How many mid-tiers to add to list? (High stats and no OOS connections)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QowsEatDumlogic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have ~4.0 and mid-520s MCAT with decent ECs but went to an average state school. I can't afford to apply to tons of schools and was wondering if it's worth applying to any mid-tiers. I'm worried my high grades will make low/mid-tiers think I consider them "safeties" while the rest of my app is pretty standard and I'm worried I won't get any top 20 acceptances either.

I'm currently applying to six schools in my home state of Michigan, five schools in the top 10, and five schools rank 10-20ish for a total of 16 schools.

Possible "mid-tier" schools to add:
1. Cincinnati - no connections to the area but I'm interested in peds and they have an excellent children's hospital there. Would they care about that at all or would they not take me seriously? I would like to stay near the midwest, does that count as a connection? I would legitimately like to go there if I didn't get into any top 20 schools.

2. Rochester - I'd only go here if I didn't get in to any top 20 or state schools

3. UVA- Same as Rochester, and seems expensive OOS and I have no connections.

4. BU - Same as Rochester and sounds very expensive

Is it worth applying to any of those? I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish you would apply to more schools. You've obviously worked very hard to get to this point, and it seems like such a shame to potentially limit yourself to save $1000 in application fees when you're likely going to be >$200k in the hole before too long anyways. Have you checked to see if you qualify for the fee assistance program?

Anecdotally, the "good stats bad EC's" problem is real from what I saw with some of my friends, but you never know when the right reviewer will read your app on the right day... so casting a wide net is ideal.

Reactions: 1 users
I would add those 4 mid tier schools. Think of it as insurance against an expensive reapplication year.

Cincinnati and BU are both especially good choices if you like peds. Cinci obviously has Cincinnati children's (amazing place) and at BU you would be rotating with BCRP faculty and residents (many of who I personally know are wonderful)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I say add 6 mid teirs - you are too good to have to go a second round due to bad luck. I am pretty confident that you will get in somewhere this cycle, and likely to a good place just off stats alone. However, even in your position, I'd highly recommend 20 - 22 schools on your list, with 4-6 mid teirs/ private schools that are "safe bets" for you.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the same issue! So sorry to hi jack but also I am being dumb... how do I create a new post on here?? Cant find it anywhere

I wish you would apply to more schools. You've obviously worked very hard to get to this point, and it seems like such a shame to potentially limit yourself to save $1000 in application fees when you're likely going to be >$200k in the hole before too long anyways. Have you checked to see if you qualify for the fee assistance program?

Anecdotally, the "good stats bad EC's" problem is real from what I saw with some of my friends, but you never know when the right reviewer will read your app on the right day... so casting a wide net is ideal.
Could you expand on how the cycle worked out for your friends? Did they get any top 20 acceptances at all?

Could you expand on how the cycle worked out for your friends? Did they get any top 20 acceptances at all?

Negative ghost rider. Single top10 II, two mid tier II's, 1 accept to mid tier.