how many Med School did y'all apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nole

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second undergrad year and was wondering how many med school did most students apply to.

I'm considering of applying to 30 med school (10 Dream School, 10 Big-Possibility-That-I'm-In School [lol], & 10 Safety School)

Is 30 too much?

Thanks Y'all!

and Congratulations to those who already got in to their Med School!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 22, and it probably wasn't enough. I got in, but I think luck played a big part. Got the right interviewer/ADCom randomly wanted to beef up the cycling team/remembered the right joke.

In this thing, there are no guarantees.

30 is a good safe bet, if you have the money/credit for it. I'd start beefing up my credit if I were you.

I applied to 45 total, 9 DO, 36 MD in an effort to make this my one and only application season.

Edit: There is no such thing as a safety school in this process, it is not like applying for undergrad schools where A+B = C.

Members don't see this ad :)
17 on my primary, completed 16 secondaries. More than enough, but YMMV. Besides, the school that ultimately ended up being my top choice (and where I am matriculating) was one that I added on at the very last minute while submitting my AMCAS.

I'm applying to 32 programs. Part of it is because I'm a California resident, and our medical schools are really difficult to get into.

32 programs = $1090

Eeep.

I applied to 14. I thought that was somewhere around the norm, but this thread is making it look a little low.

Don't worry, you are around the norm. I applied to 17.

Jeeezz, where do you guys get all the money for that? I only have 9 schools right now...

I'm applying to 32 programs. Part of it is because I'm a California resident, and our medical schools are really difficult to get into.

32 programs = $1090

Eeep.

Yea for the primary fee... add the secondary fees in...:eek:

7 primary, 5 secondary (my choice), 4 interviews, accepted first year. Luck might have played a definite part, but I think people go way overboard. 30+ is more reasonable for residency applications, and for a lot of people even that is more than they need. 14 is way more reasonable for med school than 40.

wow, the response was quick! :)

thanks again and i do appreciate the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
9 primary, 8 secondary, 5 interviews, 3 acceptances. I'm saving some of that money that I didn't use on my app for medical school. Every little bit helps...

I applied to 11, complete at 10, interviewed at 5, accepted at 4.

17 primaries...... 10 MD and 7 DO.

I applied to 14, about half of which were pseudo-safe. I was going to do more, but I was worried I'd be getting invited to more interviews than I can afford to buy plane tickets for.

Somehow, I think that might not be something I need to worry about.

wow I'm surprised at all the high numbers. I applied to 23. My school does committee letters, and their limit was 25 (they said they will ONLY send out 25 letters lol)

I did like 25, but that's because CA people need to apply broadly even with decent stats.

15 MD programs...

I've spent $1,600 so far including MCAT costs. Looking at about another $400 to get those last 5 secondaries out the door. $2k before interview costs. :/

The numbers here are high, but it is important to note that SDN is not a representative sample of the entire applicant pool.

The AAMC-reported average for 2007 was 13. That number may rise slightly this year, but I doubt that the change will be substantial.

I would have no hesitations about attending every single one of them though. I only picked schools I had a legitimate interest in.

9 Here! I was originally going to apply to 7 but I freaked out and added two more at the last minute...

9 Complete, 5 Interviews, 3 Acceptances.

I'm applying to 4. It's making for an application season with very little stress.

applied to 21. definitely could have cut down that number by a couple if I had looked a little more closely at some of the schools; I initially picked schools primarily on location/research strength. Ended up with 9 interviews, 4 waitlists, 4 accepts.

The numbers here are high, but it is important to note that SDN is not a representative sample of the entire applicant pool.

The AAMC-reported average for 2007 was 13. That number may rise slightly this year, but I doubt that the change will be substantial.

That includes applicants in states like LA and MS where people with good stats apply to maybe 2 or 3 schools, tops...(see "Bcblazer" above, a MS resident with "average +" stats, applying to 4)...

But I think there is a point of diminishing returns after around 20 schools for most people, and that assumes that 15 of the 20 are not in the USNews Top 20...

