How many of you could take a DO accep. over an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this. I know we're all here because we love the fact that we'll be, or at least are very cool with being DOs. I know I am and if I only got one lone DO acceptance when I apply this summer I'll be so thrilled. HOWEVER, I see a situation possibly happenning where I get into a state MD school and a DO school in a city that I would much prefer living in. I hate myself for the fact that I may have a difficult time choosing DO over MD if both options are presented to me. So I was just wondering what you all felt...Who would in a heartbeat take a DO acceptance in a preferred location over an MD acceptance if they were sitting on both...And does it make me a horrible person that I think it would be hard for me to turn down the MD?

Members don't see this ad.

You're not a horrible person, your heart just isn't in osteopathy. You should go for the school and degree that you will respect most in the end. Personally, I have chosen the DO route versus MD, not as a second or third choice, but b/c I honestly believe in the philosophy and my favorite physicians have been DOs.

Also, you may want to consider which specialty you're leaning towards. As I understand it, it may be more difficult to get a residency program outside of primary care if you go the D.O. route...whichever, good luck to you.

My SO is turning down a NYMC acceptance for a DO degree, strictly because of location. Now, if the MD program was in the same state... that gets more difficult. But after giving a lot of consideration as to her career goals, this was the course that made sense for her.

I've given this a lot of thought too (obviously she's staying very much because I'm here geographically)... and I honest-to-god don't believe the DO program will represent a disadvantage for her of any kind.

Does it really matter that the DO program has less competitive acceptance stats than the MD degree? Does it really affect her career if her classmates are (on average) 2-3 points lower on the MCAT? Does it really affect her career if her classmates had a 3.3 instead of a 3.5 GPA in college? I don't think so. She's the same person, regardless, and her own brains/efforts will take her as far as she can in this career.

Members don't see this ad :)
crys20 said:
I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this. I know we're all here because we love the fact that we'll be, or at least are very cool with being DOs. I know I am and if I only got one lone DO acceptance when I apply this summer I'll be so thrilled. HOWEVER, I see a situation possibly happenning where I get into a state MD school and a DO school in a city that I would much prefer living in. I hate myself for the fact that I may have a difficult time choosing DO over MD if both options are presented to me. So I was just wondering what you all felt...Who would in a heartbeat take a DO acceptance in a preferred location over an MD acceptance if they were sitting on both...And does it make me a horrible person that I think it would be hard for me to turn down the MD?
I would so choose DO over MD that I am not even applying to MD. ;)

I chose DO over MD even before the application process. I only applied to DO schools because I felt that osteopathic medicine and the philosophy agreed with my personal goals that I want to accomplish when I am a doctor. I also chose DO because of the emphasis on primary care and preventive medicine. I mean why would I waste my time applying to MD schools when I know that I would be happier in a DO school.

I only applied to DO schools as well. Go where you'll be happy! To be honest, I did consider applying to my state MD schools because of the tution. However, I ultimately decided against it.

I also only applied to DO schools. I made my decision to go into medicine after learning what a DO was all about. It perfectly fits my interests and goals, as the above poster also stated. I had considered many careers in healthcare, such as physical therapist, nutritionist, personal trainer, chiropractor and a regular primary care physician. I concluded that a DO will allow me to encompass many of these principles and be the complete type of doctor that I envision, ie overall health and wellness based. If DO's did not exist and there was an MD specialty that encompassed all that is a DO, I would have gone for that. The letters essentially mean nothing to me. It is the type of person and education that make the doctor.

I'll admit that I think a substantial proportion of people go DO because they didn't have the credentials and couldn't get into MD schools. It does bother me, as they will be taking some places away from those who really desire to be DO's, but in the end people who feel that they settled will learn that we're all doctors.

my classes (and advisors!) have hounded into my head Prevention is #1 and HOLISTIC is #1 (although not D.O. but life in general). Plus, my pre-med advisor only goes to DOs so when I told her I wanted to do the DO she was excited since most of her advisees didn't even know about DO :D

I would only do MD in NYC (specifically Cornell :p ) or UF (my b/f goes here) but otherwise, i'd much much prefer DO

I have a feeling I am going to be faced with this decision. A DO acceptance in Chicago versus an MD acceptance in Penn or KY versus an in-state DO acceptance.

