How many med schools did/will you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idandps

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Sophomore premed and just want to have a feeling of how many schools I should apply to. I read on a magazine that some people applied to over 20 schools :eek: . Considering that average cost of traveling to schools for interviews is ~$500, and asumming that a person received interview offers by 10 schools out of 20, that's $5000+20*($100)(application fee)=$7000 spent on the whole process, and after addomg books/prep course fee to that, that's almost $10,000. I think that's some serious cash.

So it would be nice if I could know
1) how many schools did you apply to or are you planning to apply to and
2) is there any way to make the trips cheaper?
3) or should I get a job and begin saving for the money? :oops:

I am thinking about applying to 10 med schools. :)

Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in Texas, so I am only applying to the Texas schools. :thumbup:

idandps said:
I'm a Sophomore premed and just want to have a feeling of how many schools I should apply to. I read on a magazine that some people applied to over 20 schools :eek: . Considering that average cost of traveling to schools for interviews is ~$500, and asumming that a person received interview offers by 10 schools out of 20, that's $5000+20*($100)(application fee)=$7000 spent on the whole process, and after addomg books/prep course fee to that, that's almost $10,000. I think that's some serious cash.

Thank you guys.
I'd expect to spend 3k-5k. There are a few flaws to your figures.
1) Most people won't get 10 interviews.
2) Most people have a state school or two that they can drive to thus lowering your interview $$.

Members don't see this ad :)
idandps said:
I'm a Sophomore premed and just want to have a feeling of how many schools I should apply to. I read on a magazine that some people applied to over 20 schools :eek: . Considering that average cost of traveling to schools for interviews is ~$500, and asumming that a person received interview offers by 10 schools out of 20, that's $5000+20*($100)(application fee)=$7000 spent on the whole process, and after addomg books/prep course fee to that, that's almost $10,000. I think that's some serious cash.

Thank you guys.
I have heard that 11-15 is average. However, I have also read that the stronger applicant you are, the fewer schools you need apply to (i.e. closer to 10-11) and the weaker, the more schools you should apply to (at least 15).

I applied to 24 schools and only got two interviews, one of which was in the same city so travel didn't cost me anything except a $2 subway fare.

As of today I have no acceptances (one 'hold', one High Priority Alternate List) so it just goes to show that you never really can tell...

idandps said:

Thank you guys.

I'm applying to about 12 schools in Canada/US together. I'm looking into about 6 US schools near the Ontario border and I'm not going to apply farther than penn state.
From what I hear the whole process is extremely costly. So try to save as much money over the summer as you can. As far as interviews go it always helps if you know someone else who is going so that you can carpool together and I think there may be train/bus/ (plane??) ticket discounts if purchased in a group...but I will have to look into that one. You can always stay in a dorm with a host student during your interview, which will also save you hotel costs.

I know that American Airlines gives you a discount if there are 10 ppl or more travelling together - but I guess it would be hard to find a large group going from your hometown to the same school on the same weekend.
But you can also get a 5% discount even if the 10 ppl are going to the same city on different days.

So with some hunting you may be able to save money here and there!

I'm from Texas, and I'm planning on applying to 10 (maybe 11) schools: 5 in-state, and 5 or 6 out-of-state. I've heard of people applying to as many as 23 schools because they weren't sure their stats weren't good enough. But I think 10-15 is average because there really is no such thing as a safe school in my opinion!!

n3ur05ur930n said:
I have heard that 11-15 is average. However, I have also read that the stronger applicant you are, the fewer schools you need apply to (i.e. closer to 10-11) and the weaker, the more schools you should apply to (at least 15).

keep in mind, it depends which schools too. you could apply to 20 schools and have poor results if those 20 are the top 20 in the country, and you could apply to 5 and have success at all of them if they're all "realistic" schools for your stats.

It really depends on what your stats are and what the average stats are for the schools you are applying to. I'm from NJ, and I'm applying to 15-20 schools. Most of them are in the area, so those trips are obviously going to be cheaper.

idandps said:

Thank you guys.

I most likely will be applying to 33ish schools depending on the April results. For people who are borderline like myself, I just need to increase the odds of getting an interview. Hopefully, I will get into one of the schools in my state so I won't have to worry about traveling to much if I get interviews out of state.

Keep in mind, many people just apply to regional schools so they can just drive the night before to the interview, so the interviewing cost is not to significant.

Good luck!

Hi there,

I am applying to my 7 in-state schools (IL) and 9 schools out of state.

