How many loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you attending pharm school:

Was the initial award amt from the school enough to cover your expenses for the year?
I know two people on this forum where the answer appears to be no. I'm getting really worried about this, bc i've gotta start hittin' up alternative sources if that's the case.

Members don't see this ad.

one of those people would be me. i only got 13k and schooling is 30k. :(

i got 31 K but schooling is 47 K.
I feel for you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
LV,

Did you have to apply for additional loans your first year?

The one thing that really does suck about being in a new program at a new school is that we are not currently eligible for Department of Education Title IV Financial Aid progs (they're "working on it" is last I heard from the financial aid director). I have one loan out on a private lender to cover tuition + living expenses. I took out ~40K. At least interest rates are low, the prime's ~4.5%

A bit off the topic of this thread, but how long after your FAFSA application has been processed do you find out how much money you have been awarded? How do you find out?

(they're "working on it"

Yeah, state school bureaucracies are kinda funny that way.

You made out a like a bandit though. If I could get $40K that'd be great. I think that'd cover everything.

Brill,

haven't received my award yet dude. i'm gonna be spending all summer trying to beef it up whatever it is.

I'm getting the full 18.5K unsubsidized loan. It gets sent to UF, they pull out their tuition, then they cut a check to me for the rest. Interest is only 3.5%, so I use the loan money for living expenses and make periodic interest payments.

Do you guys mean 30k per year???

or for the 4-years-program?

For the year.

Jd