Not sure how its gonna pan out.

Punchap said:
Also, you may want to consider which specialty you're leaning towards. As I understand it, it may be more difficult to get a residency program outside of primary care if you go the D.O. route...whichever, good luck to you.

This is absolutely not true. We have DO neurosurgeons, derm, ENT, surgery, transplant surg, ortho.... everything. Plus like half of DOs match into allopathic residencies....

This is a total myth. Absolute misrepresentation of the facts.

I was accepted into MD and DO. I chose DO. Why? You can do all teh same MD stuff, but you also have an extra tool in your toolbox, that very few people have.

SOOO many things go into choosing where you will attend school. Location, cost, degree, and match status are all equally important.

40 years ago DO was mostly "I didn't get into an allopathic school." Today, DO is "I chose the philosophy," as DOs gain more credability and increase their numbers exponentially as the do every year. (get it...as they do ...oh well)

It's not crazy to choose DO over MD if you really believe in it; if the location is better, if the cost works out, or if you are happy with the match. It is crazy to not chose DO because your spouse wants you to; your parents want you to; you're worried about a "stigma" or you don't want to take off your shirt in OMM lab.

Either way you'll be a doctor. Good luck!

I only applied to DO schools even though I had a great shot at my state MD program (U of North Dakota). It was a easy decision for me!

What I've learned over the years and definately on this site is that Allopathic= Arrogance and overconfidence (not always true)
Osteopathic= Openmindedness and friendliness

I might get some flack for my comments but I'm sick and tired of hearing about DO vs. MD decisions. Just pick the route that best fits you. Do not pick DO because you couldn't get into an allopathic program.

I just don't see whats so important about the f***ing letters behind your name!! You tenacious little allopathic wannabees need to grow up because in the real world patients don't care what letters you have they just care about how good of health care they will receive.

Sorry for the negative post but I just had to vent! :mad:

Werty

buffalomoose said:
SOOO many things go into choosing where you will attend school. Location, cost, degree, and match status are all equally important.

40 years ago DO was mostly "I didn't get into an allopathic school." Today, DO is "I chose the philosophy," as DOs gain more credability and increase their numbers exponentially as the do every year. (get it...as they do ...oh well)

It's not crazy to choose DO over MD if you really believe in it; if the location is better, if the cost works out, or if you are happy with the match. It is crazy to not chose DO because your spouse wants you to; your parents want you to; you're worried about a "stigma" or you don't want to take off your shirt in OMM lab.

Either way you'll be a doctor. Good luck!

Here Here.....!!!!!!!

I chose DO over MD all the way, and some big name MD schools were seeking me out....

Members don't see this ad :)
I turned down SLU (MD) for COMP, mainly because of location and cost (I really can't see myself living in St. Louis, Missouri for four years!). I also know another person who turned down Reno (MD) for COMP as well. Today the difference between MD and DO has gotten so much less significant that people like us can actually do that without being total idiots. Also - I'm planning on going into EM (moderately competitive specialty) but it is true that it's harder to get into competitive specialties (I'm NOT saying you can't do it, I'm JUST saying that it IS harder - but it CAN be done).

I choose DO over MD because two of the DO schools that I was accepted to had better reputations than the MD school I got into. Besides reputation, I choose based on my impressions of the schools. Yes, I have to explain why DO to some people, deal with the opinions that I didn't qualify for MD, etc, but I am very happy with my choice. Actually, I am overjoyed that I had a choice.

I can TOTALLY relate. I love the osteopathic philosophy, hence I applied to DO programs. I also applied to MD programs because...I don't know what, my MCAT was average so I wasn't expecting anything. I don't want to be ahead of myself here, but I went to an interview in NY for an MD program and was completely disappointed. I thought a school with such reputation would leave a better impression on me. I like NY and would love to live there, but I would also want to attend a school that makes me happy. I am also in the waislist for an MD program in NJ. I have been accepted to LECOM-B and NSU. I am chosing to to go to NSU. If I get an acceptance for the school in NY...I'd be in a tough spot. Everyone tells me that I should go for the MD, and NY and blah blah blah. And in my head it makes sense. But my heart (and my passion for medicine) points in another direction. Maybe I'll have nothing to worry about if I don't get in. Which I am hoping is the case, so I actually don't have to make a choice.

