aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just wondering how many LORs you acquired and who wrote them. I'm thinking that the one from my PI will be the best, because he knows me really well, but I also asked my physics prof, because I heard he writes really good letters if you do well in his classes (I did).

I also have a few other letters, but I'm thinking those two are my best.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Organic lecturer (he also taught my gen chem)
Organic lab instructor
ER doc I shadowed
Volunteer coordinator at hospital
My boss of 7 years
Her boss (a company bigwig)

I think they really helped.

OP

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
how much did you shadow the ER doc? I know one that knows me reasonably well, but I'm not sure that his letter would really be one of the more convincing ones.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
TheProwler said:
Just wondering how many LORs you acquired and who wrote them. I'm thinking that the one from my PI will be the best, because he knows me really well, but I also asked my physics prof, because I heard he writes really good letters if you do well in his classes (I did).

I also have a few other letters, but I'm thinking those two are my best.
****, i never really have a list... i guess i'll make my first one here.

bio teacher
physics teacher
BME physiology teacher
philosophy teacher
cardiologist I shadowed
VSVS coordinator (this club i was in)
1 person that went to the med school i wanted to get into.

so...7. man, that seems like a lot. i guess it did the trick.

OP

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
so did you use all of those letters for each school?

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
I had the following:

O-chem prof
Gen chem prof
Physics prof
Bio prof
Psych prof
Econ prof

I used each of them at least ten times.

bornguitar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2003
Status
inorganic prof- only 3 others in the lab
organic chem prof- upper level polymers course, few people in
classics prof
doctor I've been working with and doing research under for 7 months
college of medicine prof- director of department in undergrad I worked for

Sent them all to each school

I tried to get LOR from professors I could easily talk to throughout the course for purposes of allowing them not only to see my academic potential but my overall personality and ambition as well

Some schools also ask for peer letters- just find a close friend who's familiar with your goals and yourself and possesses somewhat decent writing skills

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
Reproductive Bio Professor/Thesis Advisor
Material Science Professor
Criminology Professor
International Health Professor
Peer Counseling Advisor
BME Research PI
Material Science Research PI/Engineering Professor

hmm. I think this was it.

sockandmittens

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
Freshmen English Prof
Physics Prof
Organic Chem lab Prof
Director of my Study Abroad Program

run_4ever

waiting........
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
My list:

Head of Chemistry Dept.
2 Physicians- both are Clinical Professors of Medicine
Physics Professor
General Chem Professor
Psych Professor

KiKat37

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
Status
-Bio prof
-Phys prof
-Dean of college of life sciences
-English profs (2) ==> was trying to make up for low VR
-Undergrad research mentor
-Surgeon I shadowed
-Volunteer coordinator
-Boss from undergrad
-New boss - my PI this year
-College of medicine prof
-Grad school prof

I'm missing some... I know I had close to 15 when I started applying... And, yes, I think they make a difference. All my interviewers always mentioned my "great" letters. I'm sure they helped me a lot in this process.

But, keep in mind that you don't really need that many. My MCAT isn't great and I was trying to "compensate" with every other aspect of my app. - that's why I got so many letters... I think I remember hearing from my pre med advisor that most applicants had ~5-6 letters in their files.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
TheProwler said:
how much did you shadow the ER doc? I know one that knows me reasonably well, but I'm not sure that his letter would really be one of the more convincing ones.
About 60 hours. He also worked where I volunteered, so I saw him a lot. He played a big role in my PS as well.

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
2 from MDs I shadowed (Family Practice)
2 from Chemistry teachers (I think I got the 2 best LORs here as they knew me really well by the time I asked them for the same)
1 from Bio teacher

1 committee letter from the school where I finished my requirements

I sent the same committee letter along with the 5 LORs to every school I applied to.

javert

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Philly
Status
Medical Student
I wrote this in another thread, but here are mine. Note that I was a MSTP applicant.

1. PI of the lab, who also taught several courses that I took and TAed.
2. Science Prof. who taught a grad course I took as well as another class that I took and TAed
3. Science Prof. who taught an advanced lab course that I took and TAed
4. Science Prof. who was my adviser, and taught several courses that I took and TAed.
5. Pre-med advisory committee letter
6. Humanities prof. who taught one of my courses and was my boss for a tutoring job I had for 3 years.
7. Director of Surgery, who I had both volunteered and worked under.

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I shadowed a doc for only one day. I still plan on doing some shadowing after the MCAT, but it will be too late to get a LOR in to the pre-med committee at my undergrad by the time I know somebody well enough. In that situation, what do you do? Can you add LORs to your applications at the secondary level, or what? I guess I'm sort of confused about the committee letter vs. individual letters, and timing.

javert

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Philly
Status
Medical Student
tigress said:
I shadowed a doc for only one day. I still plan on doing some shadowing after the MCAT, but it will be too late to get a LOR in to the pre-med committee at my undergrad by the time I know somebody well enough. In that situation, what do you do? Can you add LORs to your applications at the secondary level, or what? I guess I'm sort of confused about the committee letter vs. individual letters, and timing.
All LORs are sent at the time you submit secondaries. Some schools allow you to send LORs before your application is screened pre-secondary, but most go out of their way to make it clear that they do NOT want the LORs before then.

