How many of you are wearing masks at work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. So far I haven’t but everyone else does it around me. Wondering if I am alone?

Members don't see this ad.

$1000 fine or 6 month in jail. You can bet I'm wearing a face cover.

Reactions: 1 user
Almost everyone started to after the CDC updated their recommendations last week.

One tech went home sick cause she lost her sense of taste/smell, she didn't wear a mask at work...

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wear the damn mask when you are outside. Even if it saves one person in your neighborhood, it is worth it.

Reactions: 4 users
Mandatory now at my hospital job

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I tried a cloth one but it fogs up my glasses. Now we have surgical masks, so I’ll try those and see if it’s any better when I get back to work tomorrow.

I haven't yet. Some of my techs have been but no other pharmacists that I've worked with

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

They just installed sneeze guards at my store. I reckon that would be a good substitute.

Members don't see this ad :)
No but only because I have not been able to get one I can comfortably wear. I have one a customer gave us but the earloops are exruciating after an hour.

I have zero plans on wearing a mask.

The consult window is well over 6 feet from where I stand and who seriously would touch their face?

IIRC the official Walmart policy is we can use the supplied masks (once available) but cannot use our own. I have passed out my own supply to those who wish to wear a mask

IIRC the official Walmart policy is we can use the supplied masks (once available) but cannot use our own. I have passed out my own supply to those who wish to wear a mask

You can use any mask you want; supplied or otherwise.

No it's in the FAQ they released last week unless they changed it (again)

I have zero plans on wearing a mask.

The consult window is well over 6 feet from where I stand and who seriously would touch their face?

I seriously cannot stop touching my face. Are there people who seriously can stop? I am jealous!

I wear one. Hospital has all kinds of weird rules about it. Mainly just wear cloth or a regular surgical mask, but if it starts getting bad here I will switch to N95.

I went to pick up a script at my independent pharmacy last week, everyone there was wearing an N95 and the tech was using a new pair of gloves for every person.

I seriously cannot stop touching my face. Are there people who seriously can stop? I am jealous!

I grab tissues first

It's amazing how often your face seems to itch when you pay attention.

I swear my face itches more with a mask on.

It is required at CVS, I came around because I realized that the mask is more to protect other people than it is yourself (also more difficult to sue/get benefits if your company provides them and you choose not to wear one).

I wear one. Hospital has all kinds of weird rules about it. Mainly just wear cloth or a regular surgical mask, but if it starts getting bad here I will switch to N95.

I went to pick up a script at my independent pharmacy last week, everyone there was wearing an N95 and the tech was using a new pair of gloves for every person.
A new glove each customer times 100 customers a day, 100 gloves wasted :(
washing your hands with soap and warm water is cheaper and better for our ecosystem

As of today, no masks were being worn by team members at my store in the midwest, but they are in the store ready to be allocated. We have store-use lysol wipes and sprays and clean after every person. Customers are coming in wearing masks and gloves and drive through is noticeably busier. Then you have those that walk around the store like everything is fine and dandy.

Script count is down.

Not wearing because being able to breathe adequately, not overheat, be comfortable, and most importantly clearly communicate with other people for 12+ hours a day outweighs anecdotal evidence and precaution. We have social distancing and plexiglass windows in place already, what is the point of making things even more difficult, awkward, and uncomfortable? Enough is enough already/suffocating oneself is overkill

Masks are to be worn when in CLOSE contact with people with COVID-19 and dealing with procedures where droplets/splash from respiration are possible. Thank you everyone who has jumped on the bandwagon and created a supply shortage for those who actually NEED (vs. WANT) masks

I'm wearing a keffiyeh/shemagh as a head covering since we ran out of the surgical caps. I'm wearing an N95 and a surgical mask on top of the N95, I'm wearing a tight neck/face cowl on top of the masks. (A couple of our staff have it who got it from a family member, and the nurses/nursing assistants who are exposed have been coming down here to pick up meds.)

I wear the safety goggles when I'm upstairs bringing meds, going to codes, etc.

If I'm at the supermarket, I switch the goggles for sunglasses and I'm carrying an alcohol spray bottle, wipes, and gloves on me.

I got pulled over the other day for speeding home after a 12 hour shift. Cop asked me to take off my mask to identify me. I told him hell no, showed him my hospital ID and license and he let me go home without a ticket.

After this is over, I'm gonna continue wearing a mask, I'm gonna continue to maintain a 6 feet distance from everyone other than family. I'm no longer gonna shake hands or fist bump.

No more shaking hands. We will bow at each other from 6 feet away now to show respect.

respectful coworkers who know to keep their distance= no need masks
angry miserable coworkers who scream into your ears from inches away=put an empty water jar over your head

• Haha
respectful coworkers who know to keep their distance= no need masks
angry miserable coworkers who scream into your ears from inches away=put an empty water jar over your head
Definitely feel like I've been practicing social distancing my entire life in being a firm believer in personal space/imaginary bubbles not which to cross (unless family or SO). Now if we can only get everyone to apply "social distancing" to traffic things would be just great

Last edited:
A new glove each customer times 100 customers a day, 100 gloves wasted :(
washing your hands with soap and warm water is cheaper and better for our ecosystem

*200 gloves wasted.

I started with the masks provided by Walmart. I feel like the air just goes in and out through the top of the mask. People who wear glasses say it fogs them up. I don't know if it's protecting me but I supposed my own viral load doesn't go as far when I exhale.

Welp all essential employees are required to wear them in NYS now so I take it back. I am wearing a mask at work

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Any one a little suspicious that like a week ago everyone was saying you don't need to wear a mask if you're not sick, but now they're back tracking and saying everyone should wear one?

Any one a little suspicious that like a week ago everyone was saying you don't need to wear a mask if you're not sick, but now they're back tracking and saying everyone should wear one?

Yeah, coz our government wants to save masks for Healthcare workers and was too stupid to think rationally.

Should I wear a respirator in public?
"Most often, spread of respiratory viruses from person-to-person happens among close contacts (within 6 feet). Recent studies indicate that people who are infected but do not have symptoms likely also play a role in the spread of COVID-19. CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, such as avoiding people who are sick, avoiding touching your eyes or nose, and covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue. People who are sick should stay home and not go into crowded public places or visit people in hospitals. Workers who are sick should follow CDC guidelines and stay home when they are sick. "

What is a surgical N95 respirator and who needs to wear it?
  • A surgical N95 (also referred as a medical respirator) is recommended only for use by healthcare personnel (HCP) who need protection from both airborne and fluid hazards (e.g., splashes, sprays). These respirators are not used or needed outside of healthcare settings. In times of shortage, only HCP who are working in a sterile field or who may be exposed to high velocity splashes, sprays, or splatters of blood or body fluids should wear these respirators, such as in operative or procedural settings. Most HCP caring for confirmed or suspected COVID-19 patients should not need to use surgical N95 respirators and can use standard N95 respirators.
  • If a surgical N95 is not available for use in operative or procedural settings, then an unvalved N95 respirator may be used with a faceshield to help block high velocity streams of blood and body fluids.

No, the masks make my face/eyes itch badly and makes me touch and itch my face/eyes which is very dangerous. I'd only wear one briefly to immunize.

I'm pissed because one of the employees who works in the pharmacy was allowed to work while her husband and son have coronavirus and now she's sick and she's been working the whole time putting away drug shipments that we're opening up, touching, etc without gloves.

Required for everyone at my hospital (surgical mask) - I work in the ED so I wear an n95 when I am up there. When I go over to the covid seclusion area, I get to put on the PAPR - fun times!