Just focus on your MCAT for now, if you haven't taken it. And worry about dilemmas later :)
Best of luck!
Karina

crys20 said:

If I had a choice (which it doesn't appear that I will! :laugh: ), I would take everything into consideration. Location, cost, availability of jobs for my fiance, place to raise my son, etc. But honestly, now that I've emersed myself into my DO application and learning everything I can about osteopathy, I have a definite preference towards a DO program. Not only do I like the philosophy and see that coincides with my personality, but also the way I've been treated since I started applying to DO schools. I actually had one school call me to make sure I got their secondary and wanted to know if I had any questions. Not one single MD school could have cared less if I received their secondary, nor if I had any questions! I've given alot of thought to my future at this point, and if I were to not get in this year, I would only apply to DO schools next year.

crys20 said:
I applied only to osteopathic medical schools, because I believe the DO philosophy is more my style. If your question is DO vs MD, then there is no doubt in my mind, DO. If there are other factors, then do what is best for you and your family. If you are concerned with being a DO vs MD, then perhaps you should make a list of pros/cons of both options and go from there. Osteopathic medicine should not be a second choice to allopathic medicine. I do not believe that you are a horrible person, however, only choose osteopathic medicine if you can be committed to being a DO. The stigma associated with being a DO is due, partially, to the fact that some osteopathic students believe that they were not good enough to get into an allopathic school. Being proud of being a DO and what it stands for is a necessary part of maintaining and continuing to gain the respect that is deserved in the medical community. If I had my way, there would be no osteopathic students that did not want to be osteopathic students (people who would prefer allopathic but used osteopathic as a second choice). "Who would in a heartbeat take a DO acceptance in a preferred location over an MD acceptance if they were sitting on both?" ME:) I hope that this post was helpful. I hope you do well, whether you choose osteopathic or allopathic medicine. They are both very respectable and rewarding carreers.
csh

People keep emphasizing that D.O should not be a back up for people who don’t get into M.D schools, yet for the vast majority of cases it is. I should also note that this is not necessarily a bad thing, I know that many people who apply to D.O schools have great GPAs, LORs, etc. but most score 3-4 points less on the MCAT compared to successful M.D applicants. This does not in anyway indicate that they’re any less intelligent or competent, we all know that much of doing well on the MCAT has to do with being a good test taker with respect to the specific format that the MCAT uses. Anyway, many of the D.O applicants would actually be quite competitive if they were ever admitted to M.D schools, but because most M.D schools are obsessed with the MCAT scores, these applicants attend D.O schools, most have to work harder than their M.D counterparts to get accepted into competitive specialties, but at the end, if they want it bad enough, they’ll get it, both paths (M.D and D.O) end at the same place.

My GPA is 3.55 and my MCAT score was 27R VR 7 BS 10 PS 10 WS R. I applied to six MD schools and six DO schools. Thus far in the process I interviewed at five of the six DO schools and was accepted to two, waitlisted at two, and rejected at one. I've been rejected post secondary at five of the six MD programs and I still await an interview from one MD program and one DO program. This goes to show how much weight allo programs put on the MCAT. Of all the great things on my application, it seems the only thing they looked at was that VR 7 and I am very thankful that the DO programs looked past that and saw what my application had to offer. My next goal is to smoke the boards and show that the MCAT really doesn't predict how well one does in med school. Plus I really can't wait to learn OMM and use on those who have questioned me going to a DO school!

I decided on D.O. before I ever submitted my applications. I knew my numbers were where many M.D. schools are and I would be competitive. But considering my personal philosophies, goals, and family situation I decided on D.O. - specifically KCOM. Luckily I was eventually accepted there.

I disagree that you should only apply D.O. if you are gung-ho D.O. If you feel you could be happy doing it go for it. If you get accepted to more than one school you can reconsider your situation according to your new information. But best to explore every option you could see yourself accepting.

