How many of you are happy with your decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happy?

• Yes, Very

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • Yes, but could be better

Votes: 39 34.8%
  • No, but its not horrible

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • No, I wish I had never heard of medical school

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading a few posts on Allo it seems like a lot of you really aren't happy with the way medicine is structured and what not and wish that you had done other things with your life.

Members don't see this ad.

SDN isn't representative of all medical students.

I've had many days where I think I should have gone into one of my alternative interests, but it's always come full circle for me... so far.

People who don't like medical school are much more likely to be vocal about it. It's the same phenomenon you find when reading reviews about restaurants, products, etc on the internet.

To date, medical school has been what I had expected and I am happy here. I know this may change when my clinical rotations start in 5 months, but at this point I am looking forward to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm on surgery currently, halfway through third year, and this is the first time since medical school started that im genuinely questioning if this is all worth it. Outside of the OR, Medicine in general appears to me hardly different than an office job with all paperwork and lack of substance, but at least the hours arent crushing and insane in an office.

I'm dreading going back tomorrow so i can once again feel like an asshol3 shaking extremely sick people awake at insane hours to poke and prod them and ask them to spell "insane" backwards. So that i can then sit and listen to all the poor surgical juniors get berated by our insufferable ape**** trauma chief. Then round for hours learning nothing, then run around to all the charts to check the numerous notes detailing really mundane garbage that i just dont care about (if i can even read them). John took a dump with max assist... thrilling..

If anesthesiology did not exist i would be looking into quitting or transitioning into nurse anesthetist programs, where most of my hours are filled with actually using medicines and watching their effects on physiology in real time.

Last edited:
People who don't like medical school are much more likely to be vocal about it. It's the same phenomenon you find when reading reviews about restaurants, products, etc on the internet.

To date, medical school has been what I had expected and I am happy here. I know this may change when my clinical rotations start in 5 months, but at this point I am looking forward to them.

I agree.

I'm definitely happy in med school and am 90% done with all my core rotations. The people I see complaining the most are the ones that have never worked before or never lived in the "real world." Most people wish they didn't have to work and most jobs involve doing things that you don't want to do. However, everyone always thinks that the grass is greener.

Yes, there is a cost that we pay to go into this field, but I can promise you that most people pay their dues in one way or another. No one starts out at the top and my friends that make money comparable with medicine are working similar hours.

Medicine at least allows me to do work related to my interests and strengths. It's a pretty darn cool job.

I agree.

I'm definitely happy in med school and am 90% done with all my core rotations. The people I see complaining the most are the ones that have never worked before or never lived in the "real world." Most people wish they didn't have to work and most jobs involve doing things that you don't want to do. However, everyone always thinks that the grass is greener.

Yes, there is a cost that we pay to go into this field, but I can promise you that most people pay their dues in one way or another. No one starts out at the top and my friends that make money comparable with medicine are working similar hours.

Medicine at least allows me to do work related to my interests and strengths. It's a pretty darn cool job.

I'm happy for you but i worked before i came to medical school and i still hold the opinion that 90% of medicine is a terrible job. I gave it a fair shot and was excited to come just like everyone else. I might agree with you that its compensated better than other ******ed jobs.. or that, compared to other ******ed jobs, this one might suck relatively less.

But i don't accept that i should simply "be happy with what i got" because there is tons of room for improvement in this job and in most of the other cogwheel positions in our capitalist nightmare.

Like i said in my other stream of consciousness post, i've found a specialty that i marginally enjoy on a good day. But the rest of medicine by and large sucks

Like i said in my other stream of consciousness post, i've found a specialty that i marginally enjoy on a good day. But the rest of medicine by and large sucks

I'm just curious. If you couldn't do gas, what would your next specialty choice be?

I'm happy for you but i worked before i came to medical school and i still hold the opinion that 90% of medicine is a terrible job. I gave it a fair shot and was excited to come just like everyone else. I might agree with you that its compensated better than other ******ed jobs.. or that, compared to other ******ed jobs, this one might suck relatively less.

