How many of you pre-med believe in Astrology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raihan Mirza

The Lone Rider
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any pre-med here use astrology to predict the future, like when would be a good time to take the MCATs or when they will probably do really well on a class exam. I am not talking about horoscopes you read in the newpaper, but actual astrological data based on the motion of the stars and planets. I hear that its very accurate. What do you guys think? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Did you read about the amazing exploding star....I wonder if that is a good sign or a bad sign if you are about to take the MCAT? Well, astrology makes sense to me if you are going into a scientific discipline. What about black cats???

You don't need an astrological chart to pick a day to take the MCAT. Just study and decide on a day..whatever day you pick is the right day. Depending on your own judgement is critical.
All of the magical moments I have had in my life were a suprise. Anytime anyone told me my "future", I wasted time waiting for something to happen which never came to pass. IMHO, all that fortune telling stuff is crap. expensive crap. don't waste your money--spend it on Exam Krackers.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need an astrological chart to pick a day to take the MCAT. Just study and decide on a day..whatever day you pick is the right day. Depending on your own judgement is critical.
All of the magical moments I have had in my life were a suprise. Anytime anyone told me my "future", I wasted time waiting for something to happen which never came to pass. IMHO, all that fortune telling stuff is crap. expensive crap. don't waste your money--spend it on Exam Krackers.:)

Well, fine, but what about the amazing exploding star?

the amazing exploding star is actually an illusion created by the flesh eating aliens that are headed for earth. don't make a sound, but run, run for your lives!!! :D

the amazing exploding star is actually an illusion created by the flesh eating aliens that are headed for earth. don't make a sound, but run, run for your lives!!! :D

Very sarcastic. You obviously did not read the science section of the New York Times today and you obviously have no interest in astronomy....I said ASTRONOMY!!! and yes there really is an amazing exploding star that is creating orgasms in the astronomical community.

Not too keen on the astrology thing, but I will vouch that the Earth is flat. And heliocentrism is a bunch of bull.

sorry! I thought you were joking...no I didn't read the NYTimes and the OP asked about ASTROLOGY! geez....lighten up!

I believe in it to the the extent that it reveals my own inner wisdom about an issue. Basically, I think it's as useful as any form of divination. It's all a convoluted pathway to the stuff we don't know that we know. :rolleyes:

Other than that, it's a fun read. :D

I believe in astrology.

Astrology is the study of how to be so deceptively vague that you allow for almost anyone to find what they want to hear in what your saying. Fascinating stuff really.

an amazing exploding star that is creating orgasms in the astronomical community.

Okay searun...maybe there is an amazing exploding star but the existence of orgasms....now that's a little far fetched;)

i like reading horoscopes - it's wierd how accurate they are sometimes...
Astrology is inherently useless.

Nebulous phrases like "things will go well financially for you during the month of May" or "an unexpected stranger stops by to say hello" demonstrate that you can be accurate without actually conveying any useful information.

The reason they can't convey any useful information is because the astrology is not personalized. Astrology is selling the same message to anybody willing to purchase it, so all messages must be as broad as possible while hitting on the inevitables -- money, social contact, fluctuations at work.

And don't even get me started on fortune-tellers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it distressing that so many future doctors could be so close-minded to a practice that has been in existence for thousands of years, and anecdotally has been accurate for so many people. Astrology provides comfort and guidance to people in their times of need, and has far fewer side effects on the individual than modern technology. I personally have recommended astrology to numerous patients, and many of them have told me that it was very effective in their lives. Just because astrology doesn't have "scientific studies" to validate it, it doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It is very narrow-minded to dismiss it out of hand, since so many people use it regularly and really believe in it.

Oh wait . . . astrology . . . nevermind, I guess that doesn't fall under Complementary & Alternative Medicine after all . . . you can just ignore this post. :D

I find it distressing that so many future doctors could be so close-minded to a practice that has been in existence for thousands of years, and anecdotally has been accurate for so many people. Astrology provides comfort and guidance to people in their times of need, and has far fewer side effects on the individual than modern technology. I personally have recommended astrology to numerous patients, and many of them have told me that it was very effective in their lives. Just because astrology doesn't have "scientific studies" to validate it, it doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It is very narrow-minded to dismiss it out of hand, since so many people use it regularly and really believe in it.