Inquiringmind24 said:
My next goal is to smoke the boards and show that the MCAT really doesn't predict how well one does in med school.

I'm in the same situation and was thinking the same exact thing, in fact it would be nice to save the rejection letters from the M.D schools, wait a couple of years, and then once you smoke the boards, send a copy of your board score along with the rejection letter to the dean of admissions. :cool:

JohnDO said:
I only applied to DO schools as well. Go where you'll be happy! To be honest, I did consider applying to my state MD schools because of the tution. However, I ultimately decided against it.
I did apply to my state school (b/c of the money issue) but now feel that it will be the best route for me in the overall picture. I loved KCOM, given the history and rigor of the program. It was high on my list, as was DMU and VCOM. I had narrowed everything down to VCOM and Quillen but Quillen had the more established and cheaper program. Plus, they offer a manipulation night in Kingsport once a week. Over four years, plus three if you stay for residency, one should be fairly proficient at manipulation (I don't know, I'm speaking as an outsider). They have D.O. docs and several residents who teach it. I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds this way (or at least, the part of both worlds that I want).

smc927 said:
I decided on D.O. before I ever submitted my applications. I knew my numbers were where many M.D. schools are and I would be competitive. But considering my personal philosophies, goals, and family situation I decided on D.O. - specifically KCOM. Luckily I was eventually accepted there.

I disagree that you should only apply D.O. if you are gung-ho D.O. If you feel you could be happy doing it go for it. If you get accepted to more than one school you can reconsider your situation according to your new information. But best to explore every option you could see yourself accepting.
I would not discourage anyone from applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools. I was thinking of applying to my state allopathic schools as a back-up plan to the osteopathic schools. However, the focus of my prior post, was to make a decision that he can be happy with. "If I had my way, there would be no osteopathic students that did not want to be osteopathic students (people who would prefer allopathic but used osteopathic as a second choice)." The comments surrounding this text indicate that the attitude of those individuals is the focus, not applying to DO and MD programs. My comment was very similar to yours: I do not believe that you are a horrible person, however, only choose osteopathic medicine if you can be committed to being a DO vs If you feel you could be happy doing it go for it. I have respect for physicians of both groups. I favor the osteopathic path and encourage anyone that will be committed and happy being a DO to go for it. However, if the attitude of second class physicians is there, please pursue allopathic medicine.

None of the prior post from shane679 were intended to offend anyone. Hope that everyone has a great day and best wishes in your educational goals. :)
csh
(p.s. Have you ever read the book Gung-Ho? It may sound kind of silly, but I enjoyed it :thumbup: )

I will be applying to both D.O. and M.D. schools and I would choose D.O. in a second unless somehow a top M.D. school emerges with a better fin aid package or something crazy like that. I love the D.O. philosophy and OMM, but at the end of the day we are all doctors and cost and quality of education are my biggest priorities not the letters at the end. That being said I would choose my state D.O. school over every M.D. program I have looked at so far with only one exception and that school is a longshot at best. I mean I don't think the most loyal D.O. pre-meds would turn down a full ride at Harvard or the like if it arose but that is very different from using D.O. as a backup which I feel is poor form. If you really think M.D. is better (which I feel it is not) you should wait it out for a M.D. acceptance and not apply to D.O. schools. Just my 2¢

I applied to three DO schools and 8 MD schools. The MD schools i chose all have strong research programs in complementary, or holistic areas, so they matched my values though it made my heart sink to think of not learning manipulation.

The biggest reason i can see for choosing an MD program-- besides heart, passion, yadda yadda-- is money. The average debt from DO schools at grad seems MUCH higher. I'm bummed about that. Oh well.

