How many of you are gonna fill all 15 spaces?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ejay286, May 17, 2008.

1. ejay286

ejay286 Member

Pre-Medical
    I know alot of ppl might be weary about giving details about your app, but how many of you think you will fill all 15 spots? Right now I am looking at 11 with a possibility of being able to add 2 more spots before submitting. So I'm looking at 13.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fastdude400

fastdude400 Italian Plumber

Medical Student
    I filled all 15 spots when I applied last season with mostly meaningful experiences. But as long as you have a diverse range of things you've done, I don't really think that having all 15 filled out is an absolute necessity. I certainly wouldn't list less than 10-11 though.

4. CoolSpot7Up

Medical Student
  5. Dendrite

Medical Student
    I listed 9, and it was fine. At all of my open-file interviews, I was asked about activities I listed down. You can put down 5-10, but just as long as they are meaningful, and you have been doing those activities consistently for a long period of time. If you do have around 5-6, just make sure that you have been doing those activities for years. Diversity is also an important factor.

6. TheElement

TheElement Being Lazzy

Medical Student
    Hmm I have 15 right now but some of it I think I might take some off.

Do you get asked about any activity randomly in interviews? There's some activities that I could talk on about for hours and others that don't have much depth.

7. Dendrite

Medical Student
    It depends on what "stands out." I did some stuff that is outside the realm of typical premed activities; I stuck with them for quite some time, and made a lot of progress with each of them. The interviewers found them to be "different," and so we spoke about them for about 10-15 minutes. Everyone puts down the Premed Generic Club, and unless you were the president or vice-president, it doesn't really mean much - that is, unless you did something very notable within the organization.

They also ask about research activities - this is almost always the case, probably because they want to know how much you've contributed to the project.

8. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't worry if you can't fill all 15. You're better off with 10 really meaningful long-term experiences than you are filling all 15 slots with stupid premed clubs etc.

I only filled 7 when I applied 2 cycles ago and it was no problem at all.

9. TheElement

TheElement Being Lazzy

Medical Student
    Man AMCAS sure gives us a lot of space to describe our activities... I feel tempted to write more than I should. =P

10. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Do it. I used the space available to talk about what I gained from the activity, not just my actual duties/tasks. Especially for activities that didn't make it into my PS. It was nice because it basically gave me that much more essay space and it wasn't a taboo thing - no schools complained.

11. moe_4eva

moe_4eva doprepd on my haed

Medical Student
    According to one dean of admissions I spoke with, this is not necessary. He/she told me that the only time the space should be used to describe what you got from the activity is when it is an off color activity, otherwise it usually isn't even looked over. For example, you shouldn't describe what you got from volunteering in a hospital, but if you're going to add an activity like coaching little league baseball, then you should justify how that relates to medicine and what you gained from it.

12. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    Fair enough - I didn't have too many 'normal' activities so maybe thats why it worked out for me. And based on things my interviewers asked I know mine were read. It could be a difference in schools or it could be that I had mostly non-typical activities (they certainly aren't weird but they can use some connection to medicine).

13. moe_4eva

moe_4eva doprepd on my haed

Medical Student
    Don't get me wrong, I had some activities that fit into that boat. And I am positive it is personal preference, although judging by the sheer volume that adcoms have to go through, a little less probably wouldn't hurt if it's your run-of-the-mill pre med stuff.

14. dc5484

Pre-Medical
    I only listed 7 activities on my AMCAS and it turned out fine. Adcoms definitely care about quality over quantity. Most of the generic crap like 'Premed Club' nobody gives a damn about.

15. bozz

10-11 here

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Scean

Scean whats a goon to a goblin?

Medical Student
    damn, I may struggle for 8, no glazed over bull**** though

18. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    you'll be fine. There is no min and 8 good things is way better than 15 clubs/shadowing.

19. braintrust

braintrust Banned
    Banned

Medical Student
    To Start with I had 11ECs and each of them were substantial ECs that I can honestly talk about (I'm a grad student so I have a lot-undergrads may prefer to have less than 10). I could of had more but I decided that It was more important to combine my multiple abstracts into a single entry. I've talked with an adcom and she said that when I came to ECs it is exactly what everyone has said:

What every you put up Make sure it has depth and meaning. ADComs understand fluff and get pissed when they see it so don't waste their time. Be succinct to the point and don't feel you need to reach the character limit to get your point across which is what you got from the experience (not to list your duties).

That being said Clubs are crap unless you are an officer (and even then it is questionable) so don't bother to include them.

20. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I put in all of my experiences, awards, etc. without counting them, and it turned out to be exactly fifteen. I agree with what others say -- just because you CAN enter up to 15 doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD.

21. ejay286

ejay286 Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree, I only entered one club, and thats only because I was instrumental in chartering the organization on my campus.

22. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I entered them all into one category, except for the club in which I was a treasurer and volunteered for about 200 hours. I think I titled the activity "Memberships and Affiliations" and included club memberships as well as professional associations and honors societies. I felt like those things were important but didn't warrant their own listing for each.