How many of you got into Pharmacy School without completing ALL prereq's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilescali

Almost there...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum (It is GREAT) and was wondering how many of you got into a school without completing all of the prereq's upon acceptance?

I am trying to decide if I should apply this year (admission fall 2005) or next year (admission fall 2006). I am taking Gen Chem II and Calculus this fall, but still have to complete both Ochem's.

According to the previous postings, it seems like some people do get accepted after only completing the first year of prereqs. Is this unusual?

I have a 3.9 GPA and would like to apply to:
1. UCSD/ USC
2. Loma Linda
3. Western
4. NVCP
5. UOP
Thanks! Any advise would be a great help!

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on the school, but i think most schools require completion of math/science pre-reqs by the spring and other pre-reqs during the summer before the fall that you are admitted. i dont think you'll be able to apply for fall 2005 unless you take chem II this summer in order to take ochem I and II in the fall and spring. hope this helps!

I haven't gotten in yet, haven't applied yet. But I will be completing my OChems, my A&Ps and Biology II after applying. But they will be done by Spring term. I plan on taking Physical Chemisty, Genetics, or microbiology next summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
jemc2000 said:
I haven't gotten in yet, haven't applied yet. But I will be completing my OChems, my A&Ps and Biology II after applying. But they will be done by Spring term. I plan on taking Physical Chemisty, Genetics, or microbiology next summer.

How many classes are you planning on taking in that summer? You don't want to take too much, b/c they are really hard classes. I applied Last fall, In the spring 04, i was taking micro 1(general), micro 2 (viral), orgo 2, orgo lab, and micro lab and a foreign language. This was a big load, but it turned out pretty well b/c my exams were all spaced out, luckily. I had a really hard time in genetics, i pulled of a B, barely. I couldn't even imagine taking it in the summer if it is a hard proffesor. I had an interview, but I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Smilescali said:
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum (It is GREAT) and was wondering how many of you got into a school without completing all of the prereq's upon acceptance?

I am trying to decide if I should apply this year (admission fall 2005) or next year (admission fall 2006). I am taking Gen Chem II and Calculus this fall, but still have to complete both Ochem's.

According to the previous postings, it seems like some people do get accepted after only completing the first year of prereqs. Is this unusual?

1. UCSD/ USC
2. Loma Linda
3. Western
4. NVCP
5. UOP

I think pharmacy schools look harder at your Organics and Microbiology grades more than the other sciences, at least that's what i heard. Some schools go ahead and give you an interview, but tell you they will wait and see your grades for the upcoming semesters.

As far as I know, all pharmacy schools give out conditional acceptances. Conditional acceptances mean that they will send you a letter out and say "Congratulations, you have been accepted into Joe Blow School of Pharmacy. blah blah blah... Matriculation is dependent on the following: (then what ever requirements you haven't met yet) Thank you and have a good day."
Does that help?

UF requires that prereqs be completed by the Summer before the entering Fall. They don't care which classes you take in the Summer as long as you will have them finished. I got a conditional acceptance around January with the requirement of Speech Communications, Biology II, Organic I and II, Chemistry II, but I had already completed everything but Organic II in Spring...they just hadn't had my grade transcript yet.

The universities should have it on their websites as to the specific time frame they require.

One word of advice, if you're looking to push it to finish in the last possible semester...be aware of possible course conflicts for your school. At my school they offered Organic I and Gen Chem II on the same day and time so I couldn't take both as I had originally planned. I didn't want to push it to the last minute because there was always the chance of another scheduling conflict, so I took Chem II at another school at the same time. It would be really bad to find your last two classes conflicting when you really needed them to get in.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I will just wait until Fall of 2005 to apply. That way I am sure I will get everything completed in time (hopefully the schools will still accept students without degrees). I also have a 2 year old and that way he will be in Kindergarden at admission:) Thanks all!

Smilescali said:
I also have a 2 year old and that way he will be in Kindergarden at admission:) Thanks all!

It won't be any easier when your son is in kindergarten. I was always told that it would get easier when my kids got older (they are 5 and 7 now), but they LIED! :laugh: It's a different kind of hard now, and they need a different kind of attention. You and I will be doing twice the homework (you'd be surprised, kinder involves A LOT of homework these days)...pharmaceutics and "how do you spell cat?" It's like starting all over again. :eek:

I think most schools want you to complete most of the pre-reqs so they can make an informed decision whether to accept you or not. Some schools look at pre-req GPA and if you only have a couple classes completed it is hard for them to make a good decision. So I think you are making a good choice by waiting.

Smilescali said:
Hi everyone,

1. UCSD/ USC
2. Loma Linda
3. Western
4. NVCP
5. UOP

What about taking the PCAT? When do you plan on taking that, if you haven't taken Organic yet? Can you still take it in the Fall (October/November) of this yr?

GatorRX said:
What about taking the PCAT? When do you plan on taking that, if you haven't taken Organic yet? Can you still take it in the Fall (October/November) of this yr?
Well if UCSD and USC are his/her top choices, then those schools don't require PCAT scores. I like that.

Also, I know UCSD is prob the hardest school to get into right now, and they are pretty much making it their standard for incoming students to have a BS degree first. It doesn't state this but over 90% have a degree upon matriculation,. That's something to consider. If I was you, I would work on experience and community service or research, the 3.9 GPA isn't everything especially with UCSD. I interviewed there, but did not get in. The girl I knwo who did get in had major major research experience combined with a high GPA. They seem very selective.

