How many OB residencies should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xchucktaylorsx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The time to submit residency applications is a little over a week away and I've been wondering how many OB-GYN residencies I should apply to. I had to repeat my first year of school so my GPA is shot (2.7) and I'm not the best test taker: Step 1 205, Step 2 223. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has experience or is in a similar situation. According to Charting the outcomes 2011 I'd need around 13 interviews. Right now my list of places to apply to is at 70. Is that too many or too little? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now my list of places to apply to is at 70. Is that too many or too little? Thanks for your help.

With those numbers I would for sure apply to as many as you can afford. Don't look back at the end of this application season and say "I wish I had applied to 70+". Go ahead and do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Well that's helpful.

OP is a below average candidate. I would argue to maximize the number of applications and accept every interview invite you receive to try and maximize the odds of matching
I think Psai was more referring to the specialty itself (and its notorious residents) than OP.

I agree with SouthernIM. I would also apply to every single one of them and see what interviews you get.

I don't get your poll at the top. The poll answer choices don't answer the question.

Have you talked to your advisor or MSPE writer about this? I'm not in the same boat as you, numbers-wise, but that seems like SO many (I'm applying to 27). That said, if you can afford that many on ERAS, it's certainly better to have too many interviews than too few. I have no idea what your magic number would be, but you could always apply and then let scheduling conflicts, budget and sheer exhaustion narrow the interview list down for you.

Have you talked to your advisor or MSPE writer about this? I'm not in the same boat as you, numbers-wise, but that seems like SO many (I'm applying to 27). That said, if you can afford that many on ERAS, it's certainly better to have too many interviews than too few. I have no idea what your magic number would be, but you could always apply and then let scheduling conflicts, budget and sheer exhaustion narrow the interview list down for you.

I think you're right. I need to ask my advisor. And I think I probably will err on the side of applying too many rather than regret not enough. Ugh, I'm so nervous. Thanks for your help everyone.

Reactions: 1 user