How many mudphud applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james72681

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many MD/PhD applicants there are annually and how many funded (MSTP/Other) are available? I haven't been able to find any info..any leads would be appreciated
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That question does have an answer, however I do not know. I'd suggest checking the nih.gov page for MSTP numbers and then checking each of the MSTP schools pages to get an idea of how many each school matriculates, figuring the school offered 4 X the number of interviews, then possibly another + factor for how many applied for those interviews. Usually each school page has a student bio section, and you can just count the number of students there. As for the
MD/PhD students at non MSTP schools (since most med schools have an MD/PhD program) each school's numbers would be small, since funding might be a greater isuue. There are about 125 allopath med schools in US so just go from there to estimate each school and their size. I'd say non MSTP
programs would have single digits each, since MSTP programs in size vary from 5-18/year or approx. Should not be too hard to estimate at close range. As for the number of applicants to each program (MD/PhD and MSTP) that would be much more difficult to say. I'd suggest as a starting point for MSTP, maybe like 40+ interviews for 10 ten spots from 75 applications. I think at MSTP schools the number of students in the program is near 10% of total class size, that being what I'm aware of. However funding again is usually the determining factor for number of spots, with resources also being a consideration. Also, if there are 43,000 med school applicants this year, then approx 10% of that seems high, so that must need to be adjusted somehow. Again, these figures are just suggestions.

Baron's, in their med school preview book, states that there were 2500 MD/PhD students enrolled (MSTP and others) last year, nationally.