I would. Oh wait, I didn't apply to MD schools bc I would prefer the educatoin that I feel I will get at a DO school. I just know this is right for me, I have no reason to question my instincts. :)

Inquiringmind24 said:
My GPA is 3.55 and my MCAT score was 27R VR 7 BS 10 PS 10 WS R. I applied to six MD schools and six DO schools. Thus far in the process I interviewed at five of the six DO schools and was accepted to two, waitlisted at two, and rejected at one. I've been rejected post secondary at five of the six MD programs and I still await an interview from one MD program and one DO program. This goes to show how much weight allo programs put on the MCAT. Of all the great things on my application, it seems the only thing they looked at was that VR 7 and I am very thankful that the DO programs looked past that and saw what my application had to offer. My next goal is to smoke the boards and show that the MCAT really doesn't predict how well one does in med school. Plus I really can't wait to learn OMM and use on those who have questioned me going to a DO school!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :)
well said. i agree that too much weight is placed on the blasted MCAT. but we'll show 'em. good luck to you.

I'm not applying to any allopathic schools. Besides feeling like the DO 'philosophy' clicks better with me, I specifically want to learn OMT.

Actually the DO philosophy / DO school study is a great way to learn medicine. I like some of the OMT training and the fact that DOs are a minority among physcians.

What I don't like is the negative things I read on the net (SDN included) about the DO profession. It is a real turn off. Especially how insecure some people are about this profession, selling DO as the wholy grail, and alienating themself from the AMA member/colleagues.

Another important aspect of DO training that hasn't been addressed here is the fact that a number of DO schools are committing to publishing more peer-reviewed research.

I know this might seem incendiary on this thread, particularly to those who feel that osteopaths should not stray far from their holistic and primary care roots, but OMM research is pretty promising. Not only can it attract funding and competitive students to the schools (who might not be as familiar with the DO philosophy and its impact on society), but it also provides tangible published data on the effectiveness of OMM in a WIDE range of national studies.

I started finding out more about this when a osteopathic student showed me how to take care of my carpal tunnel's, and then sent me research about how OMM has been a remarkable treatment to aleviate CTS sufferers. I've even heard that TCOM's Osteopathic Research Center is undertaking some remarkable aging research studies at the moment.

Like I said, this might be a hot-button issue for people who don't want to see the DO philosophy shaken, but research in osteopathic medicine has the potential to help both the patients who receive the treatment (and will be referred for the treatment if there is published data showing its effectiveness), as well as DO schools that conduct the studies. :cool:

I only applied to DO schools because of a few experiences I had with DO's and MD's. If there is anyone who is on the fence about which way they want to go, I would strongly suggest reading "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu and then evaluate the osteopathic philosophy.

The Engineer said:
I only applied to DO schools because of a few experiences I had with DO's and MD's. If there is anyone who is on the fence about which way they want to go, I would strongly suggest reading "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu and then evaluate the osteopathic philosophy.
Yes! Maximum efficiency with minimum effort. :clap:

I currently go to Drexel IMS, which is a 'feeder' into the MD program. After learning about the osteopathic philosophy in our medical ethics class, I decided to withdraw my AMCAS and only apply to DO schools. If anyone ever tells me that I applied to DO only cause I couldn't get into an MD program, we'll compare MCATs and that oughta shut them up.

I applied to DO and MD. Got accepted to both EVMS and VCOM (I'm VA resident) and chose VCOM. It was an easy decision, while I like EVMS and the atmosphere I loved VCOM. My family lives in the area and my husband recieved a great job offer there too. I want to be a rural peds physician, nothing fit better into my career goals than VCOM. I initially wrestled with the whole md vs do stigma and my dad, uncle, and grandfather are all mds, but I got over it and have their encouragement and support. I can't wait to start in the fall and be a proud DO.

smc927 said:
I decided on D.O. before I ever submitted my applications. I knew my numbers were where many M.D. schools are and I would be competitive. But considering my personal philosophies, goals, and family situation I decided on D.O.

Me too! Just D.O. it! quoted from somebody on this site.

heech said:
My SO is turning down a NYMC acceptance for a DO degree, strictly because of location. Now, if the MD program was in the same state... that gets more difficult. But after giving a lot of consideration as to her career goals, this was the course that made sense for her.

I've given this a lot of thought too (obviously she's staying very much because I'm here geographically)... and I honest-to-god don't believe the DO program will represent a disadvantage for her of any kind.

Does it really matter that the DO program has less competitive acceptance stats than the MD degree? Does it really affect her career if her classmates are (on average) 2-3 points lower on the MCAT? Does it really affect her career if her classmates had a 3.3 instead of a 3.5 GPA in college? I don't think so. She's the same person, regardless, and her own brains/efforts will take her as far as she can in this career.

