How many of you work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys work and still manages to do well with a full load of courses (15 units+)? How many hours per week do you work and what do you do (if you don't mind me asking)? Do you work mostly during the week or weekend? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

How many of you guys work and still manages to do well with a full load of courses (15 units+)? How many hours per week do you work and what do you do (if you don't mind me asking)? Do you work mostly during the week or weekend? Thanks!!

I work about 20-30 hours depending on my schedule. I am an admin assistant for the University Registrar, tutor chem & teach hip hop....it's difficult but hey, gotta pay for stuff somehow :)

For the first three years in college, I used to work about 20 hours a week. I used to be a tutor for Mathematics and Biology departments. :):D:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked full time (at least 36 hrs/week) throughout my entire undergrad career. Not only do I have a young family to support, but I've had to pay for the majority of my education on my own (including those nasty application fees & cost of interviews!). The whole time I've had the same job, an analyst at a private microbiology lab. Semesters in which I took tough classes I had to cut it down to part time school, but for the most part I've taken at least 10 credits per semester.

If I could do it over again, I might try to get more financial aid instead of working & concentrate on school. I was able to maintain a 3.6, but I could have done better and gotten more volunteer service & research done.

I've worked for the majority of my college education up until very recently because my circumstances changed. I usually worked around 20 hours a week, but my last job was in retail and there were a handful of weeks during the year that I worked 40 hours. I took it a little easy my first year, and then I took at least 15 credits each semester, with a few semesters at 17-18 credits. I've been financially independent from my parents since I was 18, so I've had to pay for my education. It's the best thing they've ever done for me though because when I graduate in May I will own my degree in every possible way. :D

well i worked all throughout undergrad after my 1st semester ( i slept so damn much i was annoyed). i've worked as a tutor/ ta/ starbucks/etc...approx. 25 hrs a week while taking 16 credits...my hardest semester was my last...although i took only 9 hrs (orgo 2, lab, and biochem).. i worked 2 jobs- one in which i was a t.a. w/ 100 students, volunteered 12 hrs a week, did research 7 hrs a week, and had 2 crazy psycho officer positions,studing for the dat and taking kaplan...i was so pist off all the time but i managed to get everything done... i actually do better in school when i am super busy...

For the last year of my post-baccalaureate program, worked ~30 hours (2 part time jobs) a week with a 21 credit load. Got ~ 6-7 hours of sleep a night, and maybe a little less on pre-exam nights - wasn't too bad. Just have to manage your time out well.

Ever since I got married (1 1/2 years ago) I have been cut off from the family bank!!! Sucks but true. I have worked 30 hours a week during that time and have taken 13-14 units per semester. It really has not been too bad.

I have worked 20-30 hours a week my whole college life! 2 years of which I have also been married.

I was lucky and didn't have to work through undergrad, but I did end up working part time for a year and a half because I felt like I needed more to do. I worked from 12-25 hours a week, I did research for a little bit and I was a waitress a few months.

30 hours a week as a bank teller, then back up to 40 during summertime. The least amount of hours I took in a semester was 14, the most was 20. Needless to say, I studied on the weekends....

Members don't see this ad :)
i work at least 40 a week.
the rents dont help out at all.
my GPA would be 93472% better if i didnt work, but i'm a dental assistant so the perks are there as well.
also struggling has helped me grow alot in many ways i think its usually worth the hassel (except for the 3 hours of a sleep a night and the random mental breakdowns)
plus my job replaces the shadowing aspect =)

25-28 hours a week so far, im a sophmore in college now.

It wasnt bad at all in the first year because most of the material I saw in H.S. Now it gets a bit trickier but you get used to it after a while. I study on MUNI or BART during my commutes. Plus great benefits.

My parents don't pay for college either, but it's from my own choice that they don't. They offered to pay 100% and support me completely but I wanted to do things on my own my own way, my parents were too controlling. It was both the smartest and stupidest thing I have ever done in my life. In a couple years it will only be 'smartest'.

And I work at the Bux which really Sux.. lol, j/k.. I like making coffee and starbucks is kinda fun and low/stress except during the morning rush.

did work study for very short time in undergrad, then mostly summer jobs. had research job through jr/sr years. full time research for a little over a year, then started masters full time last year, but same job part time (~10-20 hrs/wk). gotta pay them bills!

i work at least 40 a week.
the rents dont help out at all.
my GPA would be 93472% better if i didnt work, but i'm a dental assistant so the perks are there as well.
also struggling has helped me grow alot in many ways i think its usually worth the hassel (except for the 3 hours of a sleep a night and the random mental breakdowns)
plus my job replaces the shadowing aspect =)

Bingo, Now maybe people know why I laughed in my earlier post 20 to 30 hours working is like a dream for me. working avrage 50+ hours, I could stand for GPA 3.4. I wish I could work less! :(

I worked 70 hours last week.:scared: At least I don't have to go to school.

I worked 70 hours last week.:scared: At least I don't have to go to school.

blankguy, how about 55 hours with 17 credit hours ? including Biochemestry and Genetic. :cool: and I just passed my final exams for 5 hours wintsemester last week , one A and one B

blankguy, how about 55 hours with 17 credit hours ? including Biochemestry and Genetic. :cool: and I just passed my final exams for 5 hours wintsemester last week , one A and one B

Now you are bragging:cool:

Now you are bragging:cool:

I am not bragging, believe me, I don't have any choice. I can not get any loan plus I want to fill up 90 hours before 2008 class starting, you can ceck my privious posts, I explained about that.

I worked 5 hours a week as a fitness instructor and took 15 credits to maintain 3.66 GPA. Y'all are CRAZY! ... but good job anyways:rolleyes:

I am not bragging, believe me, I don't have any choice. I can not get any loan plus I want to fill up 90 hours before 2008 class starting, you can ceck my privious posts, I explained about that.

I was just teasing. This experience will give you a huge edge over the more naive predents. :thumbup: Way to go. You certainly know what it means to earn things.

I work about 15 hours a week (on weekends) and I'm taking 13 credits this semester.

I could/should probably work more though.

I work at a dental office approx 10 hours a week.
I also have a research job.

On top of it, I have 20 credits which is 2 cred above max.