How many of you would give your young children (girls) Gardasil?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many of you would give Gardasil at the recommended age?

• I'm a father (or would be) and I would give it to my girls

Votes: 46 44.2%
  • I'm a father (or would be) and I would NOT give it to my girls

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • I'm a mother (or would be) and I would give it to my girls

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • I'm a mother (or would be) and I would NOT give it to my girls

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters
The whole "phase 4" trial thing bugs me. By the time my infant daughter is 11, probably. Right now - no. But the money being wasted on the public awareness ads is entirely misplaced. A significant number of well-validated primary prevention programs could be funded with that money which would likely be as effective in cervical cancer prevention (to say nothing of AIDS and other STDs).

- H

I'm surprised that there should be a difference at all in regards to if you were a father or mother and whether you would give your daughter the vaccine.

Members don't see this ad :)
My daughter is never having sex until married, so no. Haha, just kidding. By the time she is of sexual age, there will be enough studies to support its use or to show any possible harm. I think the vaccine has already been shown to be safe, and it's likely that continued studies/observation will demonstrate the same.

Money is being spent on a public ad campaign by Merck because the drug is a huge profit to them.

Money is being spent on a public ad campaign by Merck because the drug is a huge profit to them.

I know the motivation. I am just adamantly against direct to consumer drug marketing.

I also agree that by the time my daughter needs it, the effects will be better known. But if I had to decide today, I'd say "no".

- H

I don't get why they want to give it to adolescents rather than infants like they do for the HepB vaccine. I think that might make it less politicized, because then policymakers wouldn't have to make assumptions about what age girls are more likely to become sexually active.

I don't plan on creating any for a few years, so maybe then when its been around a little longer. However, if i was a father now, then no.

its interesting (and relieving) to see some of you choose to wait for better long term numbers on Gardisil. I wonder do you people feel the same about the relatively recent HepB vaccine? This too seems to suffer from good long term numbers as well.

I know the motivation. I am just adamantly against direct to consumer drug marketing.

As am I. I think the pharmaceutical industry has realized that they get better results with direct-to-consumer advertising as opposed to drug reps visiting physicians. This is part of the reason why Pfizer announced it would lay off so many pharmaceutical reps (in addition to its projected loss in revenue when Lipitor's patent expires in 2010).

There was a recently article in American Medical News that stated 25% of patients ask for a specific medication that they saw in an advertisement, and more than half of physicians write for the prescription when asked.

That definitely leads to higher sales than marketing directed at physicians.

Even with direct to consumer marketing, it is our responsiblity to inform our patients. I would even go as far as to say that medical schools need to include dealing with pharmaceutical companies and reps in our education.

To the OP original question, I would give it to my daughter now. If it can prevent a disease and benefit>risk, then go for it. Most parents that I counsel have not been put off by the fact the HPV is considered an STD.

im glad there is a vaccine and if there's no safety issues, i dont think id object to it being given to my girls in the future.

however, i think the ads on TV are somewhat stupid and misleading. "a cancer you can get from a virus!" give me a break. they make it sound like u can get it from someone coughing on you. we shouldnt have to trick ppl into this.

i dont entirely see the big deal about it being for an std (using this as a reason to be against the vaccine). i highly doubt that ppl will have sex more recklessly (no protection, etc) because of the vaccine. if hiv isnt enough of a deterrent, hpv definitely isnt.

As a father I say....

Whatever happened to chastity belts???!!!! :eek:

Anyway in reality even if my daughter (4 yo now) doesn't have sex until marriage I'd still want to immunize her as you never know what her husband is carrying or "picks up"! :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
As a father, right now I would say no.

However, a few years of a proven safety record will probably change my mind. That being said, I only have a son, and I would be concerned about a number of other things if he managed to get cervical cancer.:D

As a father, right now I would say no.

However, a few years of a proven safety record will probably change my mind. That being said, I only have a son, and I would be concerned about a number of other things if he managed to get cervical cancer.:D

As far as sons are concerned I wonder if Gardasil also protects against SCC of the penis and/or genital warts ... I know genital warts are a different serotype ... bla bla blah

I just had the Gardisil vaccination a few days ago. I am confident that this vaccination will work wonders, as it eliminates the four different types of HPV and has been proved to decrease presence of cervical cancer. Although it doesn't prevent cervical cancer of those who have already been diagnosed, I had the vaccine because women in my family have been diagnosed with cervical/related cancers, and I pray to God that I am never diagnosed with it!