When making up a list, start with the end in mind. How many interviews do you think you need to get at least 1 acceptance, preferably 2 or 3 acceptances? (I live in a state with 3 public med schools, and my stats are significantly higher than 2 of them and right in line with the other one, so I am counting on interviews at all 3 schools, and acceptance to at least one, but to build a cushion to get at least one if not 2 more acceptances, I think I will need a minimum of 5 more interviews OOS). Personally, I think I would hit burnout (and run out of money) on interviews at around 10 to 12 (and that seems to be common if you look at past threads), so I keep this number in the back of my mind as the max number of interviews I intend to do...

How many secondaries do you need to fill out to get that number of interviews? (again, for me, 3 IS and perhaps 10 OOS => min 13 secondaries) How many primaries do you need to submit to get that number of secondaries? (Again for me, probably 15 primaries is the minimum, depending on the mix).

And most importantly - what is the mix of schools that will yield the greatest number of interviews? (using LizzyM, I think that at least 2/3 of the schools should be at or beneath my numbers, so for 15 primaries, a max of 5 "reach/dream" schools, and I should not aim for just the Top 5 ranked schools, but maybe 1 or 2 in the Top 20, say 2 or 3 in the 20 to 40 rank, and maybe another one or two in the bottom end of the Top 50).

So if you have average or better stats, etc., and live in a state with more or less closed admissions (LA, MS, etc), you may be able to apply to as few as 2 to 3 schools to get an acceptance. If you live in a state with extreme competition (CA), or without a med school at all, you undoubtedly need to have a much larger cushion, probably 20 apps. I fall somewhere in the middle of that in terms of IS competition, and am a somewhat above average in stats, so I am aiming for a minimum of, say, 15 primaries with the mix I suggested above...

All bets are off if you have sub par stats...30+ primary apps may be prudent.

Anyway, this is how I am approaching it...YMMV...it really depends on your state and how competitive you are there...if I lived in CA with my stats I would be looking at applying to at least 20 schools...if I lived in LA, I could conceivably apply to as few as 8 to 10 schools to achieve my goal of 2 or 3 acceptances...

One more thing: all of the above assumes applying EARLY, having LORS, etc., all lined up and in hand, and quick turnaround on secondaries...the later you apply, the more schools you need to add...

"One more thing" #2: I do not consider schools like BU, GW, Jefferson, Drexel, and Georgetown "ballpark" or "safety" schools even though my stats are better than their averages...in a perverse way, these are reach schools for almost all applicants as far as I am concerned...not applying to any of them anyway...

Last edited:
thanks everyone, especially flip26. :)

22 MD 12 DO = 34 applications.

Third time applying and hoping third time will be the charm.

I applied to 12 schools. I didn't have enough money or time to handle more secondaries. I limited myself to 12 and only picked schools that 1) I had connections to, or 2) were either close to my hometown or in cities where I have a solid friend base.

I ended up interviewing at 5, getting acceptances to 4, and WL at 1.

Applying to more than 20 schools is simply ludicrous and seems like poor decision-making. It should tell you something that many of the students posting on this thread applied to X number of schools via AMCAS, and then didn't finish 1 or more of the secondaries. Why on Earth would you pay for a primary application to a school, and then not complete the secondary? Because you were overwhelmed with secondaries from too many places? Didn't have time to complete them all? That's $30 (or whatever it is now) in the toilet with absolutely NOTHING to show for it. If you don't want to go to a particular school/don't want to do the 300-page secondary/write 8 essays, save yourself some money and don't put it on your AMCAS to begin with.

Selecting 1 or 2 "dream schools" is fine, but 10 is being unrealistic. Unless you are very wealthy, you should know where your numbers lie and apply smart, keeping them in mind. Otherwise, you're just wasting a whole bunch of cash and hours on those primaries and secondaries.

I also agree with all of the above posters who stated that there is no such thing as a "safety" school in medical school admissions. The private schools that have lower average GPAs and MCATs also tend to get floods and floods of applications, because everyone erroneously applies to them as a "back up."

Last edited:
37. All MD.

