How many LoR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sketchyMcG

Bonafide
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3 very solid LoR's (2 from science professors and one from an MD that I worked with). My problem is I have been out of college for 5 years and my letters are limited to the faculty that has taught my few post-bacc classes that I have taken. Do I need more than the three that I have? Should I ask for a letter from someone who does not know me well?

Members don't see this ad.

you should be fine for the most part, but there are a handful of schools out there want a letter from a professor in a NON science along with 1-2 science letters. NYMC is one school I could think of off the top of my head, but there are probably a few more.

if you run into a problem meeting a school's LOR requirement, make sure to ask if you can get around it if you cant procure a quality LOR from someone. For example, jefferson has this ridiculous requirement of a physics, bio, chem, and nonscience LOR in their admissions brochure, but if you called them and explained your situation they were ok with it :)

It would be good if you could get a LOR from a non-science professor because some school request one. Did you do any ECs like volunteering or community service? If so, you should try to get a letter from someone involved with that... it will go a long way.