I just had the Gardisil vaccination a few days ago. I am confident that this vaccination will work wonders, as it eliminates the four different types of HPV and has been proved to decrease presence of cervical cancer. Although it doesn't prevent cervical cancer of those who have already been diagnosed, I had the vaccine because women in my family have been diagnosed with cervical/related cancers, and I pray to God that I am never diagnosed with it!

Yup, I just finished the 3 dose course of this vaccine in January. It really does give a girl peace of mind. :thumbup:

I'm sorry to hear about all of the cancer in your family. I hope that this vaccine really does give us all the protection they say it will :oops: .

Here in Texas, our governor decided that he would win over the hearts and minds of voters by making it mandatory for school girls to be vaccinated (I think the age he said was around middle school). There's been a big stink about it and it hasn't gone over as well as he probably thought it would. There has been the expected arguments against the vaccine by opposition of the new rule, but everyone knows that the real cause of the reaction is the "The government can't make be do anything this is a free country" reaction to any new *mandatory* government inactment...

... and to be honest with you I hate it when the government tries to make forced/mandatory clauses as well..."We are the government, we will decide what is best for you... resistance is futile!"

Of course, our Governor is a lame duck Governor, so winning the hearts and minds of voters isn't really part of his agenda. Greasing his buddy that used to be part of his administration but is now a Merck executive is of much higher priority.

I'm of the mind that girls should be vaccinated with Gardasil and I plan on taking my own kids to get the shot...but it occurred to me the other day that I'm not setting up any appointment for myself, and a large part of that is because I would either have to 1) Hide it from my parents (lame and weird) or 2) Have an extremely long and unpleasant conversation with them convincing them that I'm not earning money on the side through various misdeeds. It's ridiculous that there's such a social stigma around Gardasil because it has to do with sex and women.

...It's ridiculous that there's such a social stigma around Gardasil because it has to do with sex and women.

Perhaps this is because it wouldn't be an issue if girls simply kept their legs together instead of whoring around.

Perhaps this is because it wouldn't be an issue if girls simply kept their legs together instead of whoring around.

and the guys? oh that's right, they can sleep around, or "***** around" and don't have to worry about cancer. or be told they're whoring around. or be told to keep their legs together. or be as greatly affected by an unplanned pregnancy. or be called a "boy" even if they are a grown adult (as we so often call grown, fully educated women "girls")

and the guys? oh that's right, they can sleep around, or "***** around" and don't have to worry about cancer. or be told they're whoring around. or be told to keep their legs together. or be as greatly affected by an unplanned pregnancy. or be called a "boy" even if they are a grown adult (as we so often call grown, fully educated women "girls")

What on earth are you blathering about? To be at risk for cervical cancer, you need a cervix. Therefore, this unfortunate burden is obviously placed on girls/females/femi-nazis/women if you want to protect yourself.

Lighten up with your "girly" insecurity. You're a girl, I'm a boy. It's just an expression. I've never understood why chicks get so riled up over stuff like that. Reminds me of those residents who demand students call them "doctor."

See, now I thought you were joking. Then you had to go and say something ignorant. Both men and women can get HPV. It is so prevalant in the population you can get it even if you only have one partner (if that partner has had more than one, and not necessarily a lot more than one). Yes, unsafe sexual activities can increase your chances, but the blushing virgin bride is at risk if her husband has prior sexual contact. So, while abstinence from sexual activity is one way of controlling the risk, I hope you understand that it isn't a viable option for everyone (unless extinction of the human race is your goal).

See, now I thought you were joking. Then you had to go and say something ignorant. Both men and women can get HPV. It is so prevalant in the population you can get it even if you only have one partner (if that partner has had more than one, and not necessarily a lot more than one). Yes, unsafe sexual activities can increase your chances, but the blushing virgin bride is at risk if her husband has prior sexual contact. So, while abstinence from sexual activity is one way of controlling the risk, I hope you understand that it isn't a viable option for everyone (unless extinction of the human race is your goal).

Of course males should avoid promiscuity also, but the thread was talking about cervical cancer. People can sleep with as many people as they want to, but the fact is the risk goes up. It's interesting how, when someone suggests to not sleep around, most people throw their hands in the air and act like that's impossible....like trying to quit smoking or something.