Anyways, I am not as informed about USC, so I'll refrain from tackling that school.

Good Luck!

Oneday_9 said:
Well if UCSD and USC are his/her top choices, then those schools don't require PCAT scores. I like that.

Also, I know UCSD is prob the hardest school to get into right now, and they are pretty much making it their standard for incoming students to have a BS degree first. It doesn't state this but over 90% have a degree upon matriculation,. That's something to consider. If I was you, I would work on experience and community service or research, the 3.9 GPA isn't everything especially with UCSD. I interviewed there, but did not get in. The girl I knwo who did get in had major major research experience combined with a high GPA. They seem very selective.

Anyways, I am not as informed about USC, so I'll refrain from tackling that school.

Good Luck!

What if someone were applying to a school that does require the PCAT? Would it still be advisable/OK to take the PCAT without having taken A&P, Bio II, and both Organics?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking the PCAT in October. I will have completed Bio I and Chem II, but I don't start Bio II, A&P or OChem until August. According to others here, that should be good enough. I know as far as the PCAT study guide, I pretty much am confident on the Chemistry section with only Chem I. But I'll be taking Chem II in July. From what I understand, the PCAT is basic math and vocabulary, and then mostly Chem I and Bio I. If I am wrong, I would appreciate the correction so I can be prepared.

GatorRX said:
What if someone were applying to a school that does require the PCAT? Would it still be advisable/OK to take the PCAT without having taken A&P, Bio II, and both Organics?

The PCAT contains very, very little organic. I had about 1 month of organic I when I took it and there wasn't any organic on there that hadn't been covered in my class.

The biology section was pretty much basic biology and some anatomy. I hadn't taken A & P when I took the PCAT. But, I had already taken two zoology classes which pretty much covered A & P.

I'm not sure what is covered in Bio II, since I didn't go to a state school. UF let me substitute Botany as a prerequisite.

As for the original question, when I was accepted to UF I was still taking Org II, Physics II, A & P I, Biochemistry, & Microbiology. I took A & P II in the summer.

When I took the PCAT (October '01) it was very Gen Chem II intensive.

How many of you had to take Calculus w/ Analytic Geometry? Some schools say that General Calculus is fine. It seems that most UC schools want the Analytic over General, and most private schools don't care. I haven't checked out any east coast/ midwest schools yet though. Any input?
Thanks!

jemc2000 said:
I am taking the PCAT in October. I will have completed Bio I and Chem II, but I don't start Bio II, A&P or OChem until August. According to others here, that should be good enough. I know as far as the PCAT study guide, I pretty much am confident on the Chemistry section with only Chem I. But I'll be taking Chem II in July. From what I understand, the PCAT is basic math and vocabulary, and then mostly Chem I and Bio I. If I am wrong, I would appreciate the correction so I can be prepared.

I remember being really glad that I had just taken A&PII (the physiology part - I didn't have to take part I) right before the PCAT. There were several questions that I wouldn't have been able to answer without some physiology knowledge. So if I were you, I would review a little. Maybe there's physiology Cliff's notes?

I know some schools will not let you take Organic in the summer.....so it's in your best interest to take General Chemistry II this summer and start with your organics this fall and spring.

*raises hand* I hadn't finished A&P I and II, physics I and II, o-chem II, and econ (what a perfectly useless pre-req IMO) when I applied and was accepted last winter.

Based on the pre-reqs you have left - particularly gen chem, I think you might have to wait another year...of course it doesn't hurt to put in a few apps this year and if it doesn't pan out try again the following year. I always think it's helpful to talk to the schools and let them know your situation and see what they say.

I haven't finish the psychology & speech class when I applied last year, and I had a 3.6 GPA. I got into UCSD, but waitlisted at UCSF and rejected from USC & UOP. I obtained my BA degree and now finishing up my MS. Although I didn't have any pharmacy experience, I had other healthcare related volunteer work plus research. I think it's crucial to have all the core basic science courses (g./o.chem, bio, physics) finished before applying, especially if you consider to attend pharamcy school in California.

I hope this helps!

GatorRX said:

True, I think one should always take the PCAT, just for a safety, but if you think USC and UCSD is in your league or any CA school, then forget about it, UCSF, UOP, etc. they don't require it.

As for the actual PCAT test, although I had taken O Chem I and II as well as Gen Chem I and II, if you get a few chem books or study guides this can supplement the classes. I know organic wasn't a HUGE portion of the exam, but if you get an extra section of Chemistry which could happen, then you might be looking at 20 questions. Everything was pretty basic and I used several PCAT books and did chem problems. I was in the 96th %tile on chem. I was also out of school for a year and a half before taking it.

Wow! Congrats on your admission to UCSD! I live in north San Diego and of course would just love to stay here, but I understand that I have to do what it takes to get into ANY pharmacy school.

How much emphasis does UCSD place on references? I know two doctors very well at UCSD Medical Hospital and was wondering if they might look favorably upon that. I have some medical experience, but no actual pharmacy experience.
Thanks!

I had all but one prerequisite finished when I received conditional acceptance to Ohio State. That one course was Qualitative Analysis, which I'm taking right now. I can't speak for all schools, but in general Ohio State prefers to see most of the pre-reqs complete, and they now give strong preference for candidates with (or who will be receving) bachelor's degrees.