How many months of medicine during intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeautyDoc20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in an AOA internal medicine program. How many months of medicine did you have to do? The requirements are 4 months and 1 ICU.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure ACGME requires 6 months of medicine wards first year.
Don't think that's a specific requirement, at least that I could find in a quick run through of the rules.

ACGME does require a minimum of 1/3 and a maximum of 2/3 of the residency be inpatient though, so I suppose the allowable range for each year is 4-8 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't think that's a specific requirement, at least that I could find in a quick run through of the rules.

ACGME does require a minimum of 1/3 and a maximum of 2/3 of the residency be inpatient though, so I suppose the allowable range for each year is 4-8 months.

Hm. I seem to remember something like 6 months intern and 6 months supervising. But I have been wrong before. Ask my wife.

Hm. I seem to remember something like 6 months intern and 6 months supervising. But I have been wrong before. Ask my wife.
You're right, just managed to find the rule. It's not from the ACGME though, it's from the ABIM:

http://www.abim.org/certification/policies/imss/im.aspx

In addition, the following requirements for direct patient responsibility must be met:
  1. At least 24 months of the 36 months of residency education must occur in settings where the resident personally provides or supervises less experienced residents who provide direct care to patients in inpatient or ambulatory settings.
  2. At least six months of the direct patient responsibility on internal medicine rotations must occur during the R-1 year.

wow our pd is making us do 8 plus 1 month of nights. It just seems like a lot.

That's life sometimes. Must be a small program. Somebody has to move the meat.

Wow.

As interns, we did 7 months wards + 1 month nights + 1 month ICU, and this was not a small program (130+ IM residents). We were covering 4 hospitals, however.

Wow.

As interns, we did 7 months wards + 1 month nights + 1 month ICU, and this was not a small program (130+ IM residents). We were covering 4 hospitals, however.

Yeah depends on how the programs structured. Those front loaded programs will do more upfront.
We did 1.5 mo icu, 9 months inpatient

we did 6 months wards 1 month nights 3 months icu

Program dependent. I did 8 total months of wards in residency, but I did 5 night blocks and 7 ICU blocks. My program cord was good at labeling ICU and night stuff as "acute care medicine" which the aoa Excepts as wards.

We do 7 months on wards my intern year and 19 overall. 4 gmf and 2 ICU (night one/days one) each year and intern year we do house officer nights on the wards.