It's not just a matter of not sleeping around. In this case you are at risk by just having one sexual encounter. Since asking everyone in the world to abstain from sex completely is out of the question, a vaccine to reduce this particular risk is a better option.

It's not just a matter of not sleeping around. In this case you are at risk by just having one sexual encounter. Since asking everyone in the world to abstain from sex completely is out of the question, a vaccine to reduce this particular risk is a better option.

Thread Title: Would you give your YOUNG children (girls) Gardasil?

Thread Title: Would you give your YOUNG children (girls) Gardasil?

as we are all aware of.....

dpmd et al was simply pointing out that it's not just a simple case of women/girls "whoring around" and that they "just need to keep their legs together"

as we are all aware of.....

dpmd et al was simply pointing out that it's not just a simple case of women/girls "whoring around" and that they "just need to keep their legs together"

That's fine. I was just trying to bring the topic back to its original purpose.

I think that giving it to young girls is the best way to reduce risk. If the recommendation is to give the vaccine when about to become sexually active, some girls will be exposed because they don't want to tell their parents that they are going to have sex. By separating the vaccine from the idea of their child having sex, maybe people will be more accepting of it (and therefore more girls will be protected). I can understand people arguing from the standpoint of this being a new vaccine, and concerns over long term results. I just don't get the people who think that the vaccine is some kind of incentive for promiscuity, or those who don't want to reduce cervical cancer since it is the "punishment" for "whoring around".

Fortunately, approval for the next HPV vaccine is just around the corner which will be indicated for both BOYS and GIRLS.

The idea is to vaccinate PRIOR to sexual activity - thus, we use the dimunitive of both genders.......which, after a time, will most likely become routine in the way of all childhood vaccinations.

Those who opt out will most likely opt out of all vaccinations - we will never change those folks who feel their own moral/religious/personal belief systems are more important than the public health nature of the diseases which the vaccinations project protect against - nor should we - that is a basis of what we, in this country, belive is the rights of parents.

However, we are here, at the beginning of this century, with the means to diminsh the incidence of a cancer! For those who, like myself, belive it is not only in the interest of public health, but also the personal health of my own daughter......the greater interest to me is the monumental research which has uncovered that viruses can indeed cause human cancer (we have known for a long time it could in plants). It is just unfortunate this first vaccine has been tied to a sexually transmitted disease.

So...for this one moment in time, we can change this one cancer. But...fortunately, research will continue & we might see how other, perhaps, yet unidentified pathogens, might cause other cancers - some which might affect just one gender, one ethnic group, one geographic group - perhaps any or all of us, whomever......it might not just be young people....think outside the box about what vaccines might do?????

Whatever you personally decide, your decision is as valid and important as anyone else's. However, to discount the strides this vaccine has made, just because it is tied to a sexually transmitted disease is short-sighted - IMO only.

What on earth are you blathering about? To be at risk for cervical cancer, you need a cervix. quote]

Deleting the rest of your chauvinist drivel, I pose the question: How do the cervix owners GET the HPV, genius??? Just because a guy can't get cancer doesn't mean he can't infect a woman with HPV, which is in fact, the whole point, isn't it?

Maybe if guys would just keep their pants on we wouldn't have all these problems. :rolleyes:

What on earth are you blathering about? To be at risk for cervical cancer, you need a cervix. quote]

Deleting the rest of your chauvinist drivel, I pose the question: How do the cervix owners GET the HPV, genius??? Just because a guy can't get cancer doesn't mean he can't infect a woman with HPV, which is in fact, the whole point, isn't it?

Maybe if guys would just keep their pants on we wouldn't have all these problems. :rolleyes:

takes two to tango :D

Cervical cancer is different than say small pox or polio, because you actually have to choose to engage in activity to get it. No one coughs HPV on you as you walk down the street. Now, after a few more years of safety data, as a woman, I'd probably get it.

takes two to tango :D

Yeah that's exactly what I was saying... there was an earlier comment about how if women just kept their legs closed... :thumbdown:

I would not get this vaccine right now. I have a 14yo sexually active step daughter (don't get me started, she doesn't live with us) who, while in a long term relationship and has only been with one person (they have experienced all their 'firsts' together), I don't know if I would recommend it for her or not. Hep B- yes. Gardisil -- it's so new, I just don't feel confident about it. Would I give it to a 9yo? No.