You can check my MD Apps for more information.

Make sure you order a copy of the MSAR for the year you're applying, this will also help you make good choices. :thumbup:

Don't forget that you will need to get a suit if you don't have one, so that could set you back anywhere from $100-500. Plus, depending on where you get an acceptance, you may have to pay to hold your place in the class.

Because I don't have a fantastic GPA, I'm planning to apply to ~25 schools (15 allopathic and 10 osteopathic)

From June to October I'll see how the results are coming back and if rejections are piling up I'll add a couple more schools. I've heard stories of people adding schools at the last minute and ending up with an acceptance.... only need one...

I'm applying to (in-state):
-Indiana
-Michigan*
-Michigan State University* (MD and DO both)
-Wayne State University*
-University of Illinois- Chicago
-Kirksville College (DO)
-Medical University of Ohio
-Temple
-Pittsburgh
-Drexel
-Arizona COM (DO)
-Oklahoma State (DO)
-COM of the Pacific (DO)
-Philadelphia COM (DO)
-Cincinnati
-UNECOM (DO)
Maybe a couple of others.....

Yo. I feel it is my duty to answer all of these "how many should I apply to" threads with "MORE THAN ME, RESOUNDINGLY."

Learn from my sad tale.

Members don't see this ad :)
idandps said:
Hi, I'm a Sophomore premed and just want to have a feeling of how many schools I should apply to. I read on a magazine that some people applied to over 20 schools :eek: . Considering that average cost of traveling to schools for interviews is ~$500, and asumming that a person received interview offers by 10 schools out of 20, that's $5000+20*($100)(application fee)=$7000 spent on the whole process, and after addomg books/prep course fee to that, that's almost $10,000. I think that's some serious cash.

Thank you guys.

I will be apply to minimum of 15 schools and a maximum of 19 schools. I live in NYC and most of the schools I am applying to are in the northeast to help save money. Luckily the schools I am applying to in NY and NJ total up to 13 schools so that will save me quite a bit on transportation costs. For the other schools further out I plan to check out websites that help save money on airline tickets. My fraternity promises to help find housing for interviews if needed. I am still taking a job this summer that will help pay for all the expenses of primaries, secondaries, bus tickets, and a nice suit. Good Luck to you.

I applied to 34 schools, turned in 28 secondaries, and went to 4 interviews.

34 primaries was like about 1300
28 secondaries was about 2300
4 flight was about 1400
and about 100 bucks more for letter or recs to the schools. (My school charges 5 bucks per school to send letters)

Yes, start saving money.

I am a very strong applicant and I applied to 32 schools. I got 9 interviews. I attended 8 of them. I was accepted outright at one, and waitlisted at the other 7. I have been taken off of one waitlist as of now. I would say, apply to as many as possible for your budget (can't hurt), and do your homework. Make sure you exclude any schools that are rediculous reaches, or are not realistic because of residency requirements (2 or 3 of my 32 should have not been on there).

i feel like im a pretty strong candidate (mdapps below), but even then I'm scared by all the horror stories so I'm planning on applying to about 25, 4 of which are instate.

I think I'm gonna apply to 10-15, depending on stats and further research into schools.

Total cost for me was around $3,500.

I'm applying to seven schools that are realistically possible. I dont really have the $$ to sink into 15+ schools like some people do. So I'm sticking with my seven and talking to God.

I'm applying to 8 schools. If I get interviews everywhere, I will have to fly to 7 of them. However, some are close and can be done on the same weekend. I am projecting somewhere between CDN$2k-3k for me.

The key is apply early. If you get accepted early, then you wouldn't have to submit all your secondaries or go to all your interviews.

36 Schools.

Only because Im applying to a bunch of reach schools in the hope that I'll get lucky with one!

Plus im from Cali.

idandps said:

Thank you guys.

how do u not have a job by now? i've been working since i started high school and i still can't find enough to save thanks to monthly bills, health/car insurance, etc. you must have it made :luck:

sorry to lash out, i'm a soph as well and i know it's gonna be hard to pay for all this. I don't know how many i'll apply to, but most will be around my state. I hope to stay in the midwest.

learn from my mistakes,

apply to 15+

REGARDLESS of your stats!!!

applying to 15. in terms of stats, 4 "reach", 8 "on the money", and 3 "safety."

edit: i'll probably delay the secondaries to 1-3 schools that i'm not especially crazy about. if i'm not getting too many interviews by september, then i'll submit secondaries/money to the other ones.

if we have secondaries in by august, should we hear about most of our interviews by september?