This part of the post is somewhat misleading, b/c it implys that it is without exception, harder to get into MD schools. "Does it really matter that the DO program has less competitive acceptance stats than the MD degree?"

There are more people that apply to the DO programs and there are only a hand full of the schools that give the DO degree...

i picked this info up somewhere when i was reading about the application process. feel free to do a google search i suppose

Topper Harley said:
This part of the post is somewhat misleading, b/c it implys that it is without exception, harder to get into MD schools. "Does it really matter that the DO program has less competitive acceptance stats than the MD degree?"

There are more people that apply to the DO programs and there are only a hand full of the schools that give the DO degree...

i picked this info up somewhere when i was reading about the application process. feel free to do a google search i suppose

I think you are correct. I read somewhere that DO schools get more applicants and it is just as hard, if not harder, to get in.

Does anyone have any reliable statistics on residency matches for DOs into what are considered more competitive programs (ie neurosurgery, surgeries, etc)

I applied to two DOs and like 9 MDs; I withdrew my app to the second DO as I got accepted to MSU COM very early. After my interview there, I decided it is a place that I would be very comfortable with, and would love. However, I decided the same thing about 3 of the MD programs (UMich [waitlisted], Case [decision very soon, I hope], and OSU [deferred]). So I have to make an educated decision on this someday soon, not only based on feeling but also on my future goals. I don't think I am going to go into primary care, so it is something I have to be concerned about. Also, I really love the preventative philosophy, the whole body approach, and just that DOs seemed more in tune to patient needs (ie not just giving another cure-all drug).

annh31 said:
I think you are correct. I read somewhere that DO schools get more applicants and it is just as hard, if not harder, to get in.

The president of the AOA wrote an article in response to a statement made against D.Os, in that article he mentioned that according to a research done by New York Times (I think), M.D schools accept 1 out of every 3 applicants, while D.O schools accept 1 out of every 5 applicants.

The main reasons that I see people choose DO over MD:
1. Family tradition
2. Better Location
3. Philosophy
4. OMT
5. Had a DO impact their life in some significant way
6. Tuition (for those state schools)
7. High interest in neuromuscular med or pain management
8. Felt more comfortable at the school
9. Better facilities at the DO school
10. Better track record on boards
11. Got kicked out of MD school
12. couldn't get into MD school
13. Hate research
I have seen at least one example of each. The good news (sincerely) is that no one cares in the end. I'm in ortho though so they see my letters and think "Doctor of Orthopedic Surgery" (seriously, heard it like 3 times). However, no one cares, Just remember the MD dogma is out there (ex. "PMD" premade notes that have "MD signuture" and EKG's that say "preliminary report MD must review" So take it with a grain and exchange MD with DO. That is also a good way to talk to your patients, that there is a philosophical difference, but they are otherwise interchangable. IF you are ever even asked.

I'm an MS-III at DMU. My last post was probably in 2002. I came to the Pre-Med forums to see if people are still having this same conversation and low and behold I find this thread. Here's my experience so far: I applied to 3 schools, all osteopathic b/c 1. I had plenty of positive experiences w/DOs as a patient, 2. I thought the philosophy made sense, and 3. I was changing careers and knew that DO schools tend to value life experience more than MD schools. Result: 3 interview offers with 2 completed before I accepted the position at DMU. In my 3rd year rotations I have worked with DOs and MDs. The DO (Family Practice) sent pts in need of manipulation to a chiropractor, and two MD's (Med/Peds and Family Practice) actively sought my OMM skills to help their patients. Incidentally, I was the first DO the Med/Peds doc had worked with and he said, at the end of my rotation,that he didn't know what to expect from a DO but I was as well as or more knowledgable and capable as the MD students he's had. I have learned that a medical degree, be it a DO or an MD, is what you make of it. Ask 10 people their opinions and you'll get 10 different responses. So, weigh all the factors that matter to you and just go be a good doctor already.