Oh wait . . . astrology . . . nevermind, I guess that doesn't fall under Complementary & Alternative Medicine after all . . . you can just ignore this post. :D

:lol: Nice; clever.

Isn't that a new sub-speciality of medicine?

Treating the hollywood STARS

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

people seem to widely criticize astrology, yet religion seems to be openly accepted around these parts.

I guess we don't want to believe that the sky controls our fate unless there happens to be an old man up there.

isn't that interesting...

I believe in astrology.

Astrology is the study of how to be so deceptively vague that you allow for almost anyone to find what they want to hear in what your saying. Fascinating stuff really.

Word.

it's easy for a paranoid person like me to get carried away with the slightest ill prediction on some website for test day....

Do I believe in it? I don't know. But I'm not even going to try.......

This whole thread has to be a joke...right?

Oh and on a side note, lol @ the thought that astronomers are capable of even having an orgasm!! :laugh: That's funny.

I wouldn't base my life on astrology, but it does seem to work often times. I see it occuring more often in romances, where you see people with similar signs hooking up. Then again there are also exceptions.

Thus I believe in it somewhat, but for the most part Astrology doesn't control your life 100% , its more 33%. What you do with your horoscope is more important, probably 67%. Just because you have a strong sign like a Leo or Scorpio doesn't mean your going to be successful and neither does having a weaker sign like Virgo or Aquarius mean your a failure.

Life is what you make of it! So don't base your decision 100% on astrology.

Thus I believe in it somewhat, but for the most part Astrology doesn't control your life 100% , its more 33%. What you do with your horoscope is more important, probably 67% . . .

Life is what you make of it! So don't base your decision 100% on astrology.

Remember kids, only 33%!

:laugh:

What a joke.

The characteristics of the stars and planets are unrelated to the events of an individual person's life. Think about it. If you want the answers to what lies within, then look within. If you want the answers to what lies without, then look without. Don't confuse the two.

Astrology = Confirmation Bias

I would run for the hills if I thought that my physician was worried about malign influence from Neptune.

I'm not too hot on riding in an airplane piloted by someone who believes in the Rapture either, but that's another story.

people seem to widely criticize astrology, yet religion seems to be openly accepted around these parts.

I guess we don't want to believe that the sky controls our fate unless there happens to be an old man up there.

Do you know who Dietrich Bonnhoefer is?

wikipedia tells me he was a pastor.

Bonnhoefer was one of the greatest theologians of the 20th century. He was in his mid thirties when he was offered a professorship at Union Theological Seminary in New York City. He was brilliant and in his prime when the Nazi invasion of Poland occurred and World War II began. Bonhoeffer could have remained safe in New York city and continued his teaching career at Union. But based upon his understanding of the theological imperative, he left Union and returned to Germany and participated in an effort to overthrow Hitler. The plot to assassinate Hitler was discovered and Bonnhoefer was arrested and imprisoned in a Nazi concentration camp. He remained in the camp for more than a year and comforted the sick and dying, mostly jews, some gays. He never lost his courage and never gave into dispair but always shared his sense of divine love with his fellow prisoners in the concentration camp. He gave hope to those who otherwise would have been overcome by their suffering. He was hanged by the Nazis the day before the concentration camp was liberated by allied forces. Those who witnessed his execution said that he died calmly and without fear.

I'm not too hot on riding in an airplane piloted by someone who believes in the Rapture either, but that's another story.
Raptor?

78532719.jpg

78532722.jpg

I have no idea what that was...but I love it.

Astrology makes verifiable/testable predictions, religion doesn't. Ergo, astrology can be falsified, and religion can't.

Astrology makes verifiable/testable predictions, religion doesn't. Ergo, astrology can be falsified, and religion can't.

