mancreatedgod

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
i always try to cook for myself, just to save some money. but most people say that they don't have time to cook for themselves.

i wonder if that is the case for most of you?

kaos

Web Crawler
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2002
Limbo
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Does Ramen/campbell soup count?

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
If you already cook and enjoy it you can make time to cook pretty easily. I mean you have to take study breaks and such anyway. You may not have to prepare gourmet meals everyday but you can definately cook enough to eat healthy and cheaply.

ddmo

BMF
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
My personal chef prepares gourmet meals for me on a daily basis.

No Egrets

Bachelorette of Science
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2003
Houston, TX
Visit site
Status
i cook maybe 1/3 of the time. Easy things like sauteed/baked chicken, rice (a roni), pasta, salad - does this count as cooking? :) Other times I warm up frozen meals - you can usually get lean cuisine or healthy choice meals for $1.40 or so on sale. Although cooking from scratch takes a bit longer, if you make enough for 3 or 4 servings then you have lunch and dinner for the next couple of days already, and all you have to do is warm it up. And the monetary savings is incredible, once you have a pantry of the basic ingredients.

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2002
Travelling via handbasket
Status
Attending Physician
i do an equal amount of cooking and frozen meals. the big easy secret to cooking cheap healthy food on a budget: the crockpot. seriously. i make a huge vat of something on a sunday, freeze it in individual servings, and i have food waiting for me when i want it. very easy.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sweet Tea said:
i do an equal amount of cooking and frozen meals. the big easy secret to cooking cheap healthy food on a budget: the crockpot. seriously. i make a huge vat of something on a sunday, freeze it in individual servings, and i have food waiting for me when i want it. very easy.
What can you cook in a crockpot? I believe my parents used to cook like roast beef and vegetables? and what is different about a crockpot anyways? How do they work? Do they heat the food at a low temp for a long time to cook it? I havent seen one since i was a kid....

v-tach

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2004
Status
Sweet Tea said:
That is a very good idea. Or make a casserole, pot of soup etc. and freeze individual servings. Who needs to buy frozen meals when you can make your own for less money and healthier?