How Many Michigan Email Advertisement Threads Will Be Started?

About the Ads
OP
xanthomondo

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Dear Kevin,

Congratulations on your MCAT performance! With the MCAT behind you, the next step in your journey is deciding where to apply to medical school.

Consider the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor. We have only one requirement of our students: excellence. Your MCAT score is only part of the picture. We carefully evaluate each applicant to assess the best fit for both parties. We invite you to take a closer look at what we have to offer:

•Specific scholarship funds that are only available to New Jersey residents—in fact, last year we did not spend all of this
money.
• Ranked among the top 5 schools by Residency Program Directors across the country (U.S. News and World Report, Best Graduate Schools 2006)—this means a lot coming from the people who will eventually hire you.
• Ahead-of-the-curve technology—we set the standard for integrated learning.
• Transparent admissions process—we let you know early and often about where you stand.
• 98 percent student satisfaction on their residency match—faculty advisors work with you throughout your years of study to get you on the right path.
• More than 50 percent of our student body is made up of out-of-state residents—Ann Arbor offers the best of cosmopolitan life within safe walking distance. Our students were once in the position you are now. They went one step further. We hope you choose to do the same.

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got the email too. It kinda hurts since I have no chance there :mad:

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
May 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
So I submitted my secondary to this school a week ago and still recieved the ad. LOL

Ari Gold

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
that's funny... mine says "• Nearly half of every entering class is comprised of Michigan residents " atleast that's semi-personalized

Ari Gold

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
"OMG should I like drop all my other applications? UM basically guarenteed me a spot. What would you do? I would go there over anywhere else so it makes no sense to keep going with the process after this e-mail"

lina123321

ralph: im a unitard
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
over the rainbow
Status
Medical Student
on mine, it says that b/c they didn't use all funds received from nj (where im from) they are especially recruiting nj apps...sounds like bs tho...so for your email ads, does it mention the same type of scenario: we have extra $$, so why not apply...it seems like theyre approaching med school apps from a telemarketer's pov... :(

DF38

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2006
FL
Status
Attending Physician
I'm another Jersey resident who got the email, and I'm just wondering - why the hell do they have scholarship funds set aside for NJ students? I mean, I know Jersey is great and all, but I find that really weird.

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status
MD/PhD Student
I got it today as well.

TSK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2006
Status
Medical Student
mine said that nearly half of every class is made up of OOS residents, but I am a Michigan resident, hmmmm

Ironhead2000 said:
that's funny... mine says "• Nearly half of every entering class is comprised of Michigan residents " atleast that's semi-personalized

About the Ads

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
DF38 said:
I'm another Jersey resident who got the email, and I'm just wondering - why the hell do they have scholarship funds set aside for NJ students? I mean, I know Jersey is great and all, but I find that really weird.
New Jersey: Where the strong survive, and the weak are killed and eaten.

coco11

will settle for roses
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I got it as well. They did spell my name right though. :oops:

Caristra

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
DoctorB said:
So I submitted my secondary to this school a week ago and still recieved the ad. LOL
yep, me too. I was laughing and thinking "would've helped me a lot more if this was an explanation as to why i did not get an automatic interview"

kevinp2

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
taylormade44 said:

Dear Kevin,

Congratulations on your MCAT performance! With the MCAT behind you, the next step in your journey is deciding where to apply to medical school.

Consider the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor. We have only one requirement of our students: excellence. Your MCAT score is only part of the picture. We carefully evaluate each applicant to assess the best fit for both parties. We invite you to take a closer look at what we have to offer:

•Specific scholarship funds that are only available to New Jersey residents—in fact, last year we did not spend all of this
money.
• Ranked among the top 5 schools by Residency Program Directors across the country (U.S. News and World Report, Best Graduate Schools 2006)—this means a lot coming from the people who will eventually hire you.
• Ahead-of-the-curve technology—we set the standard for integrated learning.
• Transparent admissions process—we let you know early and often about where you stand.
• 98 percent student satisfaction on their residency match—faculty advisors work with you throughout your years of study to get you on the right path.
• More than 50 percent of our student body is made up of out-of-state residents—Ann Arbor offers the best of cosmopolitan life within safe walking distance. Our students were once in the position you are now. They went one step further. We hope you choose to do the same.
funny...my name is Kevin but they addressed mine to a Miksha.

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So how many of you added UM today? I was pretty close lol.

DF38

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2006
FL
Status
Attending Physician
DrVanNostran said:
So how many of you added UM today? I was pretty close lol.
I briefly considered it, but it's too far away and way too cold.

tch001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Status
Medical Student
so did they send out this e-mail to every NJ resident with an MCAT score above a certain cut off? I thought I was speacial! :( Still might add them though...

tibzgurl

tibzgurl
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I got the email yesterday too. They got my name right though! they said our percentage of underrepresented minorities accepted is 10 to 21%.

DF38

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2006
FL
Status
Attending Physician
taylormade44 said:
they doo have a nice college ice hockey team though!
That they do - but I'm hoping to go to NJMS and then I'll get to watch the Devils play :D

About the Ads