I guess you're right. With all the vagueness of the holy scriptures' claims, they escape falsification. convenient. come, let's have an aphorism--"god works in mysterious ways." please.

and searun, yes, I know--I can read wikipedia myself. tell me why I'm supposed to care what some religious zealot did way back when.

oh and lolz at jesus raptor

I guess you're right. With all the vagueness of the holy scriptures' claims, they escape falsification. convenient. come, let's have an aphorism--"god works in mysterious ways." please.

Goodness, you're working so hard to pick a fight! Too bad no one's biting . . .

Goodness, you're working so hard to pick a fight! Too bad no one's biting . . .

i had my last final on tuesday, and I don't go home until tomorrow. my tv is gone therefore no xbox. i need to entertain myself somehow.

i had my last final on tuesday, and I don't go home until tomorrow. my tv is gone therefore no xbox. i need to entertain myself somehow.

Congrats.

And remember, Jesus loves you.

Lmfao @ raptorjesus.

you mean there are actually people out there who don't believe in stars and planets and stuff?

and searun, yes, I know--I can read wikipedia myself. tell me why I'm supposed to care what some religious zealot did way back when.

Well, since you have the emotional depth, intellectual perception, and historical perspective of a fruit fly, or, giving you the benefit of the doubt, Beavis and Butthead, there is not much point in continuing this conversation with another dumb, sadly uneducated, undergraduate.

Would this be a bad time to mention that Mother Teresa was a sadist? All in His service, of course...

Well, since you have the emotional depth, intellectual perception, and historical perspective of a fruit fly, or, giving you the benefit of the doubt, Beavis and Butthead, there is not much point in continuing this conversation with another dumb, sadly uneducated, undergraduate.

I'm not entirely sure I deserved that

I think this Weird Al video sums up my view on astrology pretty well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIVeyTG9KB0

WEIRD AL YANKOVIC LYRICS
"Your Horoscope For Today"
Aquarius
There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the back of a speeding bus
Fill that void in your pathetic life by playing Whack-A-Mole seventeen hours a day
Pisces
Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus
You are the true Lord of the Dance, no matter what those idiots at work say
Aries
The look on your face will be priceless when you find that forty pound watermelon in your colon
Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then give a hickey to Meryl Streep
Taurus
You will never find true happiness - what you gonna do, cry about it?
The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep
That's your horoscope for today (that's your horoscope for today)
That's your horoscope for today
Gemini
Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive flatulence
Your love life will run into trouble when your fiance hurls a javelin through your chest
Cancer
The position of Jupiter says you should spend the rest of the week face down in the mud
Try not to shove a roll of duct tape up your nose while taking your driver's test
Leo
Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple it to your boss's face, oh no
Eat a bucket of tuna-flavored pudding, then wash it down with a gallon of strawberry Quik
Virgo
All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except for you
Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick
Now you may find it inconceivable or at the very least a bit unlikely
that the relative position of the planets and the stars could have
a special deep significance or meaning that exclusively applies to only you,
but let me give you my assurance that these forecasts and predictions
are all based on solid, scientific, documented evidence, so you would have
to be some kind of ***** not to realize that every single one of the is absolutely true.
Where was I?
Libra
A big promotion is just around the corner for someone much more talented that you
Laughter is the very best medicine, remember that when your appendix bursts next week
Scorpio
Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming from an open window
Work a little harder on improving your low self-esteem, you stupid freak
Sagittarius
All your friends are laughing behind your back (kill them)
Take down all those naked pictures of Ernest Borgnine you've got hanging in your den
Capricorn
The stars say that you're an exciting and wonderful person, but you know they're lying
If I were you, I'd lock my doors and windows and never never never never never leave my house again
That's your horoscope for today (yay yay yay yay yay)

not me...but my sister keep trying to get me to believe in it. If she's correct I'll be getting in to school soon, although I'm not supposed to do somehting because mercury is in retrograde... :confused:who knows!

Any pre-med here use astrology to predict the future, like when would be a good time to take the MCATs or when they will probably do really well on a class exam. I am not talking about horoscopes you read in the newpaper, but actual astrological data based on the motion of the stars and planets. I hear that its very accurate. What do you guys think? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:
:thumbdown:. I don't think I'd want to go to a doctor who believes that crap

Wow.. that was ridiculous. But i am pretty sure raptor jesus would approve!