How Many Lor's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stversko

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the rule of thumb for the amount of Lor's to send with each med school app.

i know 1 must be from the University Committee, and 1-2 others?

can someone confirm.

-Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

You usually need a minimum of 3: two science profs, one non-science prof.

You can usually add upto 3 more: bosses, PIs, volunteer coordinators, MDs you shadowed, etc.

Your committee letter doesn't count as one of your LORs. It's usually a summary letter.

most schools would rather not receive 5+ LORs. Generally I go with:

2 from science professors
1 from non-science professors

or

1 from university comittee
1 from doctor
1 from non-science professor

So yeah, you are pretty safe with 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your committee letter can usually replace any other LOR requirements that med schools may have.

I went with 3 science letters and I have done Ok.

I had one committee letter, 5 science, 1 literature prof, ultimate frisbee coach, and my boss for work.

My advisor told me I could have as many as I wanted as long as it fit in the 10-page-maximum-pdf file size or whatever.. that they email directly to the schools. Virtual evals...

I honestly believe that my recs got me interviews. My gpa 3.6 and mcat 33 are below the mdapplicant school averages where i've been accepted and interviewed... Maybe 8 wasn't necessary... but I know the 7 people who wrote them for me very very well so I assume they were consistent in what was said about me. My advisor read the letters for me (I cannot read or know what they wrote since it was confidential) but she told me they were all "great"... so I didn't throw any out.

It's your call though, BUT!!!! go for QUALITY not quantity. I'm just fortunate to have many people to write on my behalf (perks of a small liberal arts school eh?)

My premed adviser told me that aside from the character letter and group evaluation (at my school all the science profs that know you get together and fill out an objective evaluation) I shouldn't get anything else. Should I be concerned with this advice???