But i don't accept that i should simply "be happy with what i got" because there is tons of room for improvement in this job and in most of the other cogwheel positions in our capitalist nightmare.

It seems your beef is with employment as a whole and not necessarily medicine.

I can't think of any job that is 100% pros with no cons. If you can, I welcome you to enlighten me.

And if you've found a specialty that you like, what does the rest matter, anyways? I mean I'd rather die a slow painful death than suffer through a career of internal medicine, but that doesn't diminish my interest in the specialties I do like.

Last edited:
Adding to the idea that those who are unhappy are most vocal, I think that even for the same person when he/she is less happy he/she is more vocal. Most of us post to complain when things aren't going well but don't get on and talk about how okay everything is other times.

It's not so bad. The first two years really piss me off since I feel I could've gotten those out of the way on my own in about 4 months of dedicated studying and had the rest of the time to screw around or get on with my training. With the notable exception of labor and delivery, I've liked third year a whole lot. The rotations I've done so far aren't things I'd be willing to pursue as a career, but seeing patients sure does beat the hell out of feverishly studying random facts. I'll gladly go probe people's orifices if it means I don't have to memorize Goljan again. The work hours during surgery were absolutely brutal - why anyone would voluntarily do that is beyond me - but I liked the OR a bunch. Like VoiceofReason, anesthesiology is my wonderful little escape from just about everything I hate about medicine (rounding, uncooperative/noncompliant patients, standing all day, stupidly long hours, etc.). I don't regret going into medicine, by any means, but there were many times during the first two years that I questioned what the hell I was doing. It's a lot easier to see why I'm here now that the book learning BS is largely over.

I came from working full time in various crap ass jobs I hated for a pittance so I really don't think it's that bad. Hell after working full time while attending undergrad and taking a full load of classes I thought first year was almost cake, mostly because I did have some free time for once. haha
Of course this is all coming from someone that wants to go into radiology and has know that was what they wanted from the beginning of this dog and pony show ... so yeah, hopefully that pans out for me or my tune might be changing real fast.

Also, I haven't gone through the joys of third year yet ... :scared:

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with it. Some of the things we learn I question whether or not they are relevant and I resent having to learn them.

I also don't have any interest in research and it annoys me that I'm going to have to force myself to do it in order to be more competitive just like I did in undergrad. Speaking of which, I'm getting tired of always having to compete with people and their insane amount of motivation and dedication for everything all the time... but that's the way of the world and at least the competition keeps me from being a lazy mooch, which I tend to be if I have nothing or no one to keep up with.

I do find most things I learn interesting, and I'm relieved that I've found something in medicine that actually interests me (surgery). Things could be so much worse and I'm grateful.

I love what I do. It is such an honor to be trusted to do what we do, and be taught what we are taught.

That doesn't mean there aren't ups and downs. And the debt thing sucks, but it is a compelling factor.

If you like knowing things, and you like people, medicine is about as great a field as you could imagine. It is not easy, but I wouldn't be satisfied if it was.

Members don't see this ad :)
What makes the swedes so content. Is it the awesomeness of sweden. Maybe. Hard for me to say. Guessing I'd say it has more to with low expectations and accepting what is.

I like my school. It's not a bad gig. It will get much worse. But hey, it pays good. Sick people are everywhere. So I can work anywhere I want. Which is more than anyopne I know can say.

It's on balance a great decision to do it. Despite feeling the impacts of age.

Not a day goes by when I don't stop and thank God for giving me the opportunity to learn a craft as ancient as times yet as invaluable as life itself.

Medicine has helped define my purpose in life. So yes, I'm very happy with my decision to enter medicine.

I am and I'm not.

