How many LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many letters of recommendations medical schools require if a student gets a committee letter. I know that every school's requirements are different. But I thought if we get a committee letter, that is enough. I've heard other people say that they get letters on top of that from other science faculty, people they work with, etc? Now science faculty put the committee letter together, so why would one ask for another letter from a science faculty who has already participated in the committee letter? how many do we really need?

Members don't see this ad.

I think all you really need is the committee letter, but some people get letters from a doctor they've shadowed, a boss or someone else outside their school. I didn't have a committee, and only sent 4 letters (3 profs and 1 doc). I think some committees send all of the letters as a packet along with the composite letter and some send only the composite letter.

Hey, looks like you're able to get into the site OK now!! :)