in my file and I always sent those five, no matter what the schools asked for. My premed advisors said that, "Everyone sends more letters than are asked for," and basically intimated that it was unwise to just send the bare minimum. So, I followed their advice -- I'm not sure how true it was, but it didn't really seem to hurt me.

Thanks lilycat,

I think you're right. I'm worried that I'll look like I'm just doing the minimum required. Monday I'll call some admissions offices to check at the source, just wanted to get others' opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had this SAME question -- unfortunately, no one was around with a sensibly, honest piece of advice -- so I said whatever, and I sent almost seven or eight to all the schools I applied to (over 28).

I received 10 interviews after the initial app. process, so I don't think more letters hurt me. Hell, if you know of people w/ great things to say about you -- let them say it! Adcoms jobs ARE to read all day -- just don't send pointless letters to them -- pick and choose your letters wisely -- but get as many as possible. And to those schools only requiring certain ones (i.e. like two sciences and one humanities) .. take the time and call the school and politely ask if you can submit a few others -- if not, s'ok.

Just a thought.

Some schools do state on their secondaries that they will ONLY accept the required letters, and not read any others. Make sure to contact the admissions office if you are unsure of the annoyance factor vs. benefit of sending lots of letters.

------------------
Amy
University of Rochester, class of 2001

Thanks for the advice everyone
smile.gif