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
javert said:
All LORs are sent at the time you submit secondaries. Some schools allow you to send LORs before your application is screened pre-secondary, but most go out of their way to make it clear that they do NOT want the LORs before then.
Okay, but then what about the committee letter vs. other letters? I thought the point of the committee letter was to have everything synthesized in one place, so you wouldn't be sending multiple letters. If you are sending other letters, do you get the people to give you the letters, rather than the pre-med advisor, or what? My husband says he only sent in a committee letter, but he didn't get in many places so he says not to use him for advice :laugh:

River Rat

15+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
geeze...all you guys have a crap load of lors....

1. biology professor.
2. english professor.
3. nih mentor who i did research for last summer.
4. head of nidcr/nih, boss of the guy i researched for.

i think 3, 2 and 4 will be the strongest...but seeing you guys with 7+ lors is leaving me a little on edge. what's the normal amount of lors? :scared:

and then my premed committee will be compiling a letter after all this too. not too sure about that since they barely even know me and all.

javert

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Philly
Status
Medical Student
tigress said:
Okay, but then what about the committee letter vs. other letters? I thought the point of the committee letter was to have everything synthesized in one place, so you wouldn't be sending multiple letters. If you are sending other letters, do you get the people to give you the letters, rather than the pre-med advisor, or what? My husband says he only sent in a committee letter, but he didn't get in many places so he says not to use him for advice :laugh:
First, my school doesn't have true 'committee letters' where they compile everything together. So in my above post, what I'm refering to is a letter written by the academic support people that discusses my transcript in the context of the school's requirements, grading scheme, etc. as well as comparing me to the rest of the students at my school. It's not the same as what you're referring to. If your school has the service where they compile everything together, then you would have all of your recommenders send the letters to the committee people and they would compile them and send them out (I guess...since my school doesn't have it I don't really know how it works).

NEVER have your recommendation writers send you their letter. Schools will not accept a letter that you have touched (in some situations even if it's in a signed and sealed envelope). If your school has a recommendation service, you can use it, otherwise use Interfolio or something similar. I would highly recommend Interfolio because it's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things and it keeps track of all of your letters for you as well as when you sent the letters to each school, so you don't have to panic thinking you forgot to send LORs to some school. I would just ask the pre-med advisors at your school to explain their rec. service and ask if you should use it or use Interfolio.

javert

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Philly
Status
Medical Student
River Rat said:
but seeing you guys with 7+ lors is leaving me a little on edge. what's the normal amount of lors?
I really don't think 7+ LORs is necessary if you're applying MD only...I'm just as surprised as you seeing how many recs some people have.

As I said in my post, I applied MD/PhD, which typically requires a few more LORs, which is why I had 7.

River Rat said:
and then my premed committee will be compiling a letter after all this too. not too sure about that since they barely even know me and all.
At my school, we had to schedule a meeting with an advisor to go over any unique attributes and the like that might make for good LOR material. Maybe your school does the same...either way, you could call them up and schedule an appointment so they can get to know you in some compacity.

OP

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
River Rat said:
i think 3, 2 and 4 will be the strongest...but seeing you guys with 7+ lors is leaving me a little on edge. what's the normal amount of lors?
2-4 is the amount that most schools ask for, but some specify things like science professors or non-science professors, etc.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Each school specifies different requirements for LORs. For example, some ONLY want a pre-professional committee letter (assuming your school has a pre-health committee) and some take the committee letter in addition to other letters of your choice.

My LORs (I didn't send these to each school - mixed it up depending on the school):

1) Internal medicine physician - I worked for him for two years, began as a part-time technician and worked my way up to lead technician & clinic manager. He told me that in the letter he wrote that I was "110% responsible and reliable for the operation of his practice." I have a feeling that letter helped me out a lot. :thumbup:

2) Cardiologist at the cardiology practice I've been working at for the past year. He knows me very well since I work right next to him.

3) Biochemistry professor & my research mentor

4) Genetics & Animal Behavior professor

5) Pre-Committee Letter

6) Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy & Gen Bio II professor

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
TX
prettydoc.blogspot.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
O Chem prof
G Chem prof
Physics prof
3 English profs (it's my major)
1 Psych prof (it's my minor)
2 Internal medicine physicians that I have been working with for 2 years

My premed committee at school requires a minimum of 7 letters, but said that most ppl have more, so I have 9.

ThrowdOffGyrl

Crazy girl..science nerd
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Texas
Status
My pre-med committee has an interview process, and we submit our LORs as part of our app. They read these, write their own letter, and compile it all in a package.

LORs from:
1) Intro. to Anthropology prof.
2) Director of my major
3) English prof. (had him for 2 classes)
4) Genetics prof.

It's better to have a few well-written recs by people who know you well. Interviewers read so many of these...they can see through vague b.s. letters.

gdubb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
nc-->dc
Status
1 biol professor
1 span professor
2 drs in peds cardiology practice where i work
1 letter of evaluation from a pre-med summer program

Sabrinne

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Status
Medical Student
1. PI (MD) from peds lab I worked in for 2 years
2. PI (PhD) from biochem lad I worked in for other 2 years
3. Boss (MD) in the lab I work in now
4. Prof in German, Dutch, and Scandanavian Studies - non science letter
5. Hall director- from my stint as a RA

I had a bunch of research letters which probably didn't help me too much, but I felt my PIs knew me much better than any science prof I had (and could give specific examples in the letter) and I also expressed a lot of interest in becoming a physician investigator. The LOR that helped the most was from my non-sci letter, several interviewers said it was very good. Overall, my LORs were pretty good and helped me quite a bit.