Applied to 22. I should have applied to ~15, but hey, I'm from California and was convinced that I needed to apply to that many. I could have easily cut out 3 reach schools and 3 safeties.

****, I just saw someone on mdapps who had 46.

30 here. 20 would've been ideal for me. Secondaries start to become a real pain once you've done more than 20. I ended up not spending as much time as I should have on some and it became a waste of money.

I spend the last three weeks attending an application workshop for AMCAS and AACOMAS. I am applying to 24 schools (2 carribean schools). The workshop instructors told me that increasing your school selection will increase your chances of getting interview; however, expect only close to five interviews. I am expecting my application to be competitive for DO schools, I am expecting five interviews at the least. However, I am not that competitive 3.8 science GPA and 23Q on the August MCAT :mad:

I haven't finalized my list just yet, but right now I'm looking at about 18 preliminaries. I'm hoping to finish all 18 secondaries, as well, to maintain my odds. Hey, the cost of these applications is just a drop in the bucket in the long run. Look at it as the minor necessary investment that it is.

for what it's worth, if I could do it again...

I would apply to:
Cincinnati (I diamond in the rough)
Pittsburg
Jefferson
NYU
VCU (at least earlier than I did)
Medical College of Wisconsin
Iowa

these are all good schools that don't seem to be overly in state biased.

but I would not have applied to these:
BROWN!!! (they have some strange admissions paths and a very small class)
Albany
Yeshiva
Sinai
Louisville
Vandy
UNC
Duke

im applying to 43. i am kinda neurotic so its better safe than sorry :p

nekrogg said:
im applying to 43. i am kinda neurotic so its better safe than sorry :p

Damn dude I thought I was nuts lol. Are you borderline per se?

My stats aren't the greatest so I plan on applying to about 30 schools. But financial constraints may make me scale back to about 20.

GuzzyRon said:
My stats aren't the greatest so I plan on applying to about 30 schools. But financial constraints may make me scale back to about 20.

I know what you mean, I have to take in consideration how much each secondary will cost. I wish all schools had a valid screening process :smuggrin:

in terms of secondaries, interview offers, interviews attended, and acceptances: 17 --> 12 --> 9 --> 4

as you can see, what begins as a large number of secondaries ends as a "small" number of acceptances, and i'm the first to admit that i was very fortunate this cycle!

you cannot predict which schools will want you and which ones won't, particularly not based solely on their "numbers." also, think of the money you invest now vs. the pain and more money you may invest if you don't get in and have to reapply! :rolleyes:

When med schools receive your AMCAS app, are they able to see how many other schools you applied to (and which ones)? I was under the impression that they were not -- but I spoke with a med student yesterday who seemed to think otherwise. My thoughts are that if the folks on this forum aren't freaking out about it, it's probably not an issue. :) Anyone know about this?

I plan to apply to about 20 schools in mid-June, then add another 5 or so towards the end of the month. Yeah, living from paycheck to paycheck sucks...

wow...

I'm hitting up

Florida
Florida State
South Florida (undergrad)
Miami
Nova
And Central Florida if they get their arses in gear and open their med school in time :)

Yea... I need to stay in state. I don't really like applying to the privates, but you got to at least try.

Jonesie said:
When med schools receive your AMCAS app, are they able to see how many other schools you applied to (and which ones)? I was under the impression that they were not -- but I spoke with a med student yesterday who seemed to think otherwise. My thoughts are that if the folks on this forum aren't freaking out about it, it's probably not an issue. :) Anyone know about this?

I plan to apply to about 20 schools in mid-June, then add another 5 or so towards the end of the month. Yeah, living from paycheck to paycheck sucks...

no, AMCAS does not send any information about number or names of schools you've applied to.

7. 'Tis the magic number. I figure after adding mcat, amcas, primaries and secondaries (and transcripts), it'll come to $1,100.

Doctor~Detroit said:
if we have secondaries in by august, should we hear about most of our interviews by september?

not necessarily. some schools can put you in a re-review pile. if you check some of the threads from the cycle that's wrapping up now, you'll see plenty of people who were complete in august and heard nothing but crickets til as late as march or april. some schools will get back to you right away. some will notify you that you're being re-considered, and some will flat out ignore you for 6 months...and being ignored isn't necessarily an indication of rejection either. it's a brutal process.