I thought about it a lot these past three semesters and I basically find the material interesting enough and the work something I could see myself doing for a living. I have other interests that I wouldn't mind pursuing, but medical school happened to offer training to one of the most secure and well paying jobs in America. My plans for a family and a house in a safe suburb and a nice car or two and satisfying work aren't going to miraculously happen themselves.

The true root of my stress is the amount of debt I am taking on to get the degree; every close call grade-wise triggers a panic attack that doesn't easily subside. Also, every time I go on SDN and read in the general residency forum about people wanting to quit because they hate medicine or people getting fired and thrown out onto the street by their PD, it makes me realize how big of a monetary gamble I made going to medical school.

The months before residency begins in 2013 (or 2014 if I end up self destructing this last preclinical semester), I am finding the most well credentialed psychiatrist in the area and giving him money to evaluate me every 6 months during training so there is a paper trail attesting to my sanity and my lack of learning disabilities if **** hits the fan. I am also going to follow this old poster's advice

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7043453&postcount=59

The thought of moonlighting constantly from PGY-2 on is my current plan of paying down the massive debt that I will have when I'm done. I've heard people dismiss with the "it's just money" argument but they are stupid and have never dealt with $200,000+ in debt that wasn't a home mortgage.

But that's in the future. Right now I'm simply trying to finish basic sciences while learning as much as I can. Hopefully at some point in my 4th year/residency I will know enough to not entirely embarrass myself with my basic science knowledge and be able to competently treat the majority of patients who come through my door. The rest is business & politics.

I am and I'm not.

I thought about it a lot these past three semesters and I basically find the material interesting enough and the work something I could see myself doing for a living. I have other interests that I wouldn't mind pursuing, but medical school happened to offer training to one of the most secure and well paying jobs in America. My plans for a family and a house in a safe suburb and a nice car or two and satisfying work aren't going to miraculously happen themselves.

Well stated, and I agree completely.

While I think that it is noble to have altruistic motives for going into medicine; in the end it is a job. It is a secure, probably well-paying career, with high responsibility for human life.

I enjoyed learning about the body, truly enjoyed the time I spent doing anesthesia electives, and I am happy with my choice. On the other hand, I have great interest in both explosives (from a demolition standpoint) and beer brewing; these are two fields I would likely be "happier" in, but have much less security, and much more risk involved.

I agree with the aptly put poopological perspectives and points of concern. Adding only that the risk is minimal if one plays the game carefully. Simply knowing that the reefs and shoals exist makes the task of keeping clear of them easier. I have no problem participating in the theater of dangerous egomaniacs. I think those that get surprised with being wrecked overlooked the dangers or were just very unlucky.

While I agree these potential wrecks are grossly understated, how hard is it to stay clear of tyrants by keeping quiet like a mouse?

If played cautiously this has to be one of the last open shots at a good living. And how people making good money serving half the population are martyrs called to duty.... Is just funny really.

So you're a man? What guy doesn't love those? As soon as I get my own place, the beer will be brewed! and I may blow **** up in my backyard too.

I DO brew beer :) But...I would honestly like to take it to the point of owning a little brew-pub, and have considered it seriously.

Also, during my senior year of college did some work with explosive compounds, and like the concept of doing it for work if it was more secure.

So...I am a man, but also have a bit more passion and knowledge than most, and truly considered both as options prior to accepting the invite to medical school. Now, however, I am 4 years in so I have to stick with that decision. Luckily I found anesthesia and love it.

I DO brew beer :) But...I would honestly like to take it to the point of owning a little brew-pub, and have considered it seriously.

One of my favorite ER docs co-owns a winery in Oregon and is over there working all the time. Hopefully you can do something similar with your brew-pub when medical school is over with.

Huh, well doesn't this poll give hope to us Pre-meds. Thanks for all of your feedback guys and gals. :)

i'd say go ask this question in the internship forum but i dont think that place gets enough traffic

I go through periods where I feel apathetic and disinterested, but no matter how bad it gets I don't regret my decision.