I have already sent back 21 secondaries, 14 of which have been marked as completed by the schools with my LORs. I have 8 currently backlogged or being worked on, and am waiting for 8 more to come to me. I will not be returning the secondaries of all of the school on the list in my MDApps page. Probably cutting out Emory, Indiana, Pritzker, Jersey-Jersey and Minnesota. This still leaves 32 school.

I applied to 12 schools. I didn't have enough money or time to handle more secondaries. I limited myself to 12 and only picked schools that 1) I had connections to, or 2) were either close to my hometown or in cities where I have a solid friend base.

I ended up interviewing at 5, getting acceptances to 4, and WL at 1.

Applying to more than 20 schools is simply ludicrous and seems like poor decision-making. It should tell you something that many of the students posting on this thread applied to X number of schools via AMCAS, and then didn't finish 1 or more of the secondaries. Why on Earth would you pay for a primary application to a school, and then not complete the secondary? Because you were overwhelmed with secondaries from too many places? Didn't have time to complete them all? That's $30 (or whatever it is now) in the toilet with absolutely NOTHING to show for it. If you don't want to go to a particular school/don't want to do the 300-page secondary/write 8 essays, save yourself some money and don't put it on your AMCAS to begin with.

Selecting 1 or 2 "dream schools" is fine, but 10 is being unrealistic. Unless you are very wealthy, you should know where your numbers lie and apply smart, keeping them in mind. Otherwise, you're just wasting a whole bunch of cash and hours on those primaries and secondaries.

I also agree with all of the above posters who stated that there is no such thing as a "safety" school in medical school admissions. The private schools that have lower average GPAs and MCATs also tend to get floods and floods of applications, because everyone erroneously applies to them as a "back up."

Not if you choose your schools wisely and don't have stellar stats.

What other students do after they submit their primary is irrelevant to me and my goals of getting into medical schools.

37. Because I'm insane, neurotic, and a reapplicant.

TAKE NO CHANCES!

(If you're thinking of applying to this many, you probably shouldn't.)

I applied to 21, inteviewed at 4, 3 WL, accepted 1. My stats were so-so, but I thought I had some neat experiences (as discussed in my interviews), which may have led me to apply to a few too many far reaches.
I feel bad for y'all applying in undergrad, I was working during my gap year to pay for it all.

Not if you choose your schools wisely and don't have stellar stats.

What other students do after they submit their primary is irrelevant to me and my goals of getting into medical schools.

I most certainly didn't have stellar stats. My whole point is that, if you chose your schools wisely, you shouldn't have to apply to 30 of them to get an acceptance. If you apply to schools at which you stand a realistic chance of gaining admission, you are likely to be rewarded with interviews and acceptances.

As to your second comment, I have no idea what you are getting at. The OP asked for advice regarding the number of schools he/she was applying to ("Is 30 too much?") - I was giving him/her my take.

I applied to 31 schools. It seems like a lot but I applied really late and I truly did not want to go thru the process again (SDN and my advisor scared me a little bit). My files at most schools were complete in late November and throughout December. I ended up getting really lucky with the process or there was something that really sparked some interest in my app (maybe my LORs) but I got more interviews than I could possibly dream or attend for that matter. In retrospect, I should have applied to my initial list of schools (15) but since there are no certainties in the process I decided to take my chances with a greater number.

PS: A note on safeties. The four schools that rejected me were part of my 'safety' choices and one of them was my first choice.

32 MD schools + 9 DO schools. Second cycle... Cali Resident

I ended up getting really lucky with the process or there was something that really sparked some interest in my app (maybe my LORs) but I got more interviews than I could possibly dream or attend for that matter.

Please, give me a break already with the feigned humility. You have a beast MCAT, a high GPA, and ridiculous ECs. 5 years in professional sports? What did you think was going to happen with 31 schools??

Please, give me a break already with the feigned humility. You have a beast MCAT, a high GPA, and ridiculous ECs. 5 years in professional sports? What did you think was going to happen with 31 schools??

Plus he is URM...nothing wrong with any of this, but seriously, this applicant had some extraordinary stuff in his favor...I seriously doubt if the typical white bread applicant would have had the same outcome, all else being equal...