How many LOR's are enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flymm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The real question is how many LOR's and what kind of LOR's is enough?

I already have 2 science and 2 non science LOR's who I think liked me alot and I had extensive interaction with. I could probably get another letter from a doctor I have shadowed and seems to like me alot, but do I already have enough to say "enough is enough?"

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the school, as I have found out in the past couple of weeks. Most schools list on their website how many LOR's and what kind they require. I'd say that on average, 2 from a science professor (or 1 committee letter), 1 from non-science professor and 1 from a doctor (MD or DO) is definitely sufficient!

Again, check with the schools your applying to.

Good luck! :luck:

The real question is how many LOR's and what kind of LOR's is enough?

I already have 2 science and 2 non science LOR's who I think liked me alot and I had extensive interaction with. I could probably get another letter from a doctor I have shadowed and seems to like me alot, but do I already have enough to say "enough is enough?"

I had 8... and I sent in about 5 to each school... couple from science profs... one from my PI of my lab... couple from doctors... one from a history prof and then one from a community service leader for a program I am in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say that on average, 2 from a science professor (or 1 committee letter), 1 from non-science professor and 1 from a doctor (MD or DO) is definitely sufficient!

So for most schools, the committee letter only takes the place of your two science prof letters? What if the committee is made up of science profs, non-science profs, and community physicians?

Do letters from PIs qualify as ones from science faculty?

I take that:

"We do not encourage that students submit supplemental letters of recommendation"

means no doctors?

2 science + 2 non-science is fine. Most schools require 2-3 academic. It will help to include one from a non-academic source such as a supervisor from a clinical work situation.

What if the committee is made up of science profs, non-science profs, and community physicians?
Then those are your letters. At my school, all my letters go in the comittee letter.

"We do not encourage that students submit supplemental letters of recommendation"
This means, "please do not submit 15 letters from every professor you've ever taken a class from. We will not read them and it will not help you."

5 is usually a good number, with two frm science, two frm non-science and one from an EC advisor

Do letters from PIs qualify as ones from science faculty?

Usually not, unless you also took a class with them. These are supposed to be people who saw you in an academic learning setting, not a research/lab setting. I would use the research as one of your extra EC letters (a lot of schools ask for a letter from someone who knew you in a non-academic setting - research supervisor would work)

Usually not, unless you also took a class with them. These are supposed to be people who saw you in an academic learning setting, not a research/lab setting. I would use the research as one of your extra EC letters (a lot of schools ask for a letter from someone who knew you in a non-academic setting - research supervisor would work)
I know this is a very non-concrete question, but if I've done research in a lab for 1 1/2 years, would it "look bad" if I don't submit a letter of recommendation from the PI? I intend to get one from him, but if a school only allows so many, I have other activities/classes that I have valued more than my research, and I would rather submit letters from those.

If it matters, my order of importance for how much I value each experience:
--upper division bio prof/my advisor
--Spanish prof
--Psych prof I worked with as a TA
--bio prof I worked with as a TA
--physics prof
--research PI

I have stuck with research for a while, but I can't say I love it. I think my PI would write a very nice letter for me, but I think the other letters miiight be better.

Now that I've typed that out... should I avoid having two recommendations relating to TAing?

I know this is a very non-concrete question, but if I've done research in a lab for 1 1/2 years, would it "look bad" if I don't submit a letter of recommendation from the PI? I intend to get one from him, but if a school only allows so many, I have other activities/classes that I have valued more than my research, and I would rather submit letters from those.

--Spanish prof
--physics prof
--research PI

I have stuck with research for a while, but I can't say I love it. I think my PI would write a very nice letter for me, but I think the other letters miiight be better.

Now that I've typed that out... should I avoid having two recommendations relating to TAing?
Get all 6 and pick and choose based on the school. Research heavy school - send one TA and one research, other schools - both TA.

I had 6 letters in my file and picked for each school, some I sent all 6 to.

--Spanish prof
--physics prof
--research PI

Depends how extensive your research was. If you averaged 20 hours/week for 1.5 years in this lab, then, yes, it will raise eyebrows if you do not have a letter from your PI. These words are directly from the mouth of an Admissions Dean at my college's medical school.

Depends how extensive your research was. If you averaged 20 hours/week for 1.5 years in this lab, then, yes, it will raise eyebrows if you do not have a letter from your PI. These words are directly from the mouth of an Admissions Dean at my college's medical school.
5-10 hours/wk, 3 abstracts, no publications yet, but working towards an honors thesis. It's not a priority for me, but it is a good experience.