Wow...thanks for all the responses guys. I didn't know that when I asked this question my answer would be a resounding "everyone would pick DO!'! I wish some of the less enlightened pre-allo folks could read all of your responses for choosing osteopathy.

I'm not sure how things will go for me, or even if I'll be so lucky as to be presented with the option of MD vs DO; but you all have really made me see that DO ISN'T a back up option, it's THE option for lots and lots of people...And that I would be LUCKY to get a DO acceptance this coming fall.

crys20 said:
Wow...thanks for all the responses guys. I didn't know that when I asked this question my answer would be a resounding "everyone would pick DO!'! I wish some of the less enlightened pre-allo folks could read all of your responses for choosing osteopathy.

I'm not sure how things will go for me, or even if I'll be so lucky as to be presented with the option of MD vs DO; but you all have really made me see that DO ISN'T a back up option, it's THE option for lots and lots of people...And that I would be LUCKY to get a DO acceptance this coming fall.
It's actually kind of funny (and possibly sad at the same time), people on SDN get mad about this and a couple of other topics. They start out with posts like "this has been discussed to death." But look at which threads attract the most people. Methinks thou doth protest too much. ;)

if all things had been equal, i would have probably decided to go to a DO school instead of my state school. but b/c of the tuition difference i jumped ship. i guess that makes me a $$$$ *****.

You are absolutely right, S. You are a horrible person for choosing KU and turning your back on AT Still... Obviously you didn't want it enough, sellout!

I hope you enjoy your MD education...

YOU MONEY *****!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

;) :D

The more I read these threads the more BS I hear.

With my bad eye sight. I see little difference between MD and DO degrees.

Philosophy??? How much of this is truely different?
I want some real answers, not pre-DOs or first/second year DO students.

When it comes to medical science? Isn't OMM is the main difference?

Sure the Art of medicine may be different. I will not argue with that. But this is not limited to DO schools, some MD schools have this too (prob n>20 allopathic schools that train art of medicine similar to osteopathic schools).

People always say that they would take DO over MD. But I saw a few people here who were strong advacots of DO profession, but choose MD program over DO once they where accepted. I am not putting these people down, most of us would prob do the same.

frank51 said:
The president of the AOA wrote an article in response to a statement made against D.Os, in that article he mentioned that according to a research done by New York Times (I think), M.D schools accept 1 out of every 3 applicants, while D.O schools accept 1 out of every 5 applicants.

A wise man once said: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

It's true that the applied/accepted ratio for osteopathic schools may be lower than that for allopathic schools. But the important thing to realize is that more people choose to apply to osteopathic schools because they feel they are more competitive than they would be at allopathic schools. In other words, many of these same applicants would choose to apply to more MD schools (assuming they applied to MD schools at all) if they felt their chances were reasonable at allopathic schools. The number of applicants with, say, a 3.3 GPA/26 MCAT is far greater than the number of applicants with a 3.6/30.

Funny that whoever started this thread would put it in the Pre-DO forum and not the pre-MD forum. Of course pretty much everyone in here is going to say they would choose DO over MD. Why don't you try and put it in some type of forum that is neutral and then you could get a better, more accurate poll.

P.S. I for one, with acceptances to both, chose MD over DO.

Funny that whoever started this thread would put it in the Pre-DO forum and not the pre-MD forum. Of course pretty much everyone in here is going to say they would choose DO over MD. Why don't you try and put it in some type of forum that is neutral and then you could get a better, more accurate poll.

Well, the reason I DIDN"T put it in pre-allo was because I have always found there to be a strong bias against DO in that forum, it isn't neutral at all...From reading that forum for years, literally, I had always sort of gotten the impression that the vast majority of people applied to DO schools for similar sorts of reasons, all some variation on them being more competitive there. For example, I posted not too long ago a list of schools I planned on applying to to make sure I wasn't overlooking any good out-of-state lower tier allo schools. More than a few people said "take out the DO schools and just apply to more MD schools". I madethis thread just to see if I was silly to consider taking a MD acceptance in a less-preferred location over a DO acceptance in a gorgeous locale; SHOULD that decision come up later this year. No doubt factors other than location will weigh into my decision. Honestly, my perfect scenario is only getting DO acceptances in the cities I would love to live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.