How many LOR's are enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rls303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been told by some friend who applied last cycle that 4 is enough, but others have suggested that doing 6 is a better idea. What is the general consensus? Is 4 enough or should I be aiming for 6?

I go to a school where we have to take our lower-division writing courses with TA's. I was fortunate enough to have someone as a TA who I really got to know outside of the classroom really well and was able to take both courses with him. He is at the verge of getting is PhD. However, I have been told that it probably is not a good idea to get an LOR from someone who is not on Faculty. Could I get the supervisor of the writing program to co-sign the letter? If I did that, would it improve the strength of the letter.

Personally, I think LOR's should be about highlighting your good characteristics in academic and non-academic settings. I think this is best done by someone who has gotten to know you on a personal level.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,
Gina

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion you should shoot for 6 letters of reccomendation. This is what I am doing because we only have one state med school in Utah and it requires 6 letters of reccomendation. I believe that 6 is the most that you would need so it is a good idea to at least shoot for it.

Letters from TA's are probably not the best idea. Also, each school has their own requirements. A school may ask for one humanities professor. Most schools ask for two science letters. Some allow you to use math, some don't. The point is, don't just shoot for a number, make sure you cover all your bases. If you have four great letters that meet the requirements at most schools, it's better than getting 6 letters just to get six letters.

id suggest 3 science, with two of them from bio or chem, 1 from a nonscience, 1 from volunteering, and 1 from other, like research, shadowing and whatnot